C2000 vs C3000

Al Seim

This one qualifies for the department of outdated technology -

I run an HP VW Scirocco 1.6, and like many folks run a bit sporadically. A few years ago I had a pretty good setup on 8x20x13 Hoosier C2000 tires, the car handled well. I took a few years off and came back last season using C3000 tires, and the car never really felt right, it had a lot more understeer.

Can anyone remember far enough back - do the C3000 tires (especially on a fwd car) need anything different than the C2000 tires to work well? Especially in terms of camber or tire pressure?

I had started running the C2000 front tires a bit high in hot pressure to avoid cold sidewall roll under, I noticed that the C3000 rolled under less when cold and think maybe I could drop the pressure a bit. I was running about 30 psi hot maybe even a bit more.

After my layoff I was concentrating more on driving than on setup, but in hindsight I'm sure the car wasn't working 100%.

Thanls in advance!

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco 1.6

Al, what compound were the C3000's ?

I'm showing 3 different ones:
R25B,R35A,R45B,
soft >>>> hard
I typically go with the R45B all the way around on my VW Wabbit, but could get away with R35A's on the rears.

re radials -

That's certainly the other option - anybody want to help with that?

Which width for an 1850 lb HP fwd car?

I've got a bunch of 6x13 wheels - is that a handicap?

Al

I've been told that the 215 will fit on a 13x6 rim. Go back to your IT setup, with up to 4 degrees of negative camber, and run they in the 35 - 40 psi range hot.

There was another thread, that had a ton of information on the Radials

racer_tim":2fbzte9v said:
I've been told that the 215 will fit on a 13x6 rim. Go back to your IT setup, with up to 4 degrees of negative camber, and run they in the 35 - 40 psi range hot.

There was another thread, that had a ton of information on the Radials
Yeah, the 215 radial goes on a 13x6", no problem. That camber seems a little high to me, I'd say more like -3 front & -2.5 rear, but temps and wear with ultimately dictate what your car likes. Those psi's seem high too, I'd say 28-33 hot, but yes I do now some people have liked a little higher, especially on RWD cars.

There have been several threads on the radials, with lots of good info. Who knows, there might even be some C3000 threads from 2009. :lol:

When we tested the tires on my car. 13x6 We did multiple back to back test from square 215 or square 195 or 215/195 F/R and event 195/215 F/R. The lap times could all be matched with either me or Tony Rivera driving. Tony did the test in my car for Hoosier. Neither he nor I could make one set up significantly better than any other. We did however decide that the 215/195 setup worked best for my car as it made the work easier. No changes were made to basic setup of the car. Both Tony and I like a loose car. Stiff, stiff, stiff!

The 215/195 setup also seems to give better front wear with my driving style. I start a 19 psi front and 21 psi rear most of the time. Colder weather I start higher. Usually end up 28 psi all around.

James -r

James -

Thanks, very enlightening.

Were you using data acq? Was the 195 setup faster on straights and slower in corners, or were things roughly even all around? Was this on an HP Honda? Same compound front/rear?

Al

Yes we did data. Marginally faster on narrow tires on straight. We don't have the straight length of Road America. I had thought about going narrow there, but was comfortable with the car so didn't. If I had of gone back most likely I'd have run narrow. My biggest issue was more gearing than tires. My tallest ring and pinion was too short for RA.

Anyway, same speeds could be reached in turns but you were sliding around a lot more. When I looked at the data it seemed to me that tire abuse over a 45 minute race would be too great to warrant the early speed. That's the problem with only testing for 5 laps for raw speed. Not enough real world information to base a race strategy.

I have a lot of help with my data analysis since I have both the GTA winner from last season and an F1 coach on staff.

James

James Rogerson":1jwkorbm said:
We did however decide that the 215/195 setup worked best for my car as it made the work easier.
James-
What does this statement mean? Is there a word missing?

Back