Blackhawk Majors - May 3-4

kruck

With FP getting done before lunch on Sunday, it makes the event a viable option for me, since I theoretically won't need to take any vacation time. I won't know for another three weeks if I can make it (need to get on the dyno and to a MO test first), but a decent field would probably talk me into it. Anyone else thinking about going? I haven't raced that track since my first ever SCCA race, 14 years ago! 88-o

Somewhat odd groupings:
Group 3 - FP,HP,GTL,T3,T4,STU,STL,B-Spec
Group 6 - EP,AS,T1,T2,GT1,GT2,GT3

Saturday, May 3, 2014
8:40 AM - 20 min Practice Groups 3&6
10:40 AM - 20 min Qualifying Group 3
NOON - Lunch
1:00 PM - 20 min Qualifying Group 6
2:50 PM - 25 min timed race, Group 3
4:50 PM - 25 min timed race, Group 6
5:30 PM - Worker/Competitor Dinner/Party

Sunday, May 4, 2014
8:30 AM - 15 min Closed Wheel Warm Up
11:15 AM - 24 laps, or 45 min race, Group 3
NOON - Lunch
2:50 PM - 24 laps, or 45 min race, Group 6

Current Entries:
Group 3
72 - Froh, Michael - F Production - Elkhart Lake, WI

Group 6
89 - Brakke, Jon - E Production - Fargo, ND
20 - Loughman, Lance - E Production - Lake Zurich, IL
63 - Moser, Joe - E Production - Wilmette, IL

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/eve ... z1cSsHD-71

Did anyone else notice the practice session groupings? Bspec (G3) in with GT1 (G6). Makes me go hmmmmm......

But I'll be there helping Margie with her Admin duties.

Dayle

Dayle brings up a really good point... I'd like to go, but between the practice groupings and car not being ready, I'm out. See you guys at Mid O

I just received an email from Butch Kummer (SCCA Majors Director) and he asked me to post the following:

"I know people might find the combined-group practice sessions disconcerting but the region wanted to give people more track time and still have a qualifier and two races into a two-day weekend. That’s also the reason we added to following to the Supps:

= = = = = = =

COMBINED GROUP PRACTICE/WARM-UP SESSIONS: The combined-group sessions allow drivers to learn the track, bed brake pads, scuff tires, and/or test changes/repairs that may have been completed since the last session. As such they are not being timed and have no effect on any race grid positions. Please extend additional courtesy toward your fellow drivers during these sessions."

Dayle

At Hallett we were combined with SRF for warm up. Not a big deal, same as Eagles Canyon, not many people went out and most were scrubbing tires. I got to run behind Jesse and Eric at about 7/10's and learned a lot about the proper line.

Enough, apparently. :D

Mazda Jon":3mwdtxq8 said:
At Hallett we were combined with SRF for warm up. Not a big deal, same as Eagles Canyon, not many people went out and most were scrubbing tires. I got to run behind Jesse and Eric at about 7/10's and learned a lot about the proper line.

Mazda Jon":138ro1lf said:
.... I got to run behind Jesse and Eric at about 7/10's and learned a lot about the proper line.
Wait, so Jesse taught Jon how to beat Kent? Interesting.

Group 3:
FP
72 - Froh, Michael - Elkhart Lake, WI
74 - Gnadt, Mike - Kiel, WI
69 - Griesinger, Dieter - Maple Park, IL
36 - Hart, Michael - Mundelein, IL
48 - Sturm, Michael - Grafton, WI

GTL
63 - Lewis, Brad - St. Louis, MO
18 - Sargis, Steve - Frankfort, IL
59 - Socha, Greg - Richland, MI

HP
15 - Gauper, Greg - Hubertus, WI

Group 6 (EP):
89 - Brakke, Jon - Fargo, ND
20 - Loughman, Lance - Lake Zurich, IL
63 - Moser, Joe - Wilmette, IL
17 - Smyczek, Steve - Brookfield, WI

Looking like I probably won't be there. Car is mostly ready, but would be a "arrive late Friday night, jet home ASAP on Sunday, get home late, and be back at work early Monday morning" kind of event. Would also require dealing with the wild-card of Chicago traffic. :(

Still only one HP car? C'mon fellas.....show some school spirit! Where's Bob K./Dick G., Trainer, Johnson, Banner, Fairbanks, etc....all the usual suspects? You can't let Greg just run away and hide, can you?

Dayle

Dayle Frame":1nxronhr said:
Where's Bob K./Dick G., Trainer, Johnson, Banner, Fairbanks, etc....all the usual suspects? You can't let Greg just run away and hide, can you?

I'll be there with Bob K., Dick G., and Trainer checking out the action. :)

The weather looks like it'll cooperate tomorrow (sunny and 65F). I'm just here helping Margie so I'll try and update the thread as I can. Be sure and 'watch' the live T&S feed on race monitor.

The division has the FP, HP and GTL cars with the DOT classes (STL, STU, T3, T4, Bspec). It'll be interesting to see of this mix and work together on a tight track like this. EP is with heavy metal........scary!

Dayle

The good news is that EP was folded in with the rest of its fellow prod classes. So now we had a real alphabet soup of EP, FP, HP, GTL, T3, T4, STL, STU and BSpec in one race group. Oy vey!

EP: Brakke ran away and hid with Smyczek chasing him. Moser was at the back of the field (I think because his times were pulled for sound). He ran through the field and ended up second and Smyczek finished third. No other starters.

FP: Hart and Sturm we're close in qual times but Sturm ended up with the 'W', Hart was second and Froh was third.

HP: This is an easy report as Gauper was the only HP entry. He started DFL so as not to interfere with other races and to keep out of the way. He ended up winning and saving the car for future contests.

GTL: Sargis won easily with Brad Lewis finishing second. No other starters.

I'm kinda surprised how thin the field is. This event has 150 ish cars last year and the weather was nice. Prod and small formula (FF, FV, F5) were well below other fields. There were 29 SMs and 20 SRFs.

I'll try and get a report out tomorrow for the feature race.

Dayle

not there, it's Blackhawk, not my favorite track.

no real incentive this year. not going to the runoffs, no going for a majors "title" since that really didn't get me anything.

Just got home after the drive from Rockford.

EP: Moser and Brakke dueled for the first few laps but Joe retired with what he suspected was a blown clutch. That left second for Smyczek (who won the GoPro camera). No other starters or finishers

FP: Sturm clobbered the field (again) with Hart and Froh filling out the podium.

HP: Again, Gauper was the only entrant, starter and finisher.

GTL: Sargis was the only starter as Brad Lewis was a DNS. Steve retired a few laps early as a caliper bolt has removed itself causing the caliper to move. This allowed the car to roll backwards but not forwards. This forced Steve to suffer the indignity of having to back his car all the way from the tech shed to his paddock spot. But he was a good sport about it and nobody razzed him (knowing he would have the last laugh at a later point in time). :D

We're all hoping that this is not an indication of the prod/GTL support for the rest of the NorCon Majors this summer.

Many kudos to BVR and MIL regions as they did a great job hosting their first Major. Things went smoothly all weekend and the chiefs and their teams are to be commended for their work.

On to MidO in a few weeks.

Dayle

Back