Future; GP & HP brought back; Growth by absorbing GT4/5/L

Its a horrible idea to have 1800 lb cars in the same class as 3200 lb cars(T1 and gt3). I'm guessing your a steward.
Chris

Chris,
I don't think he's a steward, but I believe he drives one of the 3200 lb cars, not one of the 1800 lb ones...

No- I'm a T1 guy.

Just trying to look for a way to reduce classes and give us all a lot of people to race with in our 'new' classes.

The SCCA club racing scene is becoming like Solo I.

Again- just trying to think outside the box, but look at the Goodwood Revival, when you had Minis racing equally against Ford Falcons. Who cares about weight? It's about lap times and overall performance.

And by the way- as I said, don't look at the exact class break downs I listed. It's conceptual. The combination of old classes to for the new classes wasn't the point of my idea. It's the big picture concept.

Maybe it's T1 with GT2...

jasonberkeley":1yi5mdf0 said:
Maybe it's T1 with GT2...

I think T1/GT2/STO will be combined in some fashion. The faster T1 cars (LS3 C6s, etc), the Porsche in GT2, and the STO cars...put them on slicks and adjust weights and plates.

In SCCA Trans Am there is a "Global GT" class: Porsche Cup cars, Ferrari 430 Challange, and now Viper ACR-X (which I now own one). Get the LS7/LS3 C6s in there and I think that is a good starting point

jasonberkeley":21ohwy6f said:
Greg Nagy":21ohwy6f said:
"tin tops"?
really?
wow... just wow.

Yeah. I guess you don't follow sports car racing in Europe or Britain, where closed wheel cars with roofs are commonly called "tin-tops."

1. The "a" in SCCA stands for "America", not "Europe" and not "Britain".
2. more than half the production car entries at the runoffs were roadsters. More in each class than there were of T1 cars TOTAL.

Greg Nagy":2qr27b07 said:
jasonberkeley":2qr27b07 said:
Greg Nagy":2qr27b07 said:
"tin tops"?
really?
wow... just wow.

Yeah. I guess you don't follow sports car racing in Europe or Britain, where closed wheel cars with roofs are commonly called "tin-tops."

1. The "a" in SCCA stands for "America", not "Europe" and not "Britain".
2. more than half the production car entries at the runoffs were roadsters. More in each class than there were of T1 cars TOTAL.

And Sports Car racing started in Europe. Don't be bitter because you don't know much about our sport. Just kidding- seriously though, it's just a name I picked for my concept which is for all closed wheel cars, and lends no favoritism to any existing group.

Greg - meet Jason, he races a T1 Corvette.

Jason - meet Greg, he races an HP Sprite or Midget.

Maybe DS for door-slammer?

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure that Greg knows full well what "tintop" means. And I think that it is quite understandable that he'd be wary of any grand plan proposal that - on the surface anyway - would appear to exclude his car. Especially as there are certainly voices in the club with a seemingly strong hostility to older cars.

My problem with any grand plan reorganization is my suspicion that the transition would be so disruptive that half the competitors would have gottem discouraged and/or mad and quit before the dust settles.

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco 1.6

Interesting to put GTL in with T2, EP, STU an ITR. Not sure about speeding GTL up 6 seconds.

Also wouldn't be thrilled with running with STU and T2. Those cars are HEAVY. Most STU cars are around 3200 lbs and the T2 Mustangs and Camaros are around 3750. Thats only 1700 pounds more than my car with most GTL cars aroun 2000 lbs. Most of the T2 cars also have atleast twice the HP of GTL cars (atleast mine).

Not sure why everyone wants to get rid of classes, as long as the class going isn't theirs.

People keep saying something needs to be done to get more people racing and I don't unerstand how less classes will do that.

jasonberkeley":voh6sdrj said:
Just kidding- seriously though, it's just a name I picked for my concept which is for all closed wheel cars, and lends no favoritism to any existing group.

Normally "Tin Top" (plastic top) within the SCCA means race cars with roofs. Being were on the production site, there are many production cars that are closed wheel with the tin tops removed. :wink:

Hey Al-

I'm sure! DS for Door Slammer isn't bad!

Frm my viewpoint, everyone should be able to run whatever they want- I just dont think that we need so many classes to do it.

If we have a fixed number of folks doing National races, and we keep dividing that pool into more and more classes, than you get what we have now- Fewer people in each class at each race.

When I started racing in T1 11 years ago, up until STO started, we had good fields. Now I dont race against anyone any more. There are five or less people at most T1 races, and everyone seems to be running at different paces. It's more like Solo I than racing.

I also think we need the divisions to be limited to how many nationals they can hold, so that attendance at the nationals goes up. Every region cant hold a national every year.

If we found a way to put all of the closed-wheel cars into six or seven classes, where everyone had to make relatively minor changes to their cars, rather than whole classes being killed-off (or not allowed to run in the Invitational Class in "The Majors" (really lame name, btw)), than everyone can still race the car, and maybe actually have some people to race against.

I know as far as you Prod folks go, EP and FP are healthy, but what about GP and HP? Im not saying that my recomended groupings are the answer, just a thought to see what everyone else thinks is the right way to increase field size without killing entire classes.

Jason,

"If we have a fixed number of folks doing National races- - -"

SCCA National offices fails to realize or accept this fact, over and over again.

RJS

jasonberkeley":30peg4bt said:
When I started racing in T1 11 years ago, up until STO started, we had good fields. Now I dont race against anyone any more. There are five or less people at most T1 races, and everyone seems to be running at different paces.

I know as far as you Prod folks go, EP and FP are healthy, but what about GP and HP?

Stop blaming STO for your lack of fields... We all know it was the T1 Ferrari. :twisted:

GP numbers seem to be a bit off the last few years. :wink: Do you see any GP cars in your area? Damn I hope they don't put the GP cars in HP. :ask:

As Chevy Chase used to say "General Francisco Franco is still dead" .
I read the GP comment yesterday and just chalked it up to an expected lack of knowledge of ALL the classes in SCCA. Same as if we polled FP racers about FE issues.

Bryan Floyd

jasonberkeley":r0gsgwnk said:
I know as far as you Prod folks go, EP and FP are healthy, but what about GP and HP? Im not saying that my recomended groupings are the answer, just a thought to see what everyone else thinks is the right way to increase field size without killing entire classes.

GP was eliminated as a class in 2008, but hey...

Don't be bitter because you don't know much about our sport.

:whistle:

So, the only people who noticed GP is gone are the people who raced in GP, and the HP drivers who have to deal with the formerly GP cars? :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

That could explain the lack of hue and cry from the peanut gallery

Scott Sanda":z4y8o69o said:
So, the only people who noticed GP is gone are the people who raced in GP, and the HP drivers who have to deal with the formerly GP cars? :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

That could explain the lack of hue and cry from the peanut gallery

Im well aware that it is gone. But has only been gone for one or two years, and my point was that you could take those cars that still exist and run them under the TT (or DS) concept.

Back