Battery question - 6v and 12v

EPrill

I have an RV with a pair of 12V batteries and I've read from other owners of the same brand/application that the house batteries die very quickly because it's running an inverter for a residential fridge. I have not confirmed this with my own, but I want to be prepared so I'm not running the generator constantly.

I've read enough to know that I need to increase my amp hours and the best way to do this is with a pair of 6v batteries (Trojan T105s, rated at 447 minutes at 25A). I've read that the hot lick is to do 4 of these to double your amp hours.

But being cheap, I don't want to buy 4 of them. I want to buy 2 and add them to my existing pair of 12V batteries with the pair of 6v in a series and that pair in parallel with the 12s. The 12s are brand new Interstates and rate at 150 minutes each at 25A.

I've also read that the weakest link in the parallel system will drag down the strong ones, meaning that (theoretically) the system which appears to be 747 minutes (447+150+150) will be less. Will this hurt my stronger pair of 6v batteries?

So the big question is -- do I just replace remove the 12v batteries and go to the pair of 6v batteries (still gaining amp hours) or do I run them together?

Or am I nuts to do anything but install 4 of the 6v so everything is identical?

I added a solar panel and I just left the motorhome at St Simon not plugged in for 12 days before the batteries finally went down. And the main reason was I moved the motorhome where it only got partial sun instead of sun all day. Only thing running was fridge. The one I added was one the small, cheap ones from Harbor Freight and I mounted it on the dash.

I have a solar panel on the roof that does not work and I'm going to replace it before this season starts for real.

Back