Cleaning

disquek

After the MO rain race the race car is very very dirty EVERYWHERE.

I'm not a believer in using a pressure washer on a race car.

I'm more of the garden hose and soft brush type. Typically I just use car wash soap and water.

I'm wondering if anyone has used anything that works better than car wash soap.

Maybe something that leaves an anti corrosive agent on the car?

I think that the dirt racing guys have some cool chemicals and processes for this sort of thing, but I cant seem to find them.

Thank you!
-Kyle

You should've been paddocked @ the Turn 5 dust bowl @ the run-offs last year @ Laguna. I'm still cleaning out dust particles from the car

Pressure washer from a fair distance does the job just fine, IMO.. Stick a bag over your air filter and distributor, and make it a point not to spray down the interior or electronics and it's all good.

Too bad no one oiled up the track before the rain this year, the car could have washed itself. Who remembers the 2012 race when they dumped Tide detergent all through madness after repeated oilings, and then it rained like hell later in the day? It took me a year to get the soap scum off the bottom of the car. lol

I have a hose spigot on my hot water heater and use hot water on occasion when it's really bad. Makes all the difference.

I've used Turtle Wax Tar and Bug remover to clean up my car. Just spray on and wipe off. Removes all the rubber streaks with light rubbing too.

On a somewhat related note, here's something a fellow racer showed me last weekend at TWS...

Racing Rubber Remover: http://www.mothers.com/02_products/0922 ... &slider1=9
Holy Crap! I've been using WD-40 and wax/tar remover for the last 10 years and scrubbing me arse off to get rid of black marks. Spray this stuff on, wait about 5 seconds, then wipe it off. almost no scrubbing necessary to remove rubber.

They sell it at Summit for about $10 a bottle. try it, you'll like it. :)

That may not do a ton to get rid of all the thin film of track slime all over the engine bay, wheel wells, and undercarriage, but that's where a trip to the local car wash comes in handy. go late at night or early morning when there's no line, then pull the car out and put it on jack stands in the wash bay. put on a rain slicker and go to town.

Never used a pressure washer, but body work got a hose down. Underside? Oil will take care of that. I suppose now that I have access to a pressure washer I'll use it.
Otherwise? 409 takes off bugs, tar, rubber, etc. almost no scrubbing.

I use a pressure washer but it's an electric one with really not much pressure. We have a gas one too but it would rip the paint off if I used it. The electric one does really well.

I also use a low pressure electric pressure washer on the car when it gets dirty like it was after the VIR majors. The track workers put a bunch of oil dry on the track right when it was starting to rain, while prod cars we in grid. It was the dirtiest bunch of cars in impound that I had seen since we ran Prorally.

I use a pressure washer, from a distance on the chassis. I use air on all the monoballs. once everything is dry I use triflow on all the mono balls and metal surfaces then hand wipe it off.

Curtis":3pngzr97 said:
I have a hose spigot on my hot water heater and use hot water on occasion when it's really bad. Makes all the difference.

I raced motocross for 20 years before I started car racing and I second the hot water. We also would spray the bikes down with Simple Green using a lawn sprayer, then wash and rinse with hot water. Works like a charm.

Back