2016 Runoffs survey

Mazda Jon

Everyone get this?

Whats the general thought on run groups?

Option A: 24 qualifying groups.
Four groups have multiple classes.
Three (3) 20-minute qualifying sessions over four (4) days Monday - Thursday.
Each class has 1 day off. Could be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.
60 minutes of qualifying time.

Option B: 18 qualifying groups.
10 groups have multiple classes.
Many of the groups will have car counts in the 50s.
Four (4) 20-minute qualifying sessions total - one per day Monday - Thursday.
80 minutes of qualifying time.

Option C: 24 qualifying groups.
Four groups have multiple classes.
Four (4) 15-minute qualifying sessions total - one per day Monday through Thursday.
60 minutes of qualifying time.

There really wasn't much on run groups, but I voted NO for missing a day. Most people are going travel lots of miles, to be idle one full day? No thanks

racer_tim":f30rgekc said:
There really wasn't much on run groups, but I voted NO for missing a day. Most people are going travel lots of miles, to be idle one full day? No thanks

We did this at RA a few a years ago. I liked it. You have a day off so you can watch some sessions, work in the car, help out a colleague, go sightseeing.......you name it.

I don't like 15 minute sessions so I voted for B. 15 minutes only allows for a handful of laps and a FCY or BFA could screw it all up. I'm assuming we'll be paired up like we have been the last few years.....FP and HP, EP and GTL.

Dayle

I haven't looked through the survey yet, but I suppose they don't tell you which classes end up in combined groups between the various options, huh? Because if FP is going to be combined with HP no matter which option happens (as has been the case at every Runoffs for quite some time now), I'm picking Option B every time. But if FP is only in that combined group if Option B happens, but is in its own group of Option A or C happens, then I'm all in on A or C!

Since rain is always a possibility at Mid-O, I chose C - 4 qualifying sessions on 4 days, with smaller groups for more room on track

Agreed - huge chance of rain in September in the Ohio Valley, so I vote for 4 day option. We have 50+ cars on track at majors and seldom is traffic an issue in every qualifying session. 4 days = higher chance of dry session, and higher chance of having "clean lap" session.

I like being on the track longer because I tend to get faster with more laps per session. I still voted for C because the chances of having a single class increases, if two classes are on track there is less time for mingling, I still have three days to qualify if I have a problem one day, more opportunities to get the car dialed in and more chances of have a dry track session.

Back