Changing topics.....

Dayle Frame

This is going to seem completely antithetical since we all race cars that a million years old but here goes.

I'm seriously thinking about buying an electric car for my wife since she doesn't do much driving except to and from work and a few errands a week. She's the perfect candidate for one since she does roughly 30 miles a day.

Has anyone bought one lately? Are there still tax breaks for purchasing one? What features about them (battery life, driving range, etc.) are most important? Any input would be much appreciated as this is DEEPLY uncharted territory.

Dayle

Curious when non gasoline/diesel vehicles not paying their fair share for gasoline/diesel tax (road costs) will be included. I understand they pay tax smidgens for tires and so forth.

Another motorsports forum that I read has a few members who have Volts and seem to really like them. Everyone's needs are different but I'd sure go for a plug in hybrid (ie electric 'til that runs out, then IC) over a pure electric - if you ever need to exceed the electric range you just do it.

Dayle Frame":3kp2s0yh said:
This is going to seem completely antithetical since we all race cars that a million years old but here goes.

I'm seriously thinking about buying an electric car for my wife since she doesn't do much driving except to and from work and a few errands a week. She's the perfect candidate for one since she does roughly 30 miles a day.

Has anyone bought one lately? Are there still tax breaks for purchasing one? What features about them (battery life, driving range, etc.) are most important? Any input would be much appreciated as this is DEEPLY uncharted territory.

Dayle

We did the Fiat 500e lease for my wife. Pricing and structure has changed since we did ours - now the dealer/FCA keeps the incentives - we paid $999 down, $230 a month (up from $199 because we opted for 15k miles a year). This got her carpool access, $2500 state rebate (cash) and a $7500 fed income tax credit. Great deal. The cost to charge was higher than anticipated because our utilities are demand based, we were able to get our plan changed after the first year to a time based program, and the car changes off-peak now which lowered our monthly bill.

I hear Teslas are damn good fun to drive, and they're pretty to boot.
Put her in a Tesla, so you'll still feel like a man when you need to borrow her car. ;)

Back