Cage help.

Protech Racing

Where does the GCR state anything about prod cage rules and extra tubes from the front of the cage to the core support etc? How many, what, where etc/
All reference that I see only show the 8 pt tubes. I also cant find anything in the Prod section about additional tubes allowed.
TIA I am sure that I missed it.
MM

This just says the minimum you must have in regards to "firewall tubes", and where they're allowed to attach:
9.4.C.2 - One tube must extend, from each front down tube, forward to the firewall or through the firewall except in vehicles in Improved Touring, Spec Miata, and Touring. This tube, one on each side, must connect to the chassis at a point not more than 12 inches forward of the front axle centerline.

And then these allow you to do even more then that if you want to, basically allowing "infinite chassis attachment points" in Prod:
9.4.E.1 - Improved Touring, Spec Miata, B-Spec AND Touring (excluding T1) classes – The roll cage must attach to the vehicle structure within the passenger compartment in a minimum of 6 points and a maximum of 8 points as specified in these rules. Roll cage may not pass through any structural member, except Miata rear main hoop braces may pass through the package tray.
9.4.E.2 - All other classes – There is no limit on cage attachment points. The roll cage shall be integrated into the frame or chassis.

I always wondered why they limited the amount of bars in IT, heck some IT cars are running faster lap times than many of the production cars. Wouldn't it make the IT cars safer? :think:

manny":2mqx7h1r said:
I always wondered why they limited the amount of bars in IT, heck some IT cars are running faster lap times than many of the production cars. Wouldn't it make the IT cars safer? :think:

The theory is to minimize that yucky side effect of chassis stiffening that could possibly help with performance. We can't have IT cars with stiffer chassis than factory. Also some mumbo jumbo about preserving the factory crumple zones for when they run into a Prod car on track.

When it comes to IT, the relaxed safety gear is all about reducing the cost of building a car, thus reducing the "barriers to entry" of bringing in new people. Hence why you can get away with simpler cages, zero fuel cell rules, no fire system needed, etc. But yes, it's a little hypocritical, given that I know my ITA Integra could finish in the top half of most Prod fields, who are all required to have those extra safety items.

kruck":8ucbajxn said:
When it comes to IT, the relaxed safety gear is all about reducing the cost of building a car, thus reducing the "barriers to entry" of bringing in new people. Hence why you can get away with simpler cages, zero fuel cell rules, no fire system needed, etc. But yes, it's a little hypocritical, given that I know my ITA Integra could finish in the top half of most Prod fields, who are all required to have those extra safety items.

Lower entry barriers sure.. but there's also a maximum-spec to the cage build. can't tie it into the door/roof pillars, limiting total number of chassis pick-up points, things like that.. there are many inexpensive ways to add a tremendous rigidity to the chassis through the cage, but they are prohibited in IT...

The way I see this is just like you CAN get into Prod with a $3000 car, it doesn't mean you're going to be competitive.
But hey, this is an IT discussion not a Prod discussion... ;)

Back