2012 Runoffs Schedule now posted

I'm not thrilled with the schedule. 4 hours between EP qualifying on Wednesday. Thursday 3:05 qualifying and Saturday 12:35 Race. All sessions combined with GTL. Need to be there on Tuesday if I want to go to the welcome party. It will be interesting trying to get paddocked with my 60' long rig if I don't arrive early. Can you tell why I'm not thrilled with this schedule?

If the EP/GTL group is the biggest multi-class group that starts on Wednesday, it'll get a split session for Q2 at the end of the day.

As the supps suggest, if you plan to arrive late or leave earlier, please pick your paddock spots accordingly. Planning a mid-row spot and a Tuesday or Wednesday arrival is probably not going to work out well. There are lots of good spots, but everyone needs to do a little planning ahead and not just b***h about it when you arrive (not at all directed at you Don, but a general statement).

It's now actually possible for me to attend, and only take one week of vacation.

Thanks to all involved.

Eric,

Help me with the thinking on paddock spots. If the idea is that most people wanted the short schedule and intend to not be there all the time (otherwise why are we doing this), how could there possibly be enough spots for late arrivals or early departures? Seems like this needs some coordination or we're going to have trucks and trailers blocking roads all over the place while cars are trying to grid, etc.

Bobby-
As the supps state, part of the parking reservation process will be indicating when you plan to arrive and depart. RA (who coordinates the parking) may need to adjust things accordingly to minimize the risk of what you are talking about. Also, once the event starts, there may need to be designated times that rigs can come in. Leaving could also be an issue, but frankly, we've had people leaving from Friday - on for years.

Some locations are more difficult than others. I don't think that anyone thinks that it won't be a bit challenging, but RA feels confident they can handle it and everyone needs to work together a bit in the process.

Eric

Eric,
If history is any indication EP will be one of the largest groups.
If the second session is split, will we get a full session or will the time be cut in half as has previously been done?

I like the new schedule, now I only have to take three days off from work instead of a full week.

As for parking... I (tentatively)plan on arriving Wed. afternoon so if they have to park me outside next to registration... so be it. It wouldn't be the worst place I ever paddocked.

Well, it will surely make running the same car in EP and GT3 with motor swaps quite the challenge. But, I don't expect to have a competitive GT3 package this year anyway so 1 Qual and a Race is what it would be if I can do it.

michael heintzman":ovx2hkhe said:
Well, it will surely make running the same car in EP and GT3 with motor swaps quite the challenge. But, I don't expect to have a competitive GT3 package this year anyway so 1 Qual and a Race is what it would be if I can do it.

Michael all you need to do is pray for rain on Friday. :D

James

Wow, :eek: I was really hoping for something different for HP! I'm really surprised they scheduled that race when they did, seeing as they ran that race group early Sunday AM last year also. Either I will be gone for over two weekends or I may not be going (again) this year.

There is no way in Hell I'm going to run that race at that track without being able to get some track time beforehand. Be it a race weekend before (1350 mile tow I doubt I'll be doing twice in the same year) or a test day.

Jay,
I'm guessing that since they have nothing scheduled on Monday, that it is probably available as a paid test day.
That would give you the preceeding Sat/Sun as a travel day.

With the revised schedule...I'm thinking I might don a set of worker whites for the first day 8)

So what day looks the best for the Prod Party?
Looks like they moved up the worker awards party night, so our tradition of handing out the donations will be less convenient...

Wednesday looks like a good bet, other than FP & HP will just be coming off the track so we might have a later start...

I noticed they now have the track open to allow drivers to walk the track on Tuesday morning before any of the sesions starts. :applause:

For what its worth, I didn't find the combination of GTL and EP qualifying to be an issue last year. Before the event I wasn't too happy about the combo, but in reality it turned out to be a non issue (for me).

I will say that I've been an advocate of a compressed runoffs schedule and that this is a classic case of be careful what you ask for, you might get it. I appreciate the folks who made an effort here, but I'm not sure what it accomplished at the end of the day (for me). I still think that dividing the event into two fully separate three or four day events is the way to go. Put the open wheel and SR guys together in one and closed wheel cars in the other. I don't think there's much cross over between the two groups. I'd also advocate that the events be at separate tracks and alternate venues.

-Kyle

Greg Gauper":3q767gdv said:
So what day looks the best for the Prod Party? Looks like they moved up the worker awards party night, so our tradition of handing out the donations will be less convenient...

Wednesday looks like a good bet, other than FP & HP will just be coming off the track so we might have a later start.....

I was also wondering how this would affect the Prod Party. Wednesday would be OK as I'm sure we'll get some EP and GTL minions to help out. ;-)

As for the handing out the cash....how about we stroll through the track and corner stations and make it rain, baby. I can see it now....hello tech guy....here's $50.....hi blue flagger at T5.....here's $50. How cool would that be!

Dayle

Forgot all about the Prod Party. Even if I don't come, I know that MSR Houston will have a number of members competing. If we have a good number of entrants from here, I'll buy team paddock again and Sydney will have to host without me as I still am not planning on going.

James Rogerson
Gone to vintage with the grandsons.

Don Walsh":20cfmuhk said:
Eric,
If history is any indication EP will be one of the largest groups.
If the second session is split, will we get a full session or will the time be cut in half as has previously been done?

Don, the "*" session at the end of the day is a full session, so it would be one 30 minute session for Q2 for each class. EP/GTL has a very good opportunity here if recent history is any indication.

Doesn't Thursday look better for Prod Party? There is no "Special Party" i.e. Worker of the Year that night and EP might get the 5:15 Qualifing time Tuesday. FP/HP will finish earlier on Thursday.
Also interesting that those racing Sunday don't have a chance at "Higest Number" deticated qualifing. Not so sure a prod group other than E might not make it, at least based on Atlanta and Memphis. 8 H cars in Atlanta and the I think the largest qroup with 7 in Memphis, Only 2 or 3 SM! Seriously, why not make that availabe to all. Guess that's why Sunday groups were selected or maybe they are the largest specator draws.

Back