Balancing race tires

markb

I've always had my tires balanced and put tape on the weights. I've also marked my tires before and noticed that they spin on the rims from the mounting lubricant. Given that they move on the rim is there any point in balancing?

Seems to me like that is just a wasted step and a PITA cleaning the tape and weights off every time a new set is mounted. Thoughts?

With my previous gt2 car, it was not needed(bias and radial). Never had vibration, even at 150mph. With the FP Miata, I tried that and it shook bad with new tires(bias ply). Had them balanced and everything was AOK. Not sure why the difference. Now I did try the Hossier radials(used tires). Mounted them by hand, no balance and at 120mph at Pocono had no vibration. ????
Chris

Mark,
My tires may rotate a few degrees (max 10 deg ?) the first session, then 5 deg the next session, and nearly zero the third session. Some tires don't rotate more than a degree total.

I mark my tires and the weights to see any movement. If the tire rotates very far, I would take them back to the tire guys and have them "check the balance". They end up altering the balancing for the new tire position. I never get charges as I do it the same day as I got the tires.

I like the insurance of balancing.
Peter

I had to start mounting my SM tires dry to get it to stop... Fronts would spin one way and the rears the other...
Or try mounting them and not using them for a couple weeks...
Yes you need to balance, rebalance if they spin much...

my fronts would spin almost 1/2 way around if raced right away... rears less. I don't notice it on the FP, but I don't watch as close...

Sam

markb":3h2tnzmx said:
I've always had my tires balanced and put tape on the weights. I've also marked my tires before and noticed that they spin on the rims from the mounting lubricant. Given that they move on the rim is there any point in balancing?

Seems to me like that is just a wasted step and a PITA cleaning the tape and weights off every time a new set is mounted. Thoughts?

You can always do what the drag folks do

Drill the rims and use sheet metal screws into the bead

Of course that might just mess up the bead

Buff/scuff the shine out of the bead area.
I always balance our sets. nothing fancy,just static.
If the balance is too far off, you cant see out of the mirrors. So please balance your wheels so that you see our car coming around on you.. :)

Back