2011 Runoffs Time Cards and Trap Speeds

In looking at my speeds and watching my video, I would say that it ends somewhere around the 3.5 marker. I only say that because my top speeds were lower the last few laps and the only thing different in my data is that I backed up my brake zone from the 2.5 or so mark to the 3.5 mark.

So, if you aren't going deeper than the 3.5, you may be off the gas/on the brake in the zone.

Thanks Eric. That explains it.

Is this because of some permanent location of a track owned wire, or did we pick this location?

-Kyle

The transponder loops at RA were installed several years ago by Cart. There are a lot more loops than we use, but activating them (meaning, setting up transmitters to get the info to T&S) is not something we can ask mylaps to do - we're very fortunate that they have been willing to do as much as they have. I will have to go look up the details on the location of the pair of loops that make up the trap, but my very untrustworthy memory says something like 400 feet from the apex of T5 (I can't look for the info tonight, but I'll try to do it when I get back from the NEDIV Minicon).

Dave

I believe the trap is somewhere right before the 5 marker. I just can't see a GT1 car doing 174 mph down by the 3 marker no matter how good he is. If you watch GT1, they tend to brake right around the 5 marker and if you look at their speeds they are super inconsistant like some are already braking and some are not. In the past that's where it has been.

We had this discussion last year and I thought I remembered that it was before the brake markers so that all classes would have relatively meaningful data. I'll ask a friend who was one of the T&S chiefs.

Dayle

Mike Lewis said the good GT1 cars go past the 3 before braking. That takes some big ones! That explains the huge disparity between the fast guys and the other guys.

Update From Road America: The first loop of the trap is approx 50' before the #5 marker. The second loop is about 75' after the #5 marker, which puts it 25' before the #4. The trap is 120' long.

msturminator":3u8a5y3m said:
Someone in EProd removed the trap speed from the chart. I wonder why???????? :ask:
#48 EP
Mike
Just what are you smoking? All the trap speed data is there for all sessions for EP. Or are you just trying to yank a certain EP driver's chain?

Now, to answer the question of where the timing loops for the T5 trap are.

The loops were installed for Cart several years ago. The information we have from their own map of RA is that the T5 loops are 1447 inches apart - that's just over 120 feet. The second of those loops is just about 750 feet from the apex of T5, but that data is not from the Cart map.

Here's how I determined the 750 feet. If you have Google Earth, fly to "Road America". You will get several choices. Choose "Road America Inc" - double click and you will be taken to the track. Move around and zoom in so that you are near T5. Use the ruler tool to measure about 750 upstream from T5. If you look carefully at the image, you will see two faint lines across the track 120 feet apart. Those are the timing loops. If you are very careful with the ruler tool (and set the units to inches), you should be right around 1447 inches from loop to loop. That verifies that the 750 feet from the second loop to the corner is a good estimate.

Dave

At the bottom of the sheet you can tab over to each qual session. My speeds only came up for one session. I was told it was because I have a weak transponder signal. My transponder is certainly not in the best place but usually it works. Anyway, the trap speed data is sent wireless so you have to have a well placed transponder for it to work right.

Getting rather testy Dave. :snooty: Someone else agreed with me also, including Jesse had a comment why. Only commenting on what I saw when I pulled up the EP race results. Great information to have and thanks to whoever is collecting the data.

Mike

msturminator":zz50da4i said:
Getting rather testy Dave. :snooty: Someone else agreed with me also, including Jesse had a comment why. Only commenting on what I saw when I pulled up the EP race results. Great information to have and thanks to whoever is collecting the data.

Mike
Sorry, I misunderstood you to mean all the EP trap speeds were missing (missed the #48). And, yes, Jesse's info is missing because the loops weren't picking up his transponder. (A few others had the same problem from time to time during the week. In some cases, where only lap times were shown, it means the alternate timing system (lights) were used to get the data.)

The decoders/transmitters at the loops were set up by the mylaps folks (Bill Skibbe, specifically) and the data was gathered in T&S. It took a while for them to get the data to me and then I stuffed it into Excel for formatting and for calculating the trap speeds from the trap time.

Dave

Back