Bolt in roll bar for 67 Datsun 1600 roadster w top

Jay Lutz

Neighbor down the street is looking for one.....looking for sources. Is Autopower still in business? Others? Does anyone sell a powder coated rollbar?

Thanks, Jay

Whatever he orders, make sure it's returnable. A '67 is a low windshield I think, and the off-the-rack bars I've seen (long ago) would barely fit under the top of a later high windsield car. Dunno if there are specific bars for early cars but I doubt it.

I ordered a bar (long ago) for my high windshield 1970 car. Not only would it barely fit under the top, but the mounting pads were at a significant angle to the sloping area of the floor where they needed to mount. I sent the thing back in disgust - and fortunately never flipped the car over!

If I was do do this again on a road car Roadster I think I'd just go to a race car fab shop and have them make one. I'm sure it would cost more - maybe not a lot after shipping - but would actually fit.

Dick's right-

a low- windshield car needs a low, narrow bar to get under the top 'mechanism'.

And a fabricated bar could attach to the frame, which would be a heck of a lot
safer than the sheet metal attachments, probably offsetting the lack of height somewhat.

aww, now I wanna go get my roadster running again...

t

Hi Jay,

I have an Autopower bar in my '68, but as already said, that's a high windshield car and for a '67, you need a low windshield bar.

I think you have to go custom as others have said. I can't be sure if there are factory holes for a bar in the early cars (pre '68) as there are for the later cars ('68-'70). Heck I don't know if there was a factory bar for the early cars and good luck finding one.

Making it fit with the top installed will take some fabricating skill. My Autopower does work with the top but it scrapes on the bar...no room for a bar cover, and mostly I go without the top. It's a fair weather driver!

Bill

Thanks guys for your help....I think I'm set. I had a '66 1600 roadster all through college and for a few years after that. Fun car....very MGBish. My old friend Mark Weber (racing photographer) and I would race on Highway 70 in St. Louis...he had a Triumph GT6 which was approximately equivalent in a straight line.

Moderator, Moderator - don't we ban people for discussing street racing?.......

Oh wait, I guess the statute of limitations runs out after 40 years or so..... 8)

I had a 2000 Roadster in college. The British car guys had trouble believing how fast those old Datsuns were. The magazine 0-60 times were not impressive, but I think that was mostly a function of the incredibly skinny 4.5" (IIRC) bias tires they came with. With a decent set of 185-14 radials I stopwatched 0-60 a full 2 secs faster than the magazine times.

I REALLY need to restore that car.....

Back