Good move SCCA.

Protech Racing

Thanks for reducing the needed time at the races for Majors. Now the people with real jobs can make more races without giving up Thurs, fri , Sat and Sun.

From Eric Prill; Event Format and Schedules
Survey feedback from the last several years has consistently asked for a way to shorten the commitment required, particularly for three-day events. Given the travel miles many of you are logging, even without testing, a three-day event is often a four- or five-day commitment. Whether you’re a driver, crew, volunteer or supporter of one of these groups, we recognize that your time is valuable! Because of this, we are shifting to a model where practice is the first session on Friday. Some events already did this in 2015, but most three-days started with qualifying. While this seems like a minor change, it accomplishes several things. First, it gives drivers that can’t test the ability to get some track time before it counts. It also delays the “money” session for qualifying until Saturday morning. More often than not, and particularly in warmer months, cooler temperatures bring faster lap times. Having two qualifiers on Friday is a further requirement to be ready to run for the pole in the first official session, something that provides an advantage to those drivers that test the day before. Finally, it means that three-day events will have three sessions prior to the Saturday race, which wasn’t a universal practice in 2015.

The other significant change will be the return of Sunday morning final/second qualifying for 2-day events. Drivers have asked for this, and we’ve found a way to accommodate it, even with as many as seven run groups. Sundays may run a little longer than in 2015, but everyone gets an additional session and more useful track time. Sunday grids will be based on the fastest lap time in any qualifying or race session for that class.

It also delays the “money” session for qualifying until Saturday morning. More often than not, and particularly in warmer months, cooler temperatures bring faster lap times. Having two qualifiers on Friday is a further requirement to be ready to run for the pole in the first official session, something that provides an advantage to those drivers that test the day before. Finally, it means that three-day events will have three sessions prior to the Saturday race, which wasn’t a universal practice in 2015.
I think this is the biggest thing. When all qualifying was done on Friday, you HAD to be ready to go for the pole first thing Friday morning, because the track is pretty much never faster in the afternoon. That's real tough if you didn't do the test day, especially if the track is new to you, you haven't been there in a long time, or you're still working with the car on something.

I'm planning on doing the Road Atlanta event this March, and although I have a lot of laps around that track, I haven't been there in 5.5 years. Because of that, I had been making my plans to be do at least the afternoon test sessions on Thursday. Now though, if I know I can get two sessions on Friday AND an additional qualifying session on Saturday morning, that need drops considerably, and saves me money from the test day and a day of vacation.

I also like the tighter time schedule on Sunday, as that day has really had a lot of down "cold track" time the past couple of years. Make the "max time" requirement closer to what it takes to run the "max laps", and chop some additional time off the "turnaround time" that's been built into the schedule. There's been a whole lot of track time on Sunday that the regions are paying for, which we haven't been utilizing recently, so hopefully this changes that.

kruck":1ttfnvkc said:
I also like the tighter time schedule on Sunday, as that day has really had a lot of down "cold track" time the past couple of years. Make the "max time" requirement closer to what it takes to run the "max laps", and chop some additional time off the "turnaround time" that's been built into the schedule. There's been a whole lot of track time on Sunday that the regions are paying for, which we haven't been utilizing recently, so hopefully this changes that.

Part of the "cold track" time is that HQ is requiring a "time specific" schedule (group x at 3:15, group y at 3:45, etc.). We had always used a "followed by" schedule to eliminate down time (group 1 at 0900, followed by group 2, etc.). This puts the onus on the drivers to be alert and make sure they're paying attention to who's on track. It also saves a BUNCH of time.

Dayle

Is there a way to stay on top of the call to grid besides the track PA system? Is there a scanner channel that can be monitored?

Erickz":1ewtyo3h said:
Is there a way to stay on top of the call to grid besides the track PA system? Is there a scanner channel that can be monitored?

Erick,
Most races feed the live T&S to an app called Race Monitor. I use it all the time to keep track of things. Melinda uses it while I'm on track to let me know about my position, lap times, etc. Very handy

Dayle

Erickz":krxii4zj said:
Some of the local tracks have the PA tied to a track-specific radio frequency so track folk can make PA announcements via radio..

Maybe you can find that information and program it into your scanner.

Oh yea, I like this too.

However being in Colorado with the small turnouts I think we could run a full Majors in one day.

Not so happy about this. Time to recalculate the fuel cell again.

In 2016, we are extending the race length to 50 miles (consistent with Runoffs race lengths at Road America and Daytona) with a 35-minute limit at most events. This gives us the opportunity to have more laps while actually using less time in the day. With the time saved in the overall Sunday schedule, we’re able to add the morning qualifiers in two-day events.

Of course, if the full course caution flies or it rains, all bets are off. But this is the exception, and not the rule.

disquek":glb9mt48 said:
Jon,

Just coast the last few hundred yards to save fuel.

88-o

-Kyle

That was my plan for Daytona. I figured I'd be far enough ahead to do that.

Yunick!!!

Reading some of his ingenious stuff is way over the top of the rule gray area. Some of the $hit that came out of A.J's mouth after he ran a NASCAR race and returned to USAC was also way over the top.

Crewed on Jack Bowsher's USAC team for three years in the late 60's for which A.J. was under Ford contract to drive. Stories from days gone by, unreal.

We were going to go with the two day Majors at Atlanta, but with the new requirements from National, there was no way we could make it happen. So, it will be a three day event again. There's three sessions before the Saturday race so unless you have something to test on the car, I'd think you'd be ready to race without the track test day on Thursday.

I'm at Homestead Majors right now and the prod /GTL group is the smallest group. I didn't count cars but I believe there are more GTL cars than any prod class. Saw at least 5 EP cars including National Champion Greg Ira. Event T shirt has his car on it. There's at least 4 FP cars and 4 HP cars. I heard Bartell was fastest in HP. Kip Vansteenburg looked really fast in his EP Porsche.

Weather reached high 70's with a a little rain but not enough to get track wet.

David Dewhurst":mt2y764f said:
Yunick!!!
Oops. yeah, that guy. I was on a conference call with work when I was posting that response. wasn't paying enough attention to either conversation!

switching some of the races to 2 day stuff made me very very happy.... I know its not ideal for some, but its making it semi-possible for me to qualify for runoffs....time away from work and family is incredibly valuable and difficult to get for some of us.

I like the idea of the shorter schedule but the SCCA really needs to do something about letting us in before the test day is over. I have an 8 am practice tomorrow which I figured was sufficient without going to the test day. The problem is that they won't let us in the paddock unt 5:30. So I will have to get unloaded and setup in the dark. So while the new schedule may eliminate the need to attend the test day, in my case I should have attended because I may not be able to get gas and tires before my practice.

Back