Daytona Runoffs - No sound control!

Joel McGinley

You can check but it looks like a 9/2/2015 revision to the Runoffs Sup Regs includes this change: "Due to the unique location of Daytona International Speedway as well as the course configuration,sound control per GCR 5.7.3 will not be in effect for this event." I suspect this is because of the bowl-like track with the banking and the lack of any area to get a good sound reading without echoes...etc.
I have not researched GCR 5.7.3 but I suppose there are many opportunities to... "adjust" or remove "things" if their effect is not measured... !!! Could be some gains there...
Check this out yourself before you make any changes..... Joel

Yep, there was an earlier thread about this. With the airport very close, they couldn't get a decent "ambient" reading, so trying to enforce 103 db would be nearly impossible. Everybody wear your ear plugs, especially with the RX7's.

Was there a few weeks ago when Donna flew in from CA to see how it would work. Wasn't too bad (meaning also not that good) with the cars but when the planes landed and reversed their engines it about blew up the meter! It was at that time we didn't see her at the meter but riding by us on the track's tour tram...

Bob

Back