Bumper/ splitter clarification round 2

Air Dams: An air dam can be fitted to the front of the
car. It must not protrude beyond the overall outline of the
car as viewed from above, or extend aft of the forward
most part of the front fender opening (cutout), and must
not be mounted more than four inches above the horizontal
centerline of the front wheel hubs.

So how does the molded front of a bugeye meet this rule. Since the mold begins at or near the top of the firewall? It is an integrated piece and therefore not a separate mount.

James -r

I'll take a stab at it James. Nowhere in the rule does it say the Bugeye's air dam has to be a separate piece. That the air dam you describe is one piece with the bonnet is just the "chosen method of attachment". The location that it is integrated into the stock bonnet shape would be covered by it's relative position to the front wheel center height.

The technically illegal air dam seen regularly on lots of cars for decades now is the common "wrap" dzeus fastened to the body work. The plastic material is only maybe 1/8" or less thick however that thickness would not pass Jim's plumb test. I wouldn't dare mention this except that Jim has already let the cat out of the bag, in this very thread, and said this will be one of this years RunOffs "daily compliance checks".

Curtis":2d4nq81a said:
Nowhere in the rule does it say the Bugeye's air dam has to be a separate piece. That the air dam you describe is one piece with the bonnet is just the "chosen method of attachment".
It can be one-piece, but the stock piece behind the air dam should be there too. A ways back with the Wheeler/Werace bonnets were floating around, tech out here on the west made people add that lower valence back into their bonnets. Nothing in the rules allows you to eliminate bodywork behind the air dam. I believe some of the early Rx7's had an issue with eliminating the body behind the air dam. The bonnet that we made had the bottom portion of the valance, just like a stock bonnet. The air dam was an add-on piece. YMMV

Brian, That is good to know. I wonder if that is a regional interpretation or just an another example of something not often enforced? I always thought that the inner valence behind the spoiler would cease to be "bodywork" as it would no longer meet the technical definition after it was no longer licked by the airstream behind the spoiler. Not an issue for my car but again good to know.

2. An authorized addition, modification, substitution or removal can
not perform a prohibited function. An authorized addition, modification,
substitution or removal of one component does not permit the
addition, modification, substitution or removal of any other component
unless the addition, modification, substitution or removal is
specifically authorized.

The PCS is addition, modification, substitution or removal of components to the stock vehicle.
Since the valance is bodywork and there is no specific allowance to remove it, or substitute it
with an alternate material component. The addition of the airdam does not permit its removal.
There are some modifications you can make to it, and those are outlined throughout section 9.
I think this goes way back to Atlanta. It was mostly resolved until the RX7 front ends came around,
facilitating the change in the airdam rule 10 or so years ago.

This is the one that is going to catch somebody out. Most likely as a simple
oversight and without malice. Once somebody wants to make issue of it,
alot of cars are going to be scrambling to become compliant.

6. Misalignment or modification of the bodywork to create
ventilation where none existed stock, is prohibited.
All bodywork must be completely closed and securely
fastened while the car is in competition. The hood and
deck lid hinges can be removed. The hood and deck lid
must be securely fastened; the manner in which they
are secured is unrestricted. Stock door hinges must be
retained and mounted in their stock location. Door hinges
must be functional but can be lightened. Doors must be
securely fastened closed, provided they can be opened or
removed quickly in an emergency situation. Door handles
can be removed and any resultant holes must be covered.
The cover must not change the stock exterior contour of
the door. The stock side impact beams may be removed.

I just hate it when I slip & give away impound stuff. Makes my day so much shorter and our interaction so much more pleasant. Make sure your panel to panel fit is as stock but NO duct tape. If you need to make some repairs and duct tape is necessary, I suggest you come get me and let me look before impound. All parts of the paddock are easy to reach at Daytona. No hills, no valleys, no creeks. Hotel rooms are available as low as $39 per night/$165 per week and every restaurant you can think of is right around the corner as is the airport. Krispy Kreme donuts has hot all day and night only two miles away. Owner races a SM. I prefer raspberry or chocolate covered creme filled. :D

FP Racer":1v2dw142 said:
I just hate it when I slip & give away impound stuff. Makes my day so much shorter and our interaction so much more pleasant...
Krispy Kreme donuts has hot all day and night only two miles away. Owner races a SM. I prefer raspberry or chocolate covered creme filled. :D

8) Bavarian creme or the sweet white sugary stuff (no idea what it's called)?

I'll bring you some Dunkin' Donuts from Massachusetts....they might be a bit crunchy by the time we get there. 8)

Ed Funk":kdrszh5m said:
I'll bring you some Dunkin' Donuts from Massachusetts....they might be a bit crunchy by the time we get there. 8)

I flew some chocolate donuts home from Pikes Peak to Tulsa once. even just a few hours old, they were not nearly as good at 720ft as they were at 14,000 ft!!

... Back to your regularly scheduled discussion...

From the glossary:
"Addition – To introduce a component not present in the cars stock state,
or attachment to an existing component."

Making a complete piece of body work is not an addition. It's the introduction of a replacement for the stock panel.

James Rogerson":3dudqule said:
From the glossary:
"Addition – To introduce a component not present in the cars stock state,
or attachment to an existing component."

Making a complete piece of body work is not an addition. It's the introduction of a replacement for the stock panel.

Which is allowed for a car with a one piece front end (Bugeye)

It has to maintain the stock shape. Molding the air dam/spliter into the piece makes it no longer the stock shape.

That's why others have stated it has to have the original underneath.

Maybe I can get one of the yellow perils to protest themselves for clarification. ;-)

James -r

Thread hijack....have seen Mk I Sprite (Bugeye) fronts on later model rears (and vice versa). Isn't that "creating" a model. What makes it legal?

As Brian Linn already stated, the bodywork behind the air dam should be there on the fiberglass bugeye bonnets, just like it is required to be on the later square-bodies. We are required to run the original stock STEEL valence with the outside skin intact with no additional holes that didn't come with the piece (except for maybe brake ducts - not sure of that part and don't have the PCS in front of me). One inspector even thought that every bit of this original valance needed to be maintained intact, but I believe that he has been enlightened. A lot of this piece can be considered radiator ducting that can be removed or replaced with alternate material.

In other words, for the bugeye, you get to replace steel with fiberglass, but you don't get to remove anything on the original outer body. The molded air dam of the bugeye gives them a nice little advantage because it is smoothly attached to the body, and I can't even use duct tape to fill in the gaps??

Ed Funk":6guaf1fp said:
Thread hijack....have seen Mk I Sprite (Bugeye) fronts on later model rears (and vice versa). Isn't that "creating" a model. What makes it legal?
That is allowed through the update backdate rule. Those cars are on the same line of the PCS. There are a lot of examples of that out there - Linn, Collishaw, Cummings to name a few.

dead horse;
Did the undertray description get moved or deleted? The STL section has theirs but nothing in the Prod section.
I was building a tray from the dam to the axle and looking for the parameters.
How about the rear area?
TIA, MM

Protech Racing":3knq0f4t said:
Did the undertray description get moved or deleted?
I don't think the Prod rule ever had an "undertray" description. IMO, there is an area described for the air dam (can't see if from above beyond the profile of the bodywork, can't be higher than 4" above CL of wheels, and no further back than the forward-most part of the wheel opening). You can build whatever you want in the area as long as your not cutting/moving up existing structure/bodywork. So if you wanted an undertray, I believe you can have one going back to the front edge of the wheel opening. Mounting brackets are not allowed to go beyond the wheel opening either. My 2¢ but I didn't go back and re-read the rule.

Still seems obvious to me. If it's not "licked by the airstream" (and it's not if behind the spoiler), it's not bodywork. And if it does not meet the definition of "body" and doesn't necessitate addition support when removed, it can be.

When reading the PCS, word meaning is defined by the technical glossary, not general perception.

Back