Experience with Harry's Laptimer DAQ app for iphone??

Jay Lutz

I'm considering the purchase of Harry's GPS Laptimer V17 Petrol Head for iphone as a sort of poor man's DAQ for Chumpin. The middle Petrol Head version that combines video and data at $20 looks like the way to go.

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/LapTimer_Products.html

Has anybody actually used this app? The only review that I've seen has NOTHING good to say about it!! If it's useless can anyone recommend a similar app that actually works? I thought this was the best available.....but I'm not so sure.

Thanks, Jay

i use HLT. works well and captures good info. you can get even more with a obd2 port.

links to my gopro and starts the video for me and works well.

Aaron Johnson":27b4n7t8 said:
i use HLT. works well and captures good info. you can get even more with a obd2 port.

links to my gopro and starts the video for me and works well.

And just where is the obd2 port on a Spitfire, Aaron? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I used Lap Timer for a while but it hasn't been updated in years. Track Addict works much better and gets updated regularly. I used it all last year.

If the normal scan frequency of an iphone is 1 hz..........how can that possibly work for motorsports??? If you are going 60 mph you just moved 88' in a second which is a lot of time with no data. In my AIM system I used 20hz for speed sampling.

I know there are 5 hz wifi antennas available.........trying to keep this simple though

Harrys will work with the 5hz antennas. I'm not sure if there are faster ones out there yet or not that work, but I have heard of some local DE type friends using the 5hz antennas with Harry's. I would still consider it the 'cheap and easy' vs. a "real" data acquisition system.. it's inexpensive and simple to use, but doesn't quite provide all of the data that a serious racer would want..

Oh I understand that Matt.......I have lots of DAQ experience......I've owned various systms for at least 20 years....mostly AIM since their software is continually being upgraded and Roger Caddell is a friend of mine.

This primitive Pete tool might be suitable for Chumpin though!!??!!

JoeCam........I just sent you a VM.

I would really like to talk to anyone who has TrackAddict experience.

Ron, do you use Track Addict? Can I call?

Joe C is the right person to talk to about Track Addict. He is the guy that told me about it. No I don't use it.

Yeah, definitely a decent tool for an enduro where you might want just basic track position and lap/time overlay onto your video.. not sure how much good the data would be after the race. (by the end of the day, I can never even remember what the driver order was, let alone what lap I goofed up and spun!)

I've used Harry's LapTimer for a couple of years now and it is fantastic. Very accurate, times were dead on with the SCCA timing and scoring sheets. I actually use to use it mounted with a wide angle lens/roll cage mount and use the camera on it with HLT but now I mount it on the dash so I can monitor laps while I'm driving.

Back