DCOE question

disquek

I noticed some friction in the throttle return.

I determined it was in the carbs. You'd release the lever gently and it would hang at about 25% open. It would easily close if you pushed it, but would hang open if you didn't.

I then figured out that the cause was that the accelerator pump lever was sticking on the tip of the accelerator pump shaft from friction. A dab of grease at this point solved the issue. I think this issue's root is the lever is side loading the shaft as the tip goes through its range of motion. The grease minimizes this side load.

I've never heard of having to lubricate this point. None of the pieces are corroded or rough.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever heard of having to lubricate that point?

-Kyle

Hi Joe,

I agree, but if you hold the accel pump up, the throttles move beautifully. And when I put that dab of grease on the end of the accel pump lever, the problem disappeared.

Best I can figure, the accel pump shaft got a little corroded and the side loading caused it to stick a bit. I'm going to polish everything and toss it back together.

I think the root of the issue was my washing the engine (garden hose - low pressure) - I think I must have gotten some water into that little cavity where the lever is. Next time I will cover the carbs when I wash the motor. It was just so crusty after the Mid Ohio rain race, it HAD to wash it! :shock:

-Kyle

Back