Frontline kit for Spridget

mg_john

On my HP Spridget I have been using the stock front shock with the valves removed and a tube shock.

Am considering using a Frontline upper mount as a replacement. I bought one about 5 years ago intending to use it for the street car but never got around to installing it.

Two questions please:

1. Has anyone used a Frontline on a race car? Comments? Problems?

2. On the Frontline kit I have, the arm is very hard to move in the mounting bracket. Is it supposed to be really stiff when new?

Thanks all,

John

Make sure the bolt is not over-torqued causing the end plates to deflect inward and clamp down on the arm pivot.

John,

About eight years ago we sold a number of these to street and race car guys. The upper A arm should move freely. Gary is correct, overtightening the pivot bolt can cause the A arm to bind. Also make sure the pivot bolt is well lubricated.
The main advantage is the elimination of the stock shock unit with an improved upper A arm when using an alternate tube shock.

Rod Hahnemann
SPRIDGETECH, INC.

I looked at the Frontline website, but unfortunately, the picture of their Sprite front suspension was not helpful, especially when a portion of the components are cut off in the picture, in addition to being rotated 90 degrees from its normal orientation.

The upper suspension assembly appears to be a considerable amount of metal to create an upper shock mount. Tube shock mounts of years ago bolted to the top of the stock shock body, with another bolt to the inner fender(?)region, and seemed to work well. The hydraulic valve was removed from the stock shock body.

The Frontline upper arm appears to be the same length as the stock lever arm, and the designers missed an opportunity to shorten their upper arm, which would have improved the camber curve for cornering.

I do not understand the location of mounting holes in the Frontline piece, since they do not seem to line-up with the axis of the upper arm in the same arrangement as the stock shock holes and arm.

If the Frontline arm is difficult to rotate, what bearings or bushings are being used? How is it lubricated?

Installation of tube shocks on a Sprite is a matter of personal choice, but in my estimation, there might be a benefit over the stock arrangement if adjustable shocks are installed, in regard to their stiffness in jounce and rebound.

Charlie T.

Charlie,

Looks like a zerk fitting inboard and nothing outboard(like OE). Yeah..........they really blew it on the camber gain opportunity.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. Have been away visiting grandchildren (five under the age of four!) and I'm pooped!

Charlie: The arm pivots on sintered metal bushings which are lubricated by the zerk fitting shown. There are four mounting holes on the Frontline arm. Instructions tell you to drill another hole in the frame. All the stuff above the arm is upper mounting for the tube shock. The assembly is almost as heavy as the stock unit.

I dis-assembled the arm that was binding. The bind is definitely caused by overtightening the bolt. I'll have to spread the mounting brackets and then re-tighten to get a smooth motion. I'll use a jamb nut to maintain proper clearance.

I'll give it a try and post results in the spring.

Thanks again,
John

John,

Thanks for the information.
I was wondering about a possible fourth hole that might be needed, in the region of the original shock body location.

Charlie T.

I had a friend that raced on that suspension years ago. The upper bushing is prone to wear but over all the suspension worked pretty well for a store bought upgrade.

Keep an eye on the bushing and you should be fine.

Peter

Back