Blast cabinet

Dick, is this hobbyist or pro? As a hobbyist, I've got a Harbor Freight blast cabinet that works pretty well when connected to my vacuum. I've got a 5hp 80 gallon compressor so air flow isn't an issue. I'm able to restore a lot of different types of parts, hardware, etc.

It's not perfect, but works very well for the occasional use it receives. It cost me at the time around $200.

I've got two blast cabinsts, one HF cabinet, it's decent for the price, it could use a a better light, and better blast gun. My second cabinet TP Tools Skatblast, now that is a great machine, it usees a flood light for it's light, and foot operated gun, which far superior to the hand trigger gun, I also use thier carbide tips in the blast gun, they cost more, but outlast the ceramic tips 20 to 1. TP tools has options to upgrade any blast cabinet, and even plans for you to build your own cabinet from plywood and use their kit to finish it, no matter what cabinet you buy, you'll wish you had bought a TP tools cabinet and you'll end up buying your supplies from them.

I will Echo Haps Comments on the SKAT Blast line. I have been using the same
850 http://www.tptools.com/p/3270,54_850-T- ... binet.html for 15 years in a heavy duty driveline shop. My unit gets used all day every day for some pretty heavy stuff. Equipment brake shoes, heavy duty driveline parts, 15 in heavy duty flywheels, it handles them all. Keep the grease out of it, the occasional glove and tip change and it will treat you good for a long, long time.

Just a reminder; these things are air hogs.

Can't run one (long) on a 1 1/2 HP, 20 gal. compressor.

My experience; the bigger cabinet, the better. But these things are also space hogs. It'd be nice if someone made a fold-able or collapse-able unit so one could use the space when not using the blast cabinet.

RJS

Definitely air hogs. I built a small cabinet out of plywood. worst. mistake. ever. either way, I was running it on a little 2 1/2hp compressor, and the thing ran constantly and only provided about 30psi constant. no bueno for blasting away anything but dust.
that one finally blew up and I bought a 7.5hp 60 gal tank that was capable of 10CFM @ 90psi. mucho mas bueno, but I would still consider that bare minimum for a sandblaster- it was able to keep a constant 85psi or so and the compressor ran 100% of the time. (But I installed it in a tool shed outside so I didn't have to listen to it anymore!)

Back