FP Miata - 2012 MARRS champ and future national front runner

Think Racing

Here’s one that won’t come around that often, so guys interested in going FP racing in a top level Miata should take a look.

This is my no expense spared build that I raced in the MARRS series this year. The goal was to cut my teeth and chase the regional championship, then prep the car to go to the runoffs in 2013. I accomplished the first goal, but the second one will have to wait.

None of us write our own destiny and mine is requiring that I change directions right now, so I’m offering the car up for sale.

FP Mazda Miata – 2012 MARRS FP champion, numerous wins and owns the Charlotte track record.

Has been referred to within the paddock as a Prather Miata, because Jesse built and consulted with me in every aspect of its development. He even drove it during a test day during the final event of this year's season helping me in its ongoing development.

I bought the roller from David Bryson and over the winter stripped it and installed a Prather suspension (except for front sway bar which is a unique NASCAR design), motor, transmission and rear end.

This past spring Jesse dyno’d it and set it up. I have all notes and settings to go with the car.

This car has a ton of nice little design features and is extremely stout and fast.

Details:
It has a strong 1.6 JPM built motor (It has the best of the best available at the time of its build – 12 regional races)
Electromotive Tec3r
'99 gearbox with Quaiffe SC/CR gear set (four races)
OS Giken limited slip 4.8 differential
Two sets of custom made Spinwerks wheels designed specifically for the racing radial both with good rubber (one set has only two heat cycles). It also comes with a set of Hoosier H2Os (two cycles)
AFCO racing shocks
Tilton pedals
AIM Pista digital dash
Yellow optima
10 gallon ATL, etc.
Huffaker windscreen
Sparco quick release and wheel
Wired for radios

Car will need a seat and belts.

The car is white underneath the wrap with a good paint job, but the nose will need a little assistance following an on track incident that occurred mid-season.

The car is set up to weigh right at 2127 (its legal weight) with me in the car at 190 pounds and empty cell. I would normally finish a race less than 10 pounds from the legal weight.

Comes with a number of spares provided here in no particular order:

Dyno valve cover - this is a stock valve cover with the cam gear cover cut off so you can adjust the cams while tuning
Brand new starter
Brand new set of plug wires (need to be custom cut) - including multiple sets of plugs
One additional set of custom made Spinwerks wheels with the proper backspace for the radial tire - these run $300 per wheel
On the Spinwerks - one set of tires with two heat cycles and another set of tires with more heat cycles but not a lot of wear - both sets in great condition
Hoosier H2O rain tires (two heat cycles). These are not mounted to any wheels
Brand new brake rotors for all corners
New brake calipers all four corners
Two new sets of rear bearings
Two new rear hubs
One new front hub
New front Carbotech XP12 brake pads
Lightly used front Carbotech XP20 brake pads (rain pads)
Fuel pressure regulator
Valve cover gaskets
Exhaust manifold gaskets
New Electromotive coil pack
New Powertrain clutch discs
New 5/8" Tilton master cylinder
Extra 7/10" & 3/4" Tilton master cylinder (in case you want to try different bore sizes)
Spare lug nuts, 8 new spare ARP wheel studs
AN hose of various sizes and length
Tie rod end
Spare lower ball joint (Jesse's design)
I also have a spare set of fiberglass fenders that you can have, but they are at Jesse's shop in Kansas which you would need to coordinate delivery
Various sized front and rear sway bars
In tank fuel pump - needs a new pump - but the kit is $400. The pump will be less (there is a brand new pump in the car)
Extra ballast
I will provide copies of build sheets, specs and set up notes

Here are photos. http://www.flickr.com/photos/thinkracing/
Here are some videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/blackmgb?feature=guide

Car is located in Central Pennsylvania

$20,000

This is a serious car for the serious competitor.

You can PM me here or email at thinkracing (at) yahoo (dot) com

A real shame this car has to move on but someone is going to get a great car for a great price. I personally drove this car in early September at Summit Point Raceway. I had never been on this racetrack although I pratically grew up there as a kid. First session I drove a spec miata. Second session ever on this track I drove this car to right about 1 second off of Kevin Ruck's lap record he set this year. This car is a nationally championship winning car. Have you seen the FP runoffs footage over the last few years? This car can be right there up front as it sits. The car felt beautiful to me. Fred and I talked about changing the front sway bar, which he has multiples of, but there's nothing else about the car I would change. It's got one of those speedway changable bars and the car currently has the .250 wall bar in the car. I personally set this car up and dynoed it for Fred and he dominated the Marrs series all year.

Whoever buys this car will get my technical support as part of the deal as well. All of my guys get extra help with technical advice, tuning help, setup, and anything else you can think of.

Fred, sorry to see you're selling the car. It is a beautiful car and was - obviously - really competitive this season. Don't be a stranger at MARRS events, even if you don't have the car: come hang out with us on grid once in a while!

Beautiful, fast and well prepared car. If it wasn't for the "M" word and my own racing plans being in flux, I would definately be looking at it.

Take Carolyn's advice. Better yet, didn't you and your dad get his old car back?

H Prod, baby, H Prod! :)

Thanks Jesse for your comments and support! He failed to mention that he was close to the lap record in 90+ degree weather with test tires.

If it doesn't sell, I'll run it at some point again. I had too much fun! (a huge part of me hopes it does not sell) I just renewed my license and medical.

However, I've got a number of things staring back at me - some good, some not - and selling it is the best option.

Carolyn, I'll be around. There are plenty of people that need to be harassed.

Greg, almost even thinking about my car is a big compliment. :) We did buy back my dad's old Sprite. He's racing the MG right now. I'd love to eventually see the old car back together, but I can't lie - I really liked that I didn't do a thing all season, but add fuel and change brake pads.

I too have seen this car in action, it hauls ass, best of everything on it. I don't think he got beat by a EP car all year long, and reliable, well let's just say when I crewed for Fred, all I needed was a good lawn chair 8)

Kenny, you are funny! I think we were both good for each other this season. Thanks Hap, with you me and Fred we make a good team.

I'm going to give the group a big head fake and postpone the sale of this car.

If you were considering, please contact me, but for now, I'm going to hold on to it until I have a better feel for what my future looks like. Even if it has to sit in the garage next season I'm afraid I may be acting too hastily at the moment.

There ya go.... I want another shot !! And you're right, I needed someone to slap me around a little.

Ken Nesbit said:
There ya go.... I want another shot !! And you're right, I needed someone to slap me around a little.

I will remember that at MARRS 1 2013, when I am sitting next to you on the Group W bench.

cheers
dave parker

Back