2015 Prod Fest at VIR – October 17-18

Rick Starkweather

The NC Region Board met a couple of weeks ago and we are a go for the Prod Fest again this year! I am struggling to fill Mark and Barrie's shoes, but things are starting to come together. I'll post the proposed run group over the weekend, but we will again have a Saturday and a Sunday race with Sunday being the official "Prod Fest".

We have a couple of "almost final" ideas for the T-shirts, medals already in hand, and a whoopee pie supplier lined up. I am also starting to think through the Saturday evening party, but will definitely need some extra hands (read cooks) here! Any volunteers?

Lastly, I am not sure how far we'll get on goodie bags and the other wonderful extras that Barrie was able to pull together but we'll try to continue to make this a fun event for all.

Rick

Really wanted to attend this year, but unfortunately, the car is parked for repairs... keep it going, it's definitely on my list for the next non-runoffs season of mine!

I think its great that you are continuing with the Prodfest as I've run in most of them. I would love to come to this years but after Daytona my season will be coming to an end as I'll be out 4 to 6 months for medical issues. My body will be getting a tune up instead of the car. Good luck to everyone running it this year as I hope to be back next year. Again, thanks Rick.
Kevin Leigh

I think it is great that folks work on the off track activities in this area.
As a recent transplant from the Northern Ohio area I am anxious to meet more of you folks.
Just traded an ITR Mustang for an IT7 RX7, back to a type of car I drove for many years.
Wondering if I should make this race in that car or go to the event in late October at Road Atlanta?

Bob Roberts

Bob:

Goblins Go "Double Double" weekend is usually well attended. And we might just let an IT driver join us for food and drink Saturday evening to help you meet other people!

Come join us.

Rick

As many of you know, I will be trying to fill Mark and Barrie's shoes to keep the Prod Fest going. As was the case last year, it will be a double SARRC weekend with two prod/GTL races. Sunday will be the actual "Prod Fest" Race with the usual awards. We are Group 5 SARRC both days.

Also, Prod Fest registration is now open!

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/go ... f2KhOlDKhJ

We already have 3 registered for Saturday and Sunday!

Design for the T-shirts for this year (on gray shirts) is below. Please let me know if any names are not spelled correctly.

I'm working on final pricing and will send a follow-up email next week, but for reference, the prices last year were (and we should be close this year):
Short sleeve T - $17 (S-XL), $19 (XXL) and $20 (3X)
Long sleeve T - $20 (S-XL), $22 (XXL) and $23 (3X)

Let me know which type of shirt, quantities and sizes you are interested in.

I am also looking for sponsors for the podium shirts again this year. Sponsorship will be $60 for each class. Let me know if you are interested in helping out. EP and GTL are already sponsored! Thanks to Randy Carter and John Hewell.

Please also remember to give me any nominees for the PLN Award.

Rick

So the Runoffs are now history. Some great races for sure at a historic venue.
Now it's almost time for another great SCCA tradition – the Prod Fest!

We are only up to to 6 registrants so far on Group 5… I think I talked Mike Unger into running his old CP 240Z in SPU as well (he was up at VIR this weekend running in the SVRA Gold Cup.

We need more folks to step and join us!

Hope to see more of you soon at VIR.

Rick

Last call for Prod Fest T Shirts! Final design for the T-shirts for this year (on gray shirts) is attached.

Thank to all of you who have already ordered. The shirts will be ready by October 16th, for pick up at VIR or I will mail them out the following week.

I MUST have any remaining pre-orders by end of day tomorrow, Oct. 5th.

I will have a few extras at the track for sale, but not many. Prices for shirts are almost exactly the same as last year (without shipping):

Short sleeve T - $17 (S-XL), $19 (2XL-5XL)
Long sleeve T - $21 (S-XL), $23 (2XL-5XL)
Ladies short sleeve T - $17 (XS-3XL)

Let me know which type of shirt, quantities and sizes. Shipping will probably be about $6.00 for a single shirt, more for additional shirts. Once I get ready to ship after Prod Fest, I can get your zip code and give you the exact amount. If you are going to pick up at Prod Fest, then obviously no shipping is needed.

Payments can be sent to me at:
Rick Starkweather
3120 Cranesbill Drive
Raleigh, NC 27613

OR via PayPal to:
rstarkweather (at) scottmadden.com but please put PF in the notes AND check "Gift" so that we do not incur fees.

or of course, you can pay at Prod Fest, although as with Barrie I have to pay for everything up front, so any $ I can get earlier is great!

Rick

14 cars in the Prod Fest group! We need a few more!!!

HP field looks solid., Only 2 in EP, and just Luke Bittenbinder in FP. Anyone have a car they can loan or rent to me???

Rick

Almost up to 20 entries…

An important reminder - there are TWO Prod/GTL/SPU only races at Goblins' Go. One on Saturday and one on Sunday.
The SUNDAY race is the "official" Prod Fest race with the special Prod Fest awards. The regular SCCA/NCR awards will, of course, be given for both races.
The only reason I mention this is because there are a few different drivers signed up for the Saturday race than the Sunday race, which is fine (they may want to leave early). But I just wanted to remind people that the "official" Prod Fest race is Group 4 on SUNDAY. If you know these folks, please let them know.

Rick

Many thanks to Rick Starkweather and all his helpers for putting on a top notch Prodfest Party! Great food! Don't miss it if he puts it on again next year. If I can help next year let me know.

John Hewell

#29 GLT/HP Spridget

Once again a great event....

If anyone wants a Accel ignition coil I have 2, that I can sell really cheap. Little tech advice, if your using a MSD spark box, use a MSD coil.

Also when making a custom transmission mount, to adapt a different trans, don't attach it to the trans with just one bolt. Make the bracket to attach at least 2 bolts, this is critical if the clutch cable is also secured to that mount...

I do want to thank all the faster H prod guys that didn't make it this year, somehow I finished 3rd!

Thank you Rick for keeping the Prod Fest going. Our group thought those hamburgers were fantastic. You also did a great job with the weather BUT maybe work a little on the temperature. If you do it again and need help with anything don't hesitate to call us. Those who couldn't make it missed some good racing.
Thanks again,
The Hanover Hondasports and Flamingo Racing crowd.

Apologies for the tardy post with RESULTS!!! First the Saturday race…

EP – 1st – Miner Wilcox
EP – 2nd – Randy Carter
EP – 3rd – Allen Mitchell

FP – 1st – Keith Church
FP – 2nd – Mike Miller
FP – 3rd – James Scurria

GTL – 1st – John Hewell
GTL – 2nd – Graham Fuller

HP –1st – Sam Moore
HP – 2nd – Frank Jones
HP – 3rd – Drew Strickland

And now Sunday (the official Prod Fest):

EP – 1st – Miner Wilcox
EP – 2nd – Randy Carter
EP – 3rd – Mike Cooke

FP – 1st – Keith Church
FP – 2nd – Mike Miller
FP – 3rd – Bill Foster

GTL – 1st – John Hewell
GTL – 2nd – Graham Fuller

HP –1st – Sam Moore
HP – 2nd – Cason Kirkland
HP – 3rd – Ted Heinritz

The "other" results:

Smoking Loon award – James Scurria did his best to keep the mosquitos under control for us. And this in a FIAT versus the more traditional award winning BMC products

The Crusher – Ted Heinritz (ask Ted or Randy about this one)

Hard Luck award – Mike Unger WAS in SPU but in an ex-CP Datsun 240Z. From 3rd overall to on fire 4 laps in.

Red Vines "1" award – Miner Wilcox in a VERY close race with Randy Carter who turned fastest lap of the race

Rick

My heartfelt thanks also to the WORKERS, without whom the weekend would not be possible.

Eric Danielsen and his fellow workers gave the "Workers' Choice" award this year to Mike Unger in his 240Z.

Rick

Lastly, from me…

THANK YOU to all of the drivers who participated this year, and to all of the rest of you who contributed monetarily and otherwise to make this a great weekend. I've still got some room to go to fill Mark and Barrie's shoes, but I thought it was a good first solo effort!

Can't wait until next year! Yes, there will be a Prod Fest next year. We already have some of the awards on hand, and even have the t-shirt design. So stay tuned! I heard something from Anna Crissman (F&C Chief) late Saturday night about a possible participant next year that will be amazing if we can pull it off.

Rick

Back