Dog gears

Kerry Foote

So my 1275LP is just about ready to be installed, but I'm not sure about the ratios that are currently in my dog box. I know that the power band will be wider than my 948 so maybe I should re-gear for a bigger drop between shifts. I guess I'm asking if anybody has any suggestions for gear ratios.

Thank you
Kerry

So my 1275LP is just about ready to be installed, but I'm not sure about the ratios that are currently in my dog box. I know that the power band will be wider than my 948 so maybe I should re-gear for a bigger drop between shifts. I guess I'm asking if anybody has any suggestions for gear ratios.

Thank you
Kerry
I probably shouldn't give you this information since we will be running against each other pretty soon but here is what we run behind the 1275 engines. Our Taylor transmission has 1.8, 2.1, 2.3, and 1.1 gears in front of a 3.9 rear gear. Tried a 3.7 but it slowed turn exit speeds. Use the same ratios on the 948s but with a 4.22 rear gear that works well with the 9,500 rpm engine. Scotty Young, [email protected] should be able to help with gears.

Bob

Last edited:
I probably shouldn't give you this information since we will be running against each other pretty soon but here is what we run behind the 1275 engines. Our Taylor transmission has 1.8, 2.1, 2.3, and 1.1 gears in front of a 3.9 rear gear. Tried a 3.7 but it slowed turn exit speeds. Use the same ratios on the 948s but with a 4.22 rear gear that works well with the 9,500 rpm engine. Scotty Young, [email protected] should be able to help with gears.

Bob
Thanks Bob. Those numbers tell me I'm in the ballpark with the gears I have on hand. Probably be on track in July. Fingers crossed. Take care.

Thank you
Kerry
Kerry, pls call me and I might be able to help. Bill Blust @ 937-496-5504

Back