G Force T-5

KrisP

What would it take to adapt a G Force t-5 to a Datsun L series motor. Does it matter whether the t-5 was a GM or Ford type. Thanks ...Kris

Talked to G force about it last week.

You can use the bellhousing from a 280ZX turbo and the tranny should bolt on. you need to watch the dowel and the spline on the input shaft though. A dodge shaft is too big to fit the nissan/datsun pilot bearing size, but you can use a chevy shaft and drill out the pilot bearing a little. for input shaft spline, you just call up your favorite clutch company and tell them you need a disc of whatever size with the chevy pattern.

keep in mind that G-Force no longer makes parts for their dog ring T-5s, so getting parts for them is going to be a bear in a year or two. There are a few boxes out there for good price, but being able to repair it in a couple years is the reason I haven't bought one.

I didn't know that they stopped making parts for these transmissions, thats the problem I'm trying to get away from with the option2 box that I have now. Thanks...Kris

Yup, same issue. I talked to a guy the other day about a tranny Nissan made specifically for the Z32. Dog ring, stock case. road race ratios. SWEET! But parts? nonexistant. hope you know a cheap machinist!

The other option for G Force is their synchro boxes. they still build a synchro box with the same ratios. might double check that they plan on continuing those, but they still seem available for sale new...

Just an option, several datsun/nissan racers are using the 280zx 5 speeds (cheap and plentful) and running higher gear ratios (4.37, 4.44, 4.62 ect). I have heard they are happy with and the diff gearing and are easy to find in the off road trucks so you could regear your existing diffs.
I think Don Ahrnes down in the SEDIV had a lot of experience with this on his EP Z car befor he sold it. You might want to ask him? It would be a lot less expensive than having to go to a custom system.

If you want to do a dog ring tranny on the cheap, use a Jerico 4 spd. I sold a Nissan type conversion last year. They are easy to do using the 83 turbo belhousing. You just need to weld a couple ears on it and machine some off the face of it. It just means you have no pit gear. I think I sold the complete package for under 3k with Tilton throwout bearing. Sorry, I have no more Jericos kicking around. And you may have to do a little mod to the tunnel in your car. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JERICO-4 ... 43a48b4712 Here's your tranny. Hope this helps.
Chris

I installed a G-Force/Tex Racing SR1 in my car last fall. It is like the Jerico but it is a top shift version. They can be found on ebay. They not a current model but share all the same parts with the current G-Force GSR which has a top rail shifter like the T5. Be aware that some of these have a large 29 spline input shaft and you can only get a 7.5" clutch disc from Tilton but they do have a 26 spline Chevy input shaft as an option. I picked up a 26 spline input and installed it into the transmission.

You can find the G-Force GSR transmission for sale also but the price has gone up since they are now used in the Nationwide cars starting last fall.

It is a 4 speed transmission and I set it up to use all 4 gears on the track. You do have to slip the clutch to get it moving and I changed to a little smaller clutch master cylinder to give me a little more pedal travel. Once the car is moving I did not use the clutch.

I went with the top shift because my car has a narrow transmission tunnel and a side shift transmission adds about 4 inches width to the drivers side of the transmission. For my car those extend too much into the foot box and I would have to move the pedals over.

The Jerico and G-Force transmission do weight a little more then some other options, 65 lbs dry, but all the weight is low and at the center of the car. For the SR1 all the weight is in the gears and shafts. The case is made of magnesium and is very light weight. The dog faces are also splined on to the gears so if you need to replace a dog, you do not have to get a new gear set.

Back