Finding local Tech Inspection facility (Northeast PA)

jimmypet

Last year (my first year racing) I got my annual done at my first post school race.
I just went to tech and asked for a tech inspection (day prior to the race, late afternoon arrival).

When I did SCC Solo 1 (hillclimbs, TTs) thats how it was done, as well as all the other clubs I ever Time Trialed with.
I got the impression from the inspectors that was NOT the preferred way to do it.
They made kind of a big deal about it, made me sit in the corner for a while, feel like a noob and wait (when they had no cars in line)...

I want to avoid that scenario this year (and forever).
Is there a better way?

Whats the best way to get your annual tech done so that you look like you totally have your sh*t in a pile.
I live in Northeast PA (scranton area).
Trying not to have to tow the car hours for a tech inspection if possible.
Is there an SCCA tech inspector resource for geographical area?

Thanks in advance for sage advice.
jimmy

There is no list of tech inspectors that I know of, but I would suggest you sent an email to the NEDiv Tech Divisional Administrator, Paul Morrison, at [email protected] and ask him if he can suggest someone in your area.

Dave

Jimmy - Tech is busy on race weekends with race stuff - sometimes they get upset when they have to stop and do an annual tech, which takes time away from event responsibilities.

Go here http://www.scca.com/about/?cid=44660&r=ne

Find your region, contact the RE, and ask who he goes to for annual tech near you. I'd be surprised if it were a long tow to someone who can help.

In the Colorado region, there are several vendors here who are a happy to help out between events. Some ask for $20, others get a six pack. Be kind, rewind.

Some regions know they have this flood of work coming, and accommodate drivers at events at the first of the year- generally on a Friday night before the event. Same deal here- it's traditional to say thanks somehow.

It's possible to get the annual tech done away from the track, but I think most of us get it done during a race wekend.

During the actual racing, might not be a ideal time, as cars come off the track the tech people are busy.

But the evening prior to the start of a event, there are many cars getting tech inspected. I normally get mine done the fri night of the first event. I have missed qualifying saterday morning, getting it done but try not to let that happen.

There is some risk of having the car fail, making the first event a wasted trip, but my first event is normally clsoe to home. Also have never had the car actually fail a inspection.

If there is a race school near you, you could try that as well, there should be some tech people there and you would not be in a hurry, since you would not be entered in the event.

Now that I am (retired) I have been roped into the role of the Oregon region tech chief. How did that happen?? Anyhow I am planning on having a tech session the month before our first race. February 26th.
G

Thanks Guys,
I will shoot an email to our RE and assist RE.
See if they know anyone in our region who can do it in advance of going to my first race.

If not, at minimum I will reach out to the tech head at whatever my first race would be in advance, and see what arrangement I can make with him so its not a surprise.

I just dont want to be "that guy".
Thanks
jimmy

Jimmy,
In our supps, we write "if you need an annual, please contact the tech chief to arrange an appointment". It's ALWAYS easier for everyone involved to get your annual ahead of time. Slip your tech chief $20 and a coldski and it's less headaches all around. It could be as simple as doing it Friday afternoon at the track before things get going. Your divisional administrator of tech will know who has licenses that eligible to do the inspection (not all are). Good luck.

Dayle

Dayle wrote:

"Slip your tech chief $20 and a coldski - - -"

WHAT! When did THAT become necessary?

If he drove to my house to do the inspection, sure. If I took the car to his house and occupied an hour of his time some evening, maybe. But at the track? Seriously?

I foresee a bidding war; who will tech your car the cheapest.

This ain't your DOT inspection lanes (yet).

RJS

jimmypet said:
Last year (my first year racing) I got my annual done at my first post school race.
I just went to tech and asked for a tech inspection (day prior to the race, late afternoon arrival).

They made kind of a big deal about it, made me sit in the corner for a while, feel like a noob and wait (when they had no cars in line)...

I want to avoid that scenario this year (and forever).

And there lies one of the problems with this club. Having your car inspected at an event is part of the duties of the tech people period weather it is the first race of the year for you or the last event of the year. I always went thru my annual at my first event never had a problem. I would have notified the appropriate people what you expierenced. Your the customer, your the one laying down the bucks.

Jimmy, DC Region tech are good folks. I'm assming your first race will be with this region.

I doubt they will hassle you. It never hurts to call ahead, but getting your car tech'd at the race is not a foreign concept. A lot of those guys will come to your house for a contribution to the tow fund and a beer, but Scranton is a good bit away.

You can contact the DC region office to for tech contacts as well.

Thanks Guys.
Many great insights and responses.
I will make all efforts to get my tech done before first race this winter once I get my car back together.
As directed I've sent out a few emails inquiring about the tech possibilities in the area.

Now that I have kinda settled in with WDCR as my "home" if I cant get it done locally prior,,, I'll reach out to those guys before arrival and make arrangements for a tech the day or evening before.
I did my pre-license worker requirements in WDCR tech and they are great people.
I completely understand the tech people are busy on race day and understand an annual "unannounced" would present a PITA.
With prior knowledge its maybe not so bad.

All part of learning the process. As I said, I never want to be "that guy" (or at least I try not to be haha).
I also dont want to give the impression that the tech people on my first race (not WDCR) were rude or unprofessional,,, it was just a vibe if that makes sense.
They did it and I was on my way (and I learned something in the process).
Cheers
jimmy

R. J. Sorensen":2h2gs26z said:
Dayle wrote:

"Slip your tech chief $20 and a coldski - - -"

WHAT! When did THAT become necessary?

If he drove to my house to do the inspection, sure. If I took the car to his house and occupied an hour of his time some evening, maybe. But at the track? Seriously?

I foresee a bidding war; who will tech your car the cheapest.

This ain't your DOT inspection lanes (yet).

RJS

Sorry for the confusion....yes, I meant that IF he/she comes to your place and does the inspection there, then cover expenses, etc.

Dayle

I've had my annual tech done at the track at Summit Point pretty much every year, typically on Friday night. I have detected no bad vibes in response..... IIRC I'm on a midyear expiration cycle so maybe that helps.

I did have a minor panic one year when I had failed to note the belt expiration, but fortunately OG racing had a set at the track store bright and early Saturday AM.

Al Seim
HP Scirocco 1.6

In years' past, DC region has had advanced tech days announced, where you could tow out to one of 3 or 4 places around DC / MD / VA on a particular Saturday in Jan / Feb and get your annual done in advance. Unfortunately they're not doing that this year, so they have just made the tech line at the first couple MARRS races somewhat longer. And considering the "first couple Marrs races" mostly aren't at Summit, what's actually going to happen is that if you make your first Marrs race an out-of-region, then you will be at the relative mercy of that region's tech. If they are used to small turnout and a bunch of Marrs competetiors show up for their annuals, they could be easily ovewhelmed. So do plan ahead.

Doing it in advance did buy you some extra time to fix problems that might be found, but even last minute things that may turn up often can be handled by a notation placed in the log-book that the problem must be remedied prior to the next event (for fairly minor things, of course).

Back