Auto Club Speedway (Fontana) Nat/dbl Reg Jan 20-22, 2012

Brian Linn

entries for the National as of 1/18/12:
Possibly some rain over the weekend. Only 110 entries for the National, 118 for Regional 1 and 124 for Regional 2.

Grouped with GT1-GTL, AS and STU - I tried to get the groupings to more of a traditional small bore/large bore, but wasn't successful. Back-up plan was to get all slick tires in one group and DOT tires in another, but that didn't happen. Why AS is not with T1, I have no idea. STU seems like a natural fit with Touring and SS.*
E Production Longwell, John BMW 328iS
E Production Gist, Gary Mazda RX7
E Production Karlson, Roger Elva Courier
F Production Linn, Brian Mazda Miata
F Production murph, gary Opel GT
GT-Lite Fazzi, Michael Mazda Miata
GT-Lite Bower, John Nissan Sentra
GT-Lite gilcrease, bill Mini Cooper

Grouped with T1-T3, SS (8-T1 Vettes in this group - they usually put on entertaining races, but I wouldn't want to share the track with them)
H Production Bestwick, Jamie Toyota Yaris
H Production Shaver, Leroy MG Midget
H Production Isley, Jason Toyota Yaris

*edit: One of the STU drivers is double dipping in T2

Fingers crossed for a dry track... We have two newbies making their first Club Racing starts during the weekend, and I don't want to fix two cars. :shock:

Bestwick has been warned about the T1 guys, "they will blow your doors off on the strait, and then stop in front of you for no apparent reason". :lol:

I suppose I should get to cleaning up the 99 car, still has mud in it from the Runoffs.

So Jason, I gotta ask...
Since there is going to be two of you, what is the plural form of Yaris?
Yaris's?
Yarii?
Yareese?

We are ready.

406356_153478328098637_100003094128221_217342_1767213203_n.jpg

Is that the bmx rider Jamie Bestwick?! If so, that's pretty rad (I bmx'ed for ten years, hence my user name). 8)

That's exactly the demographic the SCCA needs if it wants to survive.

hoffman900":20r5wets said:
Is that the bmx rider Jamie Bestwick?! If so, that's pretty rad (I bmx'ed for ten years, hence my user name). 8)

Yes, he even brought his bike with him. Super nice guy that attracts a lot of the right kind of attention. We certainly think he will bring some new eyes to SCCA - it does not hurt that GoPro sent a team of three guys that put 11 cameras in his car for the race.

He did his first Regional today and finished second. He starts the natl second behind me.

Jason@SportsCar":3ljjgnwk said:
hoffman900":3ljjgnwk said:

Yes, he even brought his bike with him.
Ahh, that's where I know that name from. Very cool. 8)

Good luck to all today!

Jason@SportsCar":2m33ju7o said:
Greg Gauper":2m33ju7o said:
So Jason, I gotta ask...
Since there is going to be two of you, what is the plural form of Yaris?
Yaris's?
Yarii?
Yareese?

We were referring to them as Yarii back when we built the two Sony GT cars (aka B-Specish). However, TMS legal corrected us, it is Yaris's. They kept the ii name for another product. :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBQuKugGCs8

That can't be as thats the possesive.

I don't have much of a report, it turns out trying to run a two car team is like a full time job, I never saw a lap from another race, or many people outside of our pit. Exhausting.

Natl HP race I got the pole, the rain practice I got at the Runoffs helped a lot. :lol:

Manged to get within .3sec of Whittman's lap record on my way to the win.

Jamie Bestwick did a great job in his first SCCA Club Racing weekend. He picked up 2nd place in the Sat Reg and the Natl, then went on the post his best lap times of the weekend in the final Reg race and take the win. I let Philip Royle drive the 99 in the last Reg and he managed to blow the right front tire while battling with Jamie - that guy sure is hard on tires.

Having Jamie on board brings a lot of attention. GoPro had a three man team dedicated to covering his race, in the Natl they had 12 cameras on the car, as well as a number of stationary units around the track. I cant wait to see what they put together. Alpinestars also sent a video crew to interview him. He will certainly help us in reaching out to the youth market, and he is a super nice guy to work with. Its going to be a great year.

405650_10150607196326983_624541982_10820553_208878530_n.jpg

394519_154202071359596_100003094128221_218820_1361001617_n.jpg

Jamie is not use to finishing second, but he is adjusting.
395562_3075392253317_1519033926_32907523_160658011_n.jpg

All of the regular Monster Energy drink girls were booked at the Super-cross, so they sent a back up girl... Seemed a bit young to me.
396510_155674457879024_100003094128221_223092_1859807655_n.jpg

Very frustrating weekend for me. I had an engine 'miss' over the three days that I couldn't solve. I was calling Jesse over the three days and he gave me all sorts of ideas of things to check. I also had some help at the track from people that knew how FI systems work much better than me. Prior to this weekend, the Electromotive Tec3 had worked so well, I've never really dug into how it works. The silver lining is that my knowledge base has increased, but still limited.

So still digging for answers. Waiting to hear back from Electromotive on some things and Jesse has some more tricks up his sleeve. Thanks to Jesse for being so accessible to me on the phone, as I was lost.

Got the finish and time to move on. Now about that Blust MG....I don't think Loren Moore or Craig Chima have ever owned it, which seems wrong.

Re; the Blust car --- Craig Chima is one of the people who, according to an older logbook, has owned this car.

Ron

Jason,

I can't believe I'm saying this, but both Yarises look really good.

Great job on them and bringing Jamie into our sport!

Eric

EPrill":qhx2z664 said:
Jason,

I can't believe I'm saying this, but both Yarises look really good.

Great job on them and bringing Jamie into our sport!

Eric

Thanks. You can let the fine folks at Black Magic know to send the 2012 Shine award to the same place they sent the 2011 one. :wink:

Back