Any reports from MARRS at Nelson Ledges?

Me, too, Jimmy. I had actually signed up, but had to withdraw. Initially because the car wasn't ready, but it turned out that I've been in the office all weekend working on a project that ended up needing hours of OT.

Wonder how it went. Low number of entries from what I saw, but they seemed to pick up some at the very end. Still not the numbers MVR would have hoped for. Believe the 13-race season for MARRS competitors is finally taking its toll.

Definately a low turnout and a strange weekend. Only smallbore MARRS cars were Fred in F, myself in H, Rittenhouse in LC, and 3 Cahalls in STsomething. We were joined by Dave English in his Civic, A yellow Spit from MI in F, and the "house" STU Honda.

Fred ran away on Saturday, and the Spitfire went off with a broken steering arm. I put the "other" Cahalls (not Ted) between myself and Dave. Could only get to 1:23.9, wondering if I was halving a brake issue, a tire issue, or if it was just the $&*#$&& pavement.

Sunday morning I rolled in a little late, to find out the races had been cut to 10 laps, to try and beat the rain. Fred ran off again, and I once again put the Miatas between myself and Dave, until about lap 3-4 when the heavens opened up. Everyone went out on "dries" of course, and I started creaping around but still had severe underster at 4 and 13. I pitted at lap 5, and then went back out to make sure I got my half +1. In the meantime the checker came out. 10 minutes later, the rain stopped.

Think there were a number of factors that hurt this event.
1) Single as opposed to double.
2) All the races are taking a toll on the prod cars.
3) Its NL! I lost one of the long bolts that hold the starter motor to the solenoid just from qualifying.
4) it was after 3 consecutive weeks of racing of various types over in STCT. I know Lin was trying to drum up workers to go.
5) it was NFL HOF weekend. rooms were scarce.

I know that this was a MVRSCCA event, but if we are going to go west, I would rather go to PIRC (towtruck notwithstanding). If for nothing else than to avoid getting dinged TWICE each way on the PA Turnpike, plus the Ohio Turnpike.

Greg and all
Thanks for the update. I too figured that this event was not going to draw well.
I figured that this event would not be a big draw for all the reasons listed.

dave parker

Greg - re: getting dinged - that's what cruise control is for, if I ever use it, it's on the Ohio and PA turnpikes.

Ditto to CBB's comments. in addition to it being my wedding anniversary (possibly could have bargained that) NL is just too long a tow for a single, and, of course, nothing good has happened to Nelsons in recent memory. The place really needs an angel with $$ to rescue it. I used to really like it back in the 1970's, during my first go-round, when it was relatively smooth. Last year I was a DNS there - driving in the paddock I hit a bump so bad it cracked the oil pump cover on my spridget. Maybe it will be that PIRC will take its place in terms of serving that part of the country.

I could not believe my eyes when I saw the entry list after registration closed - 64 cars, even the hyper-competitive SM crowd only had 10 entries. IIRC we had something like 205 cars for the last MARRS at Summit Point.

I suggested to Dave P that we schedule two races at NJMP next year. For me (DC area) it's only a three hour tow, and an easy one.

Now let's see how many MARRS cars make the trip to Charlotte. For me it'd be 9 hours or so, counting on I-95 to smile on me at least part of the way. Plus an entire Monday wiped after towing home - so, no thanks.

I think when they set the schedule for 2013, they would be well served to remember that the MARRS is a WDC Region series. Keep it closer to home. It might not please the SM rent-a-ride entrepreneurs to have a shorter schedule, but it would be more coherent and more meaningful.

Last time I looked at the points chart, there were fewer championship-eligible classes than last year (in terms of turnout over the course of the season to date). I don't think this was the intended consequence.

I think they still have time to change the final SUmmit race to a MARRS points event. I bet a lot of drivers would support that.

I sent a letter to the RE and Comp Chair at the beginning of the season voicing my opinion that the schedule was not well-thought-out for a number of reasons. The answer I received was sort of a polite "thank you but go pound sand" sort of response. Among their reply, they said "well, all these OORs came to us asking us to play with them" to which my answer was "well, you didn't have to say yes to ALL of them". Hearing from Sandy Kryder, however, that was not how she put it: her response was that WDCR went asking them for a race at Nelson, not the other way 'round. Regardless of how it came about, low entries and low worker numbers ultimately make it tough on the host region. MVR ended up with the short end of the stick here.

Charlotte will not be on my calendar. Too damn far, too damn hot (although Rap said early in the season that it's a charming place in August - so I'm sure he'll be there), and I have a work commitment anyway. If we stick it to another region again with low worker #s and low driver #s, WDCR is going to end this season with a bad name.

Strictly from a worker standpoint I know fairly well what the numbers were from having spoken to specialty chiefs: if WDCR workers didn't make the 6 hour drive to VIR early in the season (many didn't), didn't make the 5 hour trek to the Glen a couple weeks ago (single digit WDCR workers), and didn't make the 6 hour drive to Nelson this past weekend (zero or singe digits), they sure aren't going to drive 9 hours to bake in Charlotte's heat.

mmacquee":10h84jpu said:
Greg - re: getting dinged - that's what cruise control is for, if I ever use it, it's on the Ohio and PA turnpikes.

Ditto to CBB's comments. in addition to it being my wedding anniversary (possibly could have bargained that) NL is just too long a tow for a single, and, of course, nothing good has happened to Nelsons in recent memory. The place really needs an angel with $$ to rescue it. I used to really like it back in the 1970's, during my first go-round, when it was relatively smooth. Last year I was a DNS there - driving in the paddock I hit a bump so bad it cracked the oil pump cover on my spridget. Maybe it will be that PIRC will take its place in terms of serving that part of the country.

I could not believe my eyes when I saw the entry list after registration closed - 64 cars, even the hyper-competitive SM crowd only had 10 entries. IIRC we had something like 205 cars for the last MARRS at Summit Point.

I suggested to Dave P that we schedule two races at NJMP next year. For me (DC area) it's only a three hour tow, and an easy one.

Now let's see how many MARRS cars make the trip to Charlotte. For me it'd be 9 hours or so, counting on I-95 to smile on me at least part of the way. Plus an entire Monday wiped after towing home - so, no thanks.

I think when they set the schedule for 2013, they would be well served to remember that the MARRS is a WDC Region series. Keep it closer to home. It might not please the SM rent-a-ride entrepreneurs to have a shorter schedule, but it would be more coherent and more meaningful.

Last time I looked at the points chart, there were fewer championship-eligible classes than last year (in terms of turnout over the course of the season to date). I don't think this was the intended consequence.

I think they still have time to change the final SUmmit race to a MARRS points event. I bet a lot of drivers would support that.

Oh, I had Cruise Control on and was very careful so no tickets. I was talkiing about my little open trailer still being class 2 for Tolls, and the fact that you pay a toll to enter/leave the PA Turnpike on the western border, and then the "real" toll plaza is east of Cranberry. Thats two less tolls each way to get to PIRC, and maybe even toll-free if you are insane enough to take I-68 to I-79.

I think only one "entrepeneur" did well, as RP and Performance Auto Works only had 4-5 Miatas and an SRX7 between them. Hagerman took the semi to support just 1 SRF.

the counter-argument to MARRS being a WDC series is that it has "Mid Atlantic" in the name. That's fine, but then I would suggest that we persue the tracks located within the Mid-Atlantic states.

All of those things said aside and I agree (tolls, turnout, facilities), I actually really enjoyed racing Nelson. The track is just so fast you can't not have fun (yes a double negative is appropriate here :lol:). I went through turn one in fourth nearly flat out with the rear end hanging out the whole way ... put a smile on my face.

Of course I'll have to tighten every nut on the car. Thanks Jesse for those AFCO shocks - they are amazing.

But most importantly, for me, I had to break the curse ... my last visit did not go well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dhSSmlF ... ture=g-upl

Thanks to the volunteers. I think you mentioned Greg they were making it a three-peat weekend having come from the PVGP double weekend and the national.

All things considered the stewards accomplished their goal. I left having enjoyed myself.

mmacquee":16o23u8p said:

Mike
I agree that it makes perfect sense for us to schedule two MARRS/Jersey (i do not know what they call their series) races at NJMP for 2013. That all depends on the Jersey folks. But I will push for it.

The 2012 MARRS series points races conclude at the Labor Day Double. The October Summit Point race weekend will not be a MARRS points race. Saturday schedule will have a morning qualifying session and an afternoon sprint race for all groups. On Sunday there will be sprint races for the Big Noise group, Wings and Things group, and Formula Yawn (FV, F5 and F6) in the morning. Sunday afternoon will be the 100 lap handicapped team endurance race.

cheers
dave parker

CBB":1glfveif said:
I sent a letter to the RE and Comp Chair at the beginning of the season voicing my opinion that the schedule was not well-thought-out for a number of reasons. The answer I received was sort of a polite "thank you but go pound sand" sort of response. Among their reply, they said "well, all these OORs came to us asking us to play with them" to which my answer was "well, you didn't have to say yes to ALL of them". Hearing from Sandy Kryder, however, that was not how she put it: her response was that WDCR went asking them for a race at Nelson, not the other way 'round. Regardless of how it came about, low entries and low worker numbers ultimately make it tough on the host region. MVR ended up with the short end of the stick here.

Charlotte will not be on my calendar. Too damn far, too damn hot (although Rap said early in the season that it's a charming place in August - so I'm sure he'll be there), and I have a work commitment anyway. If we stick it to another region again with low worker #s and low driver #s, WDCR is going to end this season with a bad name.
Carolyn
I would agree with Sandy Kryder's version. One of the ADC's was assigned to "schedule" OOR races from a list of "possibles", the ADC did, schedule all of them on the list. Which was probably not the best thing to do, but it is done and that is that.
We will have plenty of time this winter to hammer out a better schedule for 2013.

You mean WDCR does not already have a "bad name"?

Here is how I see the thing, out of region races are a good thing.
It makes our drivers better, we have some drivers that can drive Summit really well, take them out of the local sandbox and they are "not so good".

Out of region races cost us nothing, no risk, no cash out lay. Out of region races are a risk for the hosting region, but they are choosing the risk. A great example was the MARRS Watkins Glen race, MARRS cars made up more than half the entries. Without the MARRS cars that event would have been a loss for the Glen region.

Now, lets look at the NL race this past weekend, single sanction race with a long tow involved. The only MARRS drivers that would go would be the ones in a points chase or those with a special affinity for NL. Personally, I love the track at NL, but I am the first to admit that the place is a "upholstered cesspool". I am truly sorry that their event was not better attended, but I am hearing the same reasons for not going from most people. The dicey weather forecast did not help either.

I think that the CMS race will have a good draw. It is a double sanction race weekend with a Carolina Cup Pro Series thrown in at a track that the MARRS gang has not been to since the late 1990's. All of that add's up to a successful weekend in my eyes. We will see how it goes. Is it far away? Yes, but there are many reasons to tow that far for this event.

MARRS is the Mid Atlantic Road Racing Series and Mid Atlantic we shall be. We are not the Summit Point series. Those days are over, while I believe that we should have made these sort of decisions in 2003, 2004, 2005 when the economy was stronger and our fields were larger, we did not. Our leadership was comfortable with the way things were and was complacent. Now we all get to struggle to fix that. Believe me, my racing budget cannot handle a thirteen weekend season at all. I hope that I will have the funding to run the Labor Day Double. Especially after the disaster that my effort had at the July Summit MARRS weekend.

As I said at the beginning of the season, look at the whole schedule, think about what will give you the most bang for your buck and go to those races.

cheers
dave parker

I wish I could have gone. I have never been there. I have heard exactly what comments were posted here.
The place is "an upholstered shithole" (LOL,,, liked that one),,, but the track is a blast. I'll get there someday.

Me,,, I race whenever I can, or whenever my work schedule allows so I'd have been there regardless of tow simply because I never know when I can get the time. Usually my days run out far before my track budget. Work interferes so much I worry more about my tires aging out and is that gas in the car still fresh enough to race on?

That said,,, I'd prefer more Summits, NJMP (not my fav but not terrible) and see MARRS come north to the Glen more.
I know thats a hike for some of the WDCR locals, but man that track,,, is just,,, awesome.
MARRS at Summit is like home. All you guys have your spots,,, its like a neighborhood where all your friends live.
You know when you pull in where everyone will be. Its your place. I like that about it.

I think if I had a wish,,, maybe spread the MARRS season out more down the calendar.
MARRS series is alot of races for sure,,, many chances to race but for a guy like me the longer it goes across the calendar is better than the week on / week off schedule.
For example, I'll be getting some relief from my work schedule just after Labor Day,,, which sadly is when our series runs out. So I'll have to grab some events elsewhere to get some races in during Sept / Oct.
Thats just me being selfish, but maybe others are in the same boat. If anyone has a seasonal job that peaks during summer, others may be in the same boat. In my day job we make alot of hay Mid May through August. Obliterates a huge part of the season.

Sorry for Rambling. Good job on the great weekend Fred!

no video from it, but I had a bad previous experience that I wanted to make right, and I certainly got that chance. Future MARRS events or not, I think the weather steward has tried to tell me something, and I should heed it.

jimmypet":1pye0lzk said:
That said,,, I'd prefer more Summits, NJMP (not my fav but not terrible) and see MARRS come north to the Glen more.
I know thats a hike for some of the WDCR locals, but man that track,,, is just,,, awesome.
MARRS at Summit is like home.

I think if I had a wish,,, maybe spread the MARRS season out more down the calendar.
MARRS series is alot of races for sure,,, many chances to race but for a guy like me the longer it goes across the calendar is better than the week on / week off schedule.
For example, I'll be getting some relief from my work schedule just after Labor Day,,, which sadly is when our series runs out. So I'll have to grab some events elsewhere to get some races in during Sept / Oct.
Thats just me being selfish, but maybe others are in the same boat. If anyone has a seasonal job that peaks during summer, others may be in the same boat. In my day job we make alot of hay Mid May through August. Obliterates a huge part of the season.

Jim
These are all things that I will be working on in the off season.
As I told Carolyn in the past our region leadership wanted racing to be from March to October. Then the calendar was open for other things from October to March. I see no reason why the MARRS series could not still race into November at Summit.

cheers
dave parker

I'm sorry I couldn't make that race. NL sounds like a fun place.

Between work, car, and home projects, I haven't had enough leftover steam to load the car up and go racing. I might not even make the Labor Day Double at Summit.

I second Jimmy's vote to keep The Glen in the rotation if at all possible. I love that track. Same with VIR.

Back