2023 Runoffs entry fee

I've been getting a tad bent at the steadily-rising costs of participating in the Runoffs...entry approaching twice the price of a Super Tour (which is already 50% more than a Regional) and, what, an hour and a half of track time? Total? For being there a whole week? And this, after they took away the Monday qually day to sell it.

Oh, and let's toss another $250 "voluntary mandate" on top of it (nice dash you got there...it would be a shame if someone mandated you mounting something on it next year...)

But someone has to pay for a week-and-a-half at these major tracks that we want to go to. And we all know who pays the bills (no, it's not Summit...or Hagerty...or Flagtronics...)

Each year we keep thinking "maybe this is it" and we stick local. Ask me again in December. - GA

Greg - I am planning an attempt at the Runoffs in 2024 and I have to admit that I agree with you. The entry fees alone for the Tour events are high then the paddock fees, entry and others make it a very expensive proposition.
ez

I feel fortunate to have been able to compete in multiple Runoffs. Even almost got a podium despite my limited budget. There has been the most joy from my customers' Runoffs success.
For me regional racing has become fun again, supporting the local regions and tracks and the grassroots folks that make our fun possible.

I've enjoyed staying local this year, with no Super Tours, so cheaper events, shorter tows, two days at the track, and less drama. Looking forward to running Grattan again next month for the first time in 10 years.

Haven't shook the needle-to-the-vein Runoffs injection yet though.

It is encouraging to see some public objection to the costs going up at the runoffs. It has been established policy at the national office for decades to use the road racing programs to subsidize other club events and the SCCA national office disproportionately. This fact has been admitted to me by past directors numerous times and I have complained about it for 35 years. But maybe the prices are getting high enough that others are feeling it financially. My objection has always been based on the principle that everyone should pay their own way, but that never really caught anyone's attention. Maybe this will and the road racers will start demanding some accountability about where the money collected at runoff time go's. As near as 5 years ago I ask for a public accounting of the use of the profit [over $250 thousand dollars] SCCA made at Indy the 1st time and got the usual, " when hell freezes over" reply. Want to get the costs under control?, demand from your director's specifics about what they are doing with your money or elect people that think the membership has a right to know what is being done with their money? If you don't do that, you are just wasting your's and everyone else's time.

rick haynes

reprinted on 4 other web-pages

Im sort of looking forward to next year as my plans will. most likely be local stuff as well.

I know this is a long shot BUT I am hoping that the Runoffs comes back to Daytona in the next few years. I have started to build an FP car for that event. As I plan to retire from work in the next 2 years I sure would love to do the Runoffs and also continue racing in local events here in Florida.

manny":1t8d8j7l said:
I know this is a long shot BUT I am hoping that the Runoffs comes back to Daytona in the next few years.
IMO one of the best and most cost-effective Runoffs we've had in decades. Solid weather all week (though a tad muggy), $50/night hotels overlooking the beaches, out of tourist season so lots of excellent pricing and access at area restaurants and bars (and an excellent variety to choose from), tons of paddock space, and a historic track. not to mention (but I will) seeing a grandstand getting imploded and Miatas racing under the lights in the rain (without crashing or evne one full course caution, I might add).

So, yeah, I don't think we'll be going back any time soon. ;)

GA

Sebring has the space and races well. Daytona is mostly a big dyno. I like both .
The cost to do this is way more than I like and we may chase new tracks next year.
The regional level cars in the SE , are off the pace for the most part.( even on 100TW tires )
It still requires way too much time IMHO for a 3 day weekend for a couple of races.
The Runoffs require 6-9 days, is just nuts. 4-5 days each group. split the week whatever .
It's not the old days. Nobody cares but us.

We could also build upon the Deal that Jason and Jason have started. With a major race dedicated to a particular class. Elect to make that race our championship. Put some cash in and race for it. ??
HP has a lot of good peeps racing again . Maybe other classes could use the template . GTL ?

Mike
I think that is a good idea, Jason has done a great job at promoting the HP races It has really gone beyond what I thought was possible a few years ago. I would not have had a clue how to do what he has done so he is to be commended for his efforts. It would be nice to see that kind of effort for production racing at the national office. But the question is will people be satisfied to race in an end-of-year "championship race' that is not sanctioned by SCCA as a National champion?

If the known "best of the best" are there in cars that are properly specified for the class performance target, then I don't think it will matter who sanctions the event or winner.

Maybe tighten up the restrictions on slow qualifying times, but not to the point of having a 5 car field.

Back