Chuckwalla Majors

JasonIsley99

We are about a week and a half out with 75 cars total - those in the western conference really don't appear to want to go east, not even a little bit. Happy to see H Prod doing well out west this year, even with the Runoffs about as far away from us as you can get the class has a good showing. While other parts of the country are still playing in the snow, we may see temps in the low 90s.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ ... P9O1Wbbqt8

50 Gist, Gary E Production 1989 Mazda RX7 K&G Racing Del mar, CA
38 Longwell, John E Production 1997 BMW 328iS Achilles Motorsports/Hoosier Fallbrook, CA
28 Jimerson, Anthony E Production 1986 Mazda rx7 A.T. Mechanical, Jesse Prather Motorsports, Hoosier benicia, CA
21 Sturgeon, Delaney E Production Porsche 944 Raptor Motorsports, Hawk, Goodyear Willcox, AZ

77 Huffaker, Joe F Production 1973 MG Midget Huffaker Engineering Petaluma, CA

13 Bachman, Mike H Production 1960 Sprite MK I Keeshond Racing, Huffaker Engineering, AMAC Fabrication, Hoosier Tires San Jose, CA
18 Beyer, Bobby H Production 2008 Toyota Yaris MillenWorks, TRD, BFGoodrich, Granstand.com Mission Viejo, CA
32 Cummings, Mike H Production 1964 Austin Healey Sprite Huffaker Engineering / Red line Oil / Hoosier Tires Martinez, CA
99 Isley, Jason H Production 2007 Toyota Yaris TRD/Hoosier/RACER.com Coto de Caza, CA
37 Linn, Brian H Production 1990 Honda CRX Hoosier Tire, Carbotech, Mr Meeker Hermosa Beach, CA
19 Thurston, David H Production 1975 Fiat X1/9 Tustin, CA

Common on Jason, Homestead Miami Speedway is 300 miles further than Daytona!

And you have to pay about $25 in tolls.

FP Racer":11erpla1 said:
Common on Jason, Homestead Miami Speedway is 300 miles further than Daytona!

And you have to pay about $25 in tolls.

I will worry about that if/when HMS ever gets the Runoffs. :lol:

Jason@SportsCar":yi3eyzwb said:
We are about a week and a half out with 73 cars total - those in the western conference really don't appear to want to go east, not even a little bit.

I don't think going East has anything to do with it. A lot of us would race at Phoenix each year which is ~190 miles further East.

michael heintzman":7qe6ey0l said:
Jason@SportsCar":7qe6ey0l said:
We are about a week and a half out with 73 cars total - those in the western conference really don't appear to want to go east, not even a little bit.

I don't think going East has anything to do with it. A lot of us would race at Phoenix each year which is ~190 miles further East.

It was a joke. :wink: I would much rather visit Firebird than Chuckwalla or Inde, and based on entry numbers I think others feel the same.

I have no problem with Chuckwalla. But some are having a problem with the lack of a tow fund. It may not be much but I will take any help I can get. If National want us to travel they have to help.

I had pretty much made up my mind to hate before I even got there, but was pleasantly surprised...

My only previous experience with Chuckwalla was a Regional last May that my wife ran, it was insanely hot (triple digits) and we had a 90min drive to civilization.

In my first sessions on the track I was disappointed, very little in the way of visual cues, and nothing but way to long 180 degree turns. However, the track raced much better than it drove in practice and qual. The lack of fast areas really kept the cars (E/F/H) bunched up, and you had to work hard for passes. The surface had really good grip, was smooth, but was brutal on tires - reportedly a number of people did not run on Sunday due to using up all the tires they brought between the previous session, and there was no tire service on site.

From what I hear the E guys had some good racing, Jimerson had a 12sec lead on Saturday and missed a shift or dipped a tire off and lost it all with one to go, he and Longwell were nose to tail on the last lap with Longwell taking it. On Sunday Jimerson redeemed himself, checked out and resetting the track record.

Huffaker was well out in front of FP. He mixed it up a bit with the E guys at the start, then seemed to just settle in for an easy race. Something happen to him on Sunday, I spotted him parked off in the dirt, Cantrell got the win, but Huffaker got the track record.

Linn burned up a motor in the first practice, so started from the back with the spare motor. Unfortunately the spare started to cook on the first lap of the race and he had to park it, he sat Sunday out. I won both days, with Cummings in second and Beyer in third.

While I would much prefer a number of other tracks in our area, Chuckwalla was actually really fun to race. If they were going to consider this next year they should look at a February date for a little more mild weather, that would also keep it from conflicting with the nearly month long tennis tournament that drove hotel prices up, and they must have tire service at the track.

Jason@SportsCar":1sxrpklc said:
Had a great time mixing it up with Gary Gist and Craig Carter.
Too bad you didn't have some HP cars to keep up with you! This is so much more fun when I have positive things to post.

First session, trying to learn the track, mostly flat without many landmarks to know where you are. Some smoke was coming from the engine bay (oil leaking out the dipstick tube under braking) into the cockpit. Seemed like the second lap, then I notice the water temp is sky high. No water left in the system after the session. Too late on my part, cooked it and had to change it.

Missed qualifying, but with only 13 cars in the group that's not the end of the world. Do a hardship lap and I get a better feel for the track but the temp climbs to 185° pretty quickly.

Started the race, passed a few cars on the opening lap, get to Bachman and I really have nothing for him. Watching the temps, but also still have hopes of moving up and then again the water temp has climbed too high. Damn it.

Still trying to figure out if Daytona is in our future or its time to start prepping for Mid-o next year with Steve back behind the wheel.

Didn't see it or the cars afterwards but Huffaker and John Longwell had a "coming together" near the end of Sunday's race. Joe ended up deep in the sand, thought he might roll. He wasn't pleased.

Brian

BLinn":1ysxgkg8 said:
Too bad you didn't have some HP cars to keep up with you! This is so much more fun when I have positive things to post.

First session, trying to learn the track, mostly flat without many landmarks to know where you are. Some smoke was coming from the engine bay (oil leaking out the dipstick tube under braking) into the cockpit. Seemed like the second lap, then I notice the water temp is sky high. No water left in the system after the session. Too late on my part, cooked it and had to change it.

Missed qualifying, but with only 13 cars in the group that's not the end of the world. Do a hardship lap and I get a better feel for the track but the temp climbs to 185° pretty quickly.

Started the race, passed a few cars on the opening lap, get to Bachman and I really have nothing for him. Watching the temps, but also still have hopes of moving up and then again the water temp has climbed too high. Damn it.

Still trying to figure out if Daytona is in our future or its time to start prepping for Mid-o next year with Steve back behind the wheel.

Didn't see it or the cars afterwards but Huffaker and John Longwell had a "coming together" near the end of Sunday's race. Joe ended up deep in the sand, thought he might roll. He wasn't pleased.

Brian

Perhaps its a hex from your neglected Miata?

That explains why I saw Joe off in the weeds. He was standing outside the car and looked to be ok - was the first time I have ever seen a speck of dirt on a Huffaker car.

Back