Front brake duct brackets?

team-gpracing

So I made some carbon fiber brake ducts for the old fog light holes on my RX3. And I have the hose to run them to my rotors. But I don't have anything at the hub to attach the hose to. On my last car, we made a tube that attached to the existing dust shield, but the RX7 hubs that I have don't have dust shields. Did they at one time? Does anyone know where I can buy such a thing (dust shield or an actual duct receiver part)?

Fords have bolt holes tapped into the spindle to mount the factory dust shield. there are places that make bolt-on replacements for those.
I have seen other guys make adapters that bolt on near the caliper using their mounting bolts. unfortunately mine is a bit crowded for that with a caliper adapter and fairly small rotors, so there's only about 3sq in of open surface between the caliper and spindle. wouldn't do much good.
My plan is to find a way to mount something just above the ball joint, maybe attaching to the lower caliper bolt and then something else on the spindle.

You need to be a bit of a DIY guy but before commercially available wheel end ducts were available for my sprite (and I couldn't weld aluminum for s*%$ and didn't have a TIG welder) I made my own (go figure!).

Using ordinary 1" styrofoam and Elmer's glue (to make thick blocks as needed) create a form to fit the available space. Cut it with any saw, sand it with any sandpaper (the wierd stuff that looks like a course screen for drywall is the best) to QUICKLY make the mold. Include aluminum brackets to bolt it on wherever you can. Any shape no matter how complex is EZ to make. Include a fake rotor segment of foam as well. Then paint the mold with ordinary latex wall paint...2 heavy coats alllow to dry thoroughly. Hand layup or take to a chopper gun house to create a "skin" of polyester fiberglass. The paint acts as a barrier to avoid dissolving the foam. You could just use epoxy resin without the paint also but I didn't try it. When cured, drop in gasoline to dissolve the foam mold. Trim fiberglass where needed and paint. Don't forget that the OD of the duct hose inlet has to wind up darn close to 3" or 4" diameter....so make the needed allowance.

Not that pretty but man do they work well.

Later I even made some from #303 tin cans with small brackets MIG welded on. The can diameter is perfect for 3" hose! Depends on your packaging situation a lot.

Yeah, I'm a pretty handy guy (as most of us are I'm sure), but I was just wondering if anyone who has a first gen has seen some for sale. At least so I can copy it. :mrgreen:

One of my friends just did the foam-melt trick with his own homemade kayak. Worked well.

If you care to provide your normal e-mail I could send a couple duct pictures for a 1st gen RX7. I long ago sold the car/ducts.

Do you have vented rotors?

Back