2013 Prod Fest is ON and preparations are beginning.

Would you be interested in a separate Prod Fest race, apart from the SARRC race???

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Mark Coffin

The preparations for the 2013 Prod Fest are underway and I'm in contact with the NC Region Board regarding the schedule for the 2013 Prod Fest. Here is the e-mail i just received from one of the board members, in response to a discussion that occurred during the weekend at VIR:

Thanks for the reminder Mark C. I passed this along to Rex for us to discuss and then present to the Board. We may need some feedback from the Prod folks on options but I’ll get back with you on that. One of those will probably be “if we run a Prod race and a separate SARRC race, how many folks will do both?”. I’m assuming not many of the Prod drivers are interested in SARRC points but they may want to get in 2 races anyway since they’re already there. Also, for the Prod race, I’m assuming they would like 45 min. Would they be willing to pay a little extra for that and would they prefer the race be on Saturday or Sunday. From what I recall, Sunday was preferable so folks would have Saturday evening to “fix stuff” before the race J

Thanks, Mark Sr.

The Board has brought up the idea of a separate, longer non-SARRC race for the Prod Fest. Here are the initial particulars:

1. The Prod Fest race would be a separate race from the SARRC series, so it would have its own qualifying session and race. This would mean a separate sanction number, but the Board members have told me that it's not a big deal.

2. If we did this, now the length of the race could be longer than a normal SARRC race (30 miles by rule), so we (the participants) would have to decide how long we want it to be. Right now it's 10 laps (32.7 miles). A national race at VIR is 14 laps (45.8 miles) but we can choose how long we want it to be. 45 miles (14 laps), 45 minutes (probably 20 laps or 65 miles), or something in between. I'd recommend a 45 mile race since most Prod cars are built for national racing and not enduros. :wink:

3. When during the day that the race occurs on the schedule. If we had our own separate race (non-SARRC) the obvious choice is after lunch on Sunday. This means a later start home for those coming from farther away. The upside of this is that it is usually warmer after lunch and the track temps would be more favorable.

4. The cost of the separate Prod Fest race might be a little bit more than the SARRC regional entry fees, so that is part of the equation as well. IS this acceptable?

IF we did this, all the Prod Fest racers would have the option of running the SARRC race as well, although it would likely be part of a run group that included SRF, or IT cars. But this would double your track time during the weekend, if you decided to run the SARRC race AND the Prod Fest race. We could always lobby for a split start in the SARRC race if necessary. And with the speed of the front runners in Prod, it's very likely a split start would result in the Prod cars in the lead pack.

So what say ye?

We have a good working relationship with the NC Region Board, and I'm willing to go to bat for the Prod racers if we want our own, longer race. Plus this might entice more Prod racers if we had the opportunity to double the track time for the weekend.

Let's hear your thoughts!

Mark

Jay R. Creel":2tz4ghig said:
MC,

What was the 2012 entry fee? and the proposed entry fee for the separate race in 2013?

It was $185 for the SARRC race this year.

Unsure of the proposed entry fee for the separate race, we're still in initial preparations. if I have a potential head count (20, 30, 40 cars) then that will affect the entry fee. So VOTE in the poll if you would attend if there was a separate Prod Fest race. :bananahead:

Thanks!

Mark

I voted and I think it is a great enticement.

With the way things are going and my reentry into the sport I think MARRS and the PRODFEST seem to be where the "fun" would be.

That is a great entry fee (SARRC) and if the PROD race is 50 more it would still be a good deal, and if there is a discount for the second race that would be a win-win!!!

I put my vote in too. That would make the long trip a little bit better. I don't want an enduro type race. Just another sprint race separate. There was talk of a longer one. None of that refueling business for me. I'm sure Dave Ellenwood feels the same. We'd be coming together.

kevin leigh":1c2oxpeh said:
Great job on the 2012 Prodfest. My preference is a single race but make it 14 laps like the National race is.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the props.

Unfortunately, we can't change the length of the SARRC race; that is set by the SARRC rules committee. The SARRC race will be held as part of the weekend.

So the real question boils down to this:

A) We keep things as is. The Prod Fest race is the SARRC race, 10 laps.

or

B) Add another separate race, which would be the Prod Fest race. This would have its own qualifying session as well. This race could be any length we want (10 laps, 14 laps, 20 laps, etc).

With option B) drivers could choose run the SARRC race only, the Prod Fest race only, or BOTH (for an additional race entry fee of course).

I don't really see a downside with option B. If you only want to run one race during the weekend, you can. It just gives the opportunity for Prod Fest drivers to get more track time during the weekend.

We've had lots of request for more track time from the guys coming from farther away, and this would help justify the long tow to VIR.

Thanks!

Mark

We would definitely be interested in all the track time we can get while we are there. This will be a pretty long tow for us (6.5 hours) and the more we get to race, the happier we'll be.

Thanks again, Mark, for working on this. This will be the "climax" of our first season in HP and it's exciting to be talking about it already.

Mark, the SARRC rules state that the race must be a minimum of 30 miles or 30 minutes, which ever comes first. The race can be longer than 30 miles or longer than 30 minutes. A National length race for the Prodfest would be just fine.

Looking at the schedule, it looks like there will an extra 45 minutes next year on Sat since the F1000 race was a bust. Do a 15 lap ProdFest on Sat and then the regular SARRC on Sunday.

And if you want to try the NEDiv Bonus National concept, ask the SARRC Committee to approve both races as SARRC points. Then, each other Region could pick a different group of classes to have a Bonus race. NEDiv did it in 2011 & 2012 for National races. That might attract a few more entries especially those wanting extra SARRC points.

Mark

I voted for having 2 races and it really makes since if you stop and think about it. This way the folks that are running for SARRC points can have a better chance of assurance of folks double dipping waiving their points.

If the SARRC committee would entertain the idea of making both races points races then that would be even better for the SEDIV regional drivers.

What Jim and Les said! A double SARRC with one being the longer Prodfest race would be great. Would answer the track time issue and still give a dedicated special Prodfest race.

Joe Downer
Charlotte, N.C.

FP Racer":25z9iro5 said:
Mark, the SARRC rules state that the race must be a minimum of 30 miles or 30 minutes, which ever comes first. The race can be longer than 30 miles or longer than 30 minutes. A National length race for the Prodfest would be just fine.

Looking at the schedule, it looks like there will an extra 45 minutes next year on Sat since the F1000 race was a bust. Do a 15 lap ProdFest on Sat and then the regular SARRC on Sunday.

And if you want to try the NEDiv Bonus National concept, ask the SARRC Committee to approve both races as SARRC points. Then, each other Region could pick a different group of classes to have a Bonus race. NEDiv did it in 2011 & 2012 for National races. That might attract a few more entries especially those wanting extra SARRC points.

Thanks for the input Jim. I was under the impression that if you offered a "double" SARRC event, you had to offer it to ALL SARRC classes, not just one race group. Am I incorrect?

Mark

Mark, you are correct. It would take a rule change/waiver from the SARRC Committee. As I said, NEDiv did this one race bonus for the past two years and for some of their races, it really boosted entries.

If you are interested, I will put this on the agenda for the Jekyll Island SARRC Committee meeting. You may also want to speak with the NCR SARRC representative, Blair Stitt, so he is on board.

Personally, I think it is a win/win for all. The drivers get an extra points race and the region gets extra entries. A one group sanction # is only $50.

And the timing is perfect since the next Prodfest will be a 2014 SARRC race.

This is exactly what more SCCA regions need to be doing. It's a great example of thinking outside the box to improve the quality and fun factor of our races. Good job, Mark and Barrie.

FP Racer":22q5osk5 said:
Mark, you are correct. It would take a rule change/waiver from the SARRC Committee. As I said, NEDiv did this one race bonus for the past two years and for some of their races, it really boosted entries.

If you are interested, I will put this on the agenda for the Jekyll Island SARRC Committee meeting. You may also want to speak with the NCR SARRC representative, Blair Stitt, so he is on board.

Personally, I think it is a win/win for all. The drivers get an extra points race and the region gets extra entries. A one group sanction # is only $50.

And the timing is perfect since the next Prodfest will be a 2014 SARRC race.

This is exactly what more SCCA regions need to be doing. It's a great example of thinking outside the box to improve the quality and fun factor of our races. Good job, Mark and Barrie.

Thanks Jim! I'll get in touch with Blair as well.

MC

I asked Barrie if we had two races during the weekend, would she double the whoopie pies too?

She said NO. :beat:

MC

ok. This idea is waaay off base and probably would lead to nothing more than personality clashes but....

What about a historic/vintage rungroup/race as an extra group. Limit to former Prod (and b/c/d Sedan since we hav GTL) cars.

I am not suggesting that all are on track at same time, but as a seperate group.

A festival celebrating the past and present of the Production classification.

With everything else going on that weekend, though, there is probably not enough time to do it right.

Greg Nagy":1q7noyqa said:
ok. This idea is waaay off base and probably would lead to nothing more than personality clashes but....

What about a historic/vintage rungroup/race as an extra group. Limit to former Prod (and b/c/d Sedan since we hav GTL) cars.

I am not suggesting that all are on track at same time, but as a seperate group.

A festival celebrating the past and present of the Production classification.

With everything else going on that weekend, though, there is probably not enough time to do it right.

Greg,

That would be certainly neat. If you want to spearhead and coordinate/organize that group get in touch with me. I'll point you in the right direction. 8)

Mark

Back