EP Runoffs Race

JessePrather

Just wanted to start a thread for the EP race.

I personally had a great week. Not having 3 qual sessions hurt a bit on setup but all in all the new MX5 is coming along. Still need better hp/weight but it's much better. I was amazed at Matt's speed in the race, even though I built the engine. Ha, shameless plug.
Anyway, I need to get some in car up because it was really close for the first few laps. A great clean race. Sure a bit of bumping here and there but very clean for that close of racing. Had a great race with Rick Kavitski and Chris Dryden for a while. Almost took out Rick in 1 after he passed me but he did catch it so all was ok. Very happy to be closer to the front again after these years of development on the new car.

Congrats to Greg on his first championship. Certainly not the way you want to win but on paper it's still a win.
Certainly Matt was the class of the field and if he hadn't of spun on lap 2 we'd of all been racing for second. What a drive back through the field even though it didn't turn out.

It was great to see everyone!

From watching the video on Speedcast, it barely looked like a touch while Ira was either attempting to block, or blowing the corner and Reynolds was trying to do an over-under like he'd done just about every lap in that corner. just happened Ira 'blew' the entry and had to scrub even more speed, the mis-judged his cut and touched Ira in the process...

Or was it just a poor video and Ira got punted? I never saw the back of Ira's car to see the damage, but it sure didn't do much to Reynolds fiberglass bumper..
Certainly not looking to stir up trouble, but I've seen a LOT rougher driving that that in several other classes and nobody freakin cared.. ???

But yes. had Reynolds been a foot back on that corner entry or even given the spot back, he still had time to get around him again at 2.5sec/lap faster than anyone else in the field.. That man was MOVING!

Matt93SE":2imlzkyd said:
But yes. had Reynolds been a foot back on that corner entry or even given the spot back, he still had time to get around him again at 2.5sec/lap faster than anyone else in the field.. That man was MOVING!

No dog in any of this, but Jim Drago posted details of the protests on Mazda Racers: http://mazdaracers.com/topic/3848-matt- ... -the-week/

Also, at that point, Matt was 3-4 seconds a lap faster than Greg and anyone else on the track. Watching live T&S he was turning 2:28s, low 2:29s back to back to back, while the other front runners were turning 2:32s and slower late in the race.

Lets try this.

Had a great week at the Run Offs. Wish I had gotten more time before the race to drive the new car. It was a bit frustrating to try and learn how to drive a new race car a the Run Offs. anyway that was my silly fault for thinking I could bring a new car to the Run Offs. I learned lots and have a good list of things to do this winter now.

Anyway, here is a video clip of the start of the EP race from way in the back. No commenting on my driving as it was only the second real time I had been in the car on a dry track. Go Pro camera was mounted low in the grill opening.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201920475042528

This content is currently unavailable. :(

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

I watched the E Prod race live on Speedcast TV and rewatched again it yesterday. I agree Matt was extremely fast. He did make at least 3 mistakes however. He spun, bumped the RX3 and the 260Z to get back to the front. Even after bumping Ira on the last lap he only beat Greg back to the line by less than a second. He didn't drive away and win by several seconds. Greg ran his fastest laps on the 12th & 13th laps. So there is little doubt the bump allowed him to win. He hit cars hard enough to put a hole in the front end of the Miata as was shown after the race during his interview. It would have been nice to see them race to the flag with no bumping. I guess we'll never know. Congrats Greg for wheeling the old Z car to the win. You have worked hard and deserve it.

Lap times for EP.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... 0times.pdf

I watched the EP race at T5 and had a couple of thoughts

1) Looked like a heck of a lot of fun
2) Cool mix of cars each with their own strengths- BMW, 240z, Miatas, RX3
3) Good close, clean racing (I have not seen "the incident" so I have no opinion there)
4) Loved the s2000 & happy to see Jesse's work on the new Miata start to pay off

John Morton's presence at the event was very cool and something I'll remember. I sat on Monday's false grid looking at the car thinking how awesome it was to be going on track with Morton in a BRE painted 240.

Congrats to everyone on a really exciting race.

Chris

I had several goals for the Runoffs....Finish Strong, be the fastest 2nd gen RX-7, be in the top 10, and maybe with some attrition, a top 5 finish.

The hopes of a top 10 went out the window on lap 2 when I hit some oil in turn 3. I dropped from 13th to 28th. While I was making my way back through the field, my car died between T 5 and 6. I reset the ECU and it fired back up. Then I blew out the front muffler and lost some power and made a bunch of noise.

I managed to get back to 13th place, and the sound control folks were kind enough to let me get to lap 12 before issuing a noise warning. When I came in, they pulled me over to tell me I was up to 105 db on laps 12 and 13....Oh well.

It was my best season ever with 6 podiums out of 7 races (not counting the Runoffs). I won the CenDiv points championship and kept the car together all season.

I put together some video but it is over 15 minutes so You Tube rejected it. You can check it out on my facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 8680715049

Smyczek":2suj7qvm said:
Then I blew out the front muffler and lost some power and made a bunch of noise.

I managed to get back to 13th place, and the sound control folks were kind enough to let me get to lap 12 before issuing a noise warning. When I came in, they pulled me over to tell me I was up to 105 db on laps 12 and 13....Oh well.

That was sweet of them. Don't worry. They let Andrew off too claiming they only got two readings. Maybe they only target cars close to other cars or out of division cars or cars they didn't warn. :-[... :ask: :-[... Sound folks must be really proud of their ethical behavior.

Sam, sorry you got dinged for sound, your car did not seem overly loud to me.
E prod race was fun to watch, I watched a few laps from most corners. My favorite spot to watch is from the outside of t-6 just after the bridge.

Thanks bill. I'm so disappointed with the way Jason Briggs sound team handled my case. I have no issue with what they did for Andrew or the EP rx7. I worked sound at solo nationals.

I watched EP video. Matt's speed was just impressive. Too bad Daniels broke.

Wow, that was an impressive drive by Jim. Great sportsmanship too. That's what Club Racing is all about. Pratt will kick ass in that car a Laguna. I think I'll save some money and watch from the corkscrew with a cocktail. :applause:

Ken Shreve":2mayrqc6 said:
Wow, that was an impressive drive by Jim. Great sportsmanship too. That's what Club Racing is all about. Pratt will kick ass in that car a Laguna. I think I'll save some money and watch from the corkscrew with a cocktail. :applause:

That looked like a handful - especially all the 1 armed driving & dealing with crap in the cockpit...

Back