April 2024 Fastrack Discussion

I don't think I've seen a "TYFYI" list as long as that one...ever.

Last edited:
Great, now I have to make a new Flagtronics mount. Kind of silly that it has to be in reach when in a normal seated position while belted. If you are "OK" to be able to push the button to respond to the message, surely you can unbuckle your belts.

I'll disagree, Ralf. I may have been one of the initiators of this requirement, and it makes sense.

My situation was that I mounted my Flagtronics way forward at the base of the windshield of my '08 Civic Si; I did that so I would not have to re-focus in and out to be able to read it (59-yr-old eyes), same as with heads-up displays (and why I really don't like camera-based rear view mirrors and the parallax and depth of field conflicts they cause...)

Here's my Runoffs in-car:

During that Runoffs hit I apparently exceeded the g-level to generate the "OK?" message and I was asked afterward why I did not acknowledge it, since I was obviously fine. I replied that first, I didn't see it because the Flagtronics came loose (double-sided sticky Velcro doesn't cut it); second, I had no idea about that function because I guess I didn't read deep enough into the instructions; and third, there was NO WAY I was going to be able to get to that unit while even unstrapped (it was a PITA just installing it), let alone strapped in.

Fourth, ain't no way I'm unstrapping on a hot track to confirm to Control I'm fine, yet I think this immediate confirmation would go a long way toward reducing Black Flag or Red Flag all situations.

I'm guessing I'm one factor in why they added that requirement. And I support it.

In following the Super Tour as a SM/SMX Class Ambassador (more on that some other time), I'm learning more and more about the capabilities of Flagtronics and the opportunities it may provide to improve our racing experiences (read: more hot track time). As I am joking with EricP, I want to hate it from a position of knowledge, not from a position of ignorance...but I'm slowly coming around to supporting it, maybe eagerly.

More soon. - GA

I certainly didn't know that one had to be able to respond to a question from the Flagtronics unit.

I have no structure that is in or near line of sight and reachable while belted.

I can:
Buy a digital dash and mount to steering wheel. (not sure if button press on dash can talk to Flagtronics)
Buy a steering wheel with integral display and buttons. (not sure if button press on digital steering wheel can talk to Flagtronics)
Mount Flagtronics on stalk to place it within reach.
Use some remote "OK" button (yet to be designed and implemented) that is mounted with all of my switches.

What other options?

After seeing it this weekend, it's growing on me. I saw some advantages to having it. It's not the device in the car anymore that concerns me, it's the staffing at a small Majors or Regional race when it's made a requirement for those races. It will be another specialty in the tower.

Just based on my limited experience...right now, the primary limitation of Flagtronics is the infrastructure that Topeka is carriaging around to, and setting up at, the Super Tours. That setup will be at the Runoffs.

They have already mandated Flagtronics for the Runoffs; it's still "recommended" for the 2024 Super Tour. I've seen its value there. The Runoffs will be a useful data point where everyone is required to have it.

I suspect it will be mandated for Super Tour and Runoffs 2025 and beyond, using Topeka's traveling support infrastructure.

Because of those infrastructure and support requirements (as you noted), I don't see Flagtronics becoming mandated at Majors and Regionals "for quite some time" (my words). It would move faster if each track adopted the infrastructure themselves, but absent that it will be hit or miss for other events.

There's value to the product - the most obvious being better flags recognition by drivers - but I'm becoming more aware that its biggest value comes when everyone has it. Even one car without it diminishes those overall opportunities.

I don't see this as a fast adoption at the Majors or Regional level. It'll happen as fast - or as slow - as we want it to happen. I'll tell you by end of year my opinion on how fast I'd like to see it happen... - GA

Question: Is the unit battery powered? I'd take suggestions from Spridget owners as to where you'd mount the unit where you can see it and not restrict forward vision. Got to wonder where you'd put it in an open wheel car. Bob

Forgot to say "which battery power, car or small installed".

Last edited:
Question: I... Got to wonder where you'd put it in an open wheel car. Bob
After a LOT of discussion on ApexSpeed, Flagtronics has agreed that they will produce a narrow strip display, separated from the base unit, so that installation in formula and sports racing cars can be accomplished without massive effort.

Dave

Here's an installation of the Flagtronics FT200 on youtube.
flagtronics ft200

Mike Miller's Spridget had his on the left side of the steering wheel and the antenna in the middle of the car just in front of the windscreen. You might want to ask him. I think I want mine where the camera can see it.

After a LOT of discussion on ApexSpeed, Flagtronics has agreed that they will produce a narrow strip display, separated from the base unit, so that installation in formula and sports racing cars can be accomplished without massive effort.

Dave
That would work for the Spridgets too.

I'd suggest that, for now, don't worry too much about the "within reach" requirement. This requirement intros a packaging problem for a lot of cars and may need to get adjusted.

If you can do it great; if not then you really don't need it there until the Runoffs, since it's "recommended" for all other 2024 events. And watch Fastrack for updates/adjustments.

Of course. Just mounted it within drivers reach a couple of hours ago. :rolleyes: I'll leave it for now and see how I like there.

Someone asked me to clarify the Flagtronics serial number and registration requirements.

The serial number of your unit is printed on the bottom of the unit itself. It can also be pulled up via USB using the Flagtronics Windows software. Jot that number down into your logbook, right next to your transponder number.

If you add that number to the car in your "garage" on MotorsportsReg then race control will automatically pull it in as part of your event reg. Look for a "Flagtronics Number" line, right below "Transponder Number".

I'll chime in. There is a race memo with revised language about Flagtronics mounting from the prelims. https://www.scca.com/downloads/71435-rm-24-02-flagtronics/download

It is recommended to be within reach. But it is most important to be in a visible location for the driver. If that can be done within arms reach - that's preferred so that the driver can press the button to respond to an "OK?" question after an impact. Not all types of cars can achieve "visible" and "within reach" at the same time.

Back