Fuel lines in driver compartment

David Dewhurst":1w1ni8gc said:
...is braided steel line a SAFE fuel line to have in the cockpit.
Yes, it is.

/thread

I don't click YouTube links in posts, sorry. Not a fan of Rick..

I run braided aeroquip fuel line through the cockpit of all of my builds. Less chance to be damaged than underneath a car in my opinion.

I am with Jesse on this one. Always inside the cockpit.

On our Champcar TR6, we ran braided lines inside of some conduit along the passenger floor. I cannot remember whether we had any bulkhead fittings our not. I suspect we just ran the lines through some grommets in the bulkheads.

BTW, I could not find anything in the current Champcar rules about bulkhead fittings.

Greg,
Here's a no-no you will agree with and are probably familiar with.
Don't run plastic fuel lines through a gear shift tunnel like Porsche did with the 914.
I once owned the Daytona24 winning factory built #5 914/6GT which almost burned to the ground and seriously injured the owner/driver as a result of these plastic lines which had aged poorly and became brittle .
The driver survived but was terribly disfigured by his burns.
The car was then purchased and restored by Gary Wiggelsworth and he later sold it to me and I was fortunate to have owned it for several years.
About three years ago this car was sold(not by me) at auction for almost $1,000,000 resulting in the my ultimate sellers remorse .

Tom Burdge
FP #50

I drove / Instructed ,Gary's 914/6 at Watkins Glen. It had a lot of fancy kevlar bodywork and was fairly fast . It was yellow ish. with strips. Pics on my wall someplace . 1998ish .

Jesse Prather":1gy86np5 said:
I run braided aeroquip fuel line through the cockpit of all of my builds. Less chance to be damaged than underneath a car in my opinion.

This is exactly why I run steel lines inside too.

mcfoo":1albsbv5 said:
Greg,
Here's a no-no you will agree with and are probably familiar with.
Don't run plastic fuel lines through a gear shift tunnel like Porsche did with the 914.
Oh gawd, no. Anyone that has a 914 should replace their lines with Foley's...like, this afternoon...shows that even a bulkhead may not be enough...
https://tangerineracing.com/shop/ols/pr ... -injection

And "no comment" on the remorse...I have a few "ones that got away" stories that I drink to, but not that kinda drinking level... - GA

Rick Starkweather":2uqgz5z9 said:

On our Champcar TR6, we ran braided lines inside of some conduit along the passenger floor. I cannot remember whether we had any bulkhead fittings our not. I suspect we just ran the lines through some grommets in the bulkheads.

BTW, I could not find anything in the current Champcar rules about bulkhead fittings.

There's nothing that specific in the Champcar rules, but the tech officials are saying that the fuel line must be continuous in the driver compartment and connecting to a bulkhead fitting does not make it "continuous". The rules only say that the conduit that the steel braided hose goes thru must be continuous. Not fun when 800 miles from home to race and need to rework the fuel system that was previously approved and meets the rules as written.

TR3Racer":4gnuhi50 said:
Rick Starkweather":4gnuhi50 said:

There's nothing that specific in the Champcar rules, but the tech officials are saying that the fuel line must be continuous in the driver compartment and connecting to a bulkhead fitting does not make it "continuous". The rules only say that the conduit that the steel braided hose goes thru must be continuous. Not fun when 800 miles from home to race and need to rework the fuel system that was previously approved and meets the rules as written.
This is why I hate rogue techs. the rulebook says what the rulebook says, and it doesn't say what it doesn't say. Leaving things like that up to the interpretation of a local "tech official" is unacceptable.

Back