FP / EP / GTL / STL miata hoods

Kendall Jones

I'm going to get Dave @ Preform to make up some miata hoods for me. These are a full core hood with a break all the way around the edges. Race use only, hinge mounts or any of that crap. They are several pounds lighter than the aluminum hoods (and have the head lamp block offs built in). Pics below. I'm checking on price, I think $350 was the going rate.

Pickup in Redford, MI or he can ship them out.

email me at kendall dot jones at gmail dot com

Sorry about the size

8yexW4B.jpg

Ftr5yYm.jpg

Presume know aluminum hood weight is with all the underside bracing. The is a bunch of underside bracing structure. Has anyone weighed the aluminum Miata hood with partial or all bracing removed? :think:

David, last time I cut all that bracing out of a Nissan (steel) hood, it lost about 3lbs (10% weight) and about 90% of its stiffness.
Just info..

I think the big savings is in the headlight covers. those are steel (and heavy).

And no rush on ordering, these are available anytime.

Kendall

I just made a visit to Michigan and got Dave working on a couple hoods for me. If anyone in the PNW is interested, let me know I'm shipping 2 back to Seattle and can get them out there for free.

Kendall

Kendall,

Does Dave @ Preform have molds for the 1999 Miata?

David Dewhurst":czd6gqfc said:
Presume know aluminum hood weight is with all the underside bracing. The is a bunch of underside bracing structure. Has anyone weighed the aluminum Miata hood with partial or all bracing removed? :think:

I have an aluminum hood off a 92 that is completely de-braced that I used on my initial FP build years ago. I will try to weigh it this weekend. As noted, its extremely flimsy.

David Dewhurst":2vk3hnn2 said:

I finally got around to weighing the hood. It has every bit of the bracing cut out with the factory headlamp covers permanently bonded to the hood. It weighs 14 lbs. it took 6 hood pins to hold it down.

Jesse Prather":zh92zwic said:
And EXTREMELY good quality. Best fiberglass I've ever seen for one of these cars.

Thanks, Jesse - glad it worked out.

Also, price is $425 for the hood plus $15 box charge. Ballpark shipping from Redford to JPM was around $160 (FYI)

Sorry for the price bump but the cost of material has gone up, however the price is worth it - super stiff, super light.

Kendall

If anyone in PNW needs a hood (or other Spridgetech / Preform parts) - please let me know asap. I'm having a large machine shipped to Seattle and can include parts at no charge (free shipping!)

thanks!

Back