crank nitriding

Kerry Foote

I'm planning the build of my 1275 lp engine and started to think about crankshaft prep. I am starting with a std./std. crank and will be having it turned to .010/.010 to set the proper clearances. Is nitriding necessary and if so who can do it. Thanks

With an EN40B crank you would have no concerns as the case depth of that crank's hardening process is quite deep. The EN16T (T for Tufftride) has a shallower case depth but still is in the .008 to .015 range, depending on material and hardening time. Since you will only be taking .005" off the surface for a .010" regrind you should be OK and still retain the hardness close to the original.

Having said that, from what I have seen over the years, the Brits were not very disciplined in terms of quality control and basically assembled the cars with whatever came down the line. I have never seen this but I am told there were times when they didn't heat treat the cranks at all. To guard against that you could take a hardness reading in a non-critical place like in line with an oil hole in the middle of a journal before and after the grind and you will know for sure.

Good luck with your LP1275 project. As I have told you many times it is the way to go. I am loving the ease in starting, the longer time between valve adjustments, and the long time between rebuilds due to the life of the rings, bearings, and valve train.

I've used Advanced Heat Treat in Monroe Michigan many times with great results. They call it Ion Glow Nitriding.

Thnks Chris and Ron. The crank I have is z EN16T but I hzve several more in storage I look through for a EN40B. BTW can either of you give me contact info for
George Bachman?

Back