30 tooth water pump pulley supplier?

disquek

I've found 28 and 32. I really want 30.

Here are some pics of mine. I would prefer that the face be undrilled. Center hole is fine.

Does anyone know where I can get a 30 tooth? Ideally 1" wide.

-Kyle

Just curious - is it a given that all such "race car" toothed belt drive pulleys use the same belt tooth pitch/form? There are a number of different industrial belt types, maybe only one is used in motorsports apps?

Al

There are 2 types of commonly used cogged belts in racing. The Gilmer belt uses square shouldered teeth/cogs on the belt and the pulley. That is what is in the picture. The HTP ( High Torque Pulley) has a rounded tooth. It has a higher torque capacity, requires the teeth on both the pulley and belt to match. Picture a fluted pulley and belt with a half round tooth. Irv Hoerr and Summit have pictures of them in their catalogs.

There is also a toothed belt used with common automotive "V" pulleys. It has teeth in the pulley side of the belt. It is more robustly built (more durable) and tends to last much longer. The teeth prevent the belt from "rolling over" on the pulley, and usually flying off. Deeper than stock grooved pulleys are also better at controlling the belt.

When installing any style new belts, I place my belts so I can read the labels as I am installing them. It insures that the next time I install it, the direction of rotation remains the same as it was when originally installed.

Always place a large idiot oil light in plain view when driving. I once threw a belt in a high speed, top gear, seeping turn. Was too busy to be watching the gauges at that point. The light came on and I shut down as quickly/safely as possible. A rock had gotten into the dry sump belt and pulley and threw it off. Was able to save the engine and finish the weekend with a just new belt....

Within each basic tooth form there are a number of different pitches, inch and metric, and some other subtleties, ergo this quote from a drive distributor's site:

Common pitches and profiles include XL (.200"), L (.375"), MXL (.080"), H (.500") HTD (3mm, 5mm, and 8mm), Powerhouse® (2mm, 3mm, 5mm, 8mm, and 14mm), T2.5, T5, T10, AT5, AT10, and Powerhouse MX® (8mm and 14mm).

I'm guessing that maybe all the conventional (trapezoid tooth) motorsports belts are probably L pitch?

Just curious, I run all low tech V belts on my car except of course the timing belt which is "OEM" and- I think - a metric trapezoidal belt.

Al Seim

I measured the width of the male tooth on mine to be .215. They are trapezoidal and I measured them at the base.

So I'd guess they are XL by your list below.

I've been overwhelmed by the help I've gotten on this. THANK YOU ALL!

I think I've found several places that list them. Now to see who actually has them.

Something I learned recently is that the way you can tell is the pulley is worn out is that it's showing wear in the bottom of the tooth groves. This revelation resulted in ALL of my pulleys being replaced!

The one in with the belt off is clearly worn out. Of course that picture was taken two years ago ...... :roll:

-Kyle

Hi Kyle -

The spec dimensions are pitch, ie the distance between some point on the tooth and the same point on the next tooth. So from your measurement I'd think it's an "L" ie 0.375". Again, I'm probably muddying the waters more than helping!

Al

The belt for my Turner was an XL. My understanding was that this was the standard for automotive applications. YMMV.

Kyle, can you read any of the remnants of the markings on the old belt? The markings identify the size and style of the belt. Wetting it will sometimes improve readability.

Belts are ordered by length, width and tooth pattern. That is how the belts are marked. I always kept the old belt as a spare, wrapped in the package of the new replacement belt. The package labeling contained the part number. L and XL are the most comply used Gilmer styles.

Back