2011 National schedules

that's fair....i could see how it looks like i'm against any and all events at MPH....period. but i'm not.

what i'm against anything other than a reduction in the number of race weekends in our division. until we get down to a reasonable number (7?), i'll be opposed to events at MPH. i'll also be opposed to adding another weekend at HPT, or MAM, or anywhere else. i doubt i'll ever personally attend a race at Hastings, but if we cut the schedule down from the 14 or whatever number of available weekends to a regional racer to 7....i may not have a choice and i'll HAVE to go if i want to race at all (see how that works?)..

while your suggestion for "6 tracks, 6 weekends" isn't exactly how i'd do it if i were king, i'd support that idea because it at least is directionally correct?
So if i understand you:

1. Races weekends should be reduced to 7; 6 nationals. Makes it hard to get in 7 races for national points championship without long travel out of region and if in the southeast area of divison it's all long travel. Also gets nasty when you have other obligations on one weekends and have a problem with another race or maybe two.

2. You won't go to Hastings unless you "HAVE to" so they should not have races. Does that apply to St. Louis and Memphis also? Why do we need to reduce the number of races "available to regional racers"; to he;p the regions or the racers? We need more Nationals; we already have more than twice the number of R vs. N. Can you say Rationals? Why not double Rationals like SE? I can go to two weekends in Texas and get four races with less travel than any two weekends in MiDiv. I know it doesn't help the divisions but it sure helps the racers. Then again going to Texas doesn't help the MiDiv regions anyway.

3. So if St. Louis and/or Memphis come back to life you'd be in favor of taking one or two from MAM, HPT or HMRC to allow races there because we need "a reduction in the number of race weekends"? Given the geographic diversity of the division that would only be fair as otherwise they are all located in the western, and mainly north western states. I'm sure St. Louis will be in favor of that as I understand they are working hard to try to continue to have races and I know Memphis will appreciate your surport as they haven't given up either.

Also, why is Nashville Speedway on the MiDiv calendar as a track? I thought it was in the SE Division. is St. Louis looking at it? I knwo Memphis held a race there but it was in conjunction with SE.

A few years ago, they had a Sarrc-MidDiv Challenge race at NSS. I think it was the very first race that was at NSS or the second one.

Dayle Frame":3mq3b8tg said:
I was at the GLDiv Round table meeting yesterday and we came up with this schedule:

5/28-5/30; Grattan (D)
6/10-6/12; MidO (D)
7/2, 7/3; Nelson Ledges
7/9, 7/10; GingerMan

CenDiv and SEDiv have published theirs. Anyone from NEDiv or MiDiv know what those will look like? I heard that Gateway is closing. Is that true?

http://www.cendiv-scca.org/03racing/01s ... s%20v1.pdf
http://www.sedivracing.org/2011Schedule.pdf

Email or PM me with any info you may have. TIA

Dayle

Hey Dayle, why don't you edit this first post with a compiled list of all the dates posted so far? 8)

Rob":x35smcme said:
If you live in St Louis the tracks that seem to be talked about (and a few that aren't mentioned regularly) seem to be;
ORP - 243 miles
Memphis - 285 miles
Topeka - 310 miles
Nashville - 310 miles
Iowa Speedway - 337 miles
Hallett - 430 miles
Elkhart - 435 miles
MAM - 435 miles
Barber - 519 miles
Hastings - 548 miles
Brainerd - 692 miles

Hopefully someone can resurrect St Louis, and maybe even Memphis.

Let's add some data to this list.

Autobahn Joliet: 250
Blackhawk Farms: 305
GingerMan Raceway: 390
Grattan Raceway: 465

All four of these tracks will have SCCA events next summer and have a lot to offer. If you live in the STL area, consider coming up to CenDiv or GLDiv for your OOD events.

As to Jason's request for an update, go to this link for updated divisional schedule for NEDiv, SEDiv, CenDiv, MidDiv and GLDiv.

http://www.greatlakes-scca.org/node/92

Dayle

Dayle,

I'm hoping to do Gingerman this year in my newish (new to me) T2 car. I have cold turkeyd the Porsche crack habit.

Might do gratten, but I want to do Rolling Thunder in DC and they conflict. I've been in some big rides, but RT gets 40,000 bikes and makes all the hippies cry.

Anyone from the St Louis area that wants a good bang for your buck, do Gingerman, then a week later as part of the same pull do Autobahn. Michigan has some great vacation areas, and I'm sure that you can leave your rigs there while you vacation.

I missed that the first Atlanta is a Double N! The SE Div site and Atlanta's still show Atlanta also for a single N on May 21-22. Is this still on? I thought a region could only have 2 nationals.

A Region can hold 2 National events. A Double National is considered an event. At least, that is how I now interpret the GCR call on this.

Thus, SEDiv will be conducting 4 Double Nationals, two singles and a Rational. Just for fun, I look at attendance at Doubles in SEDiv vs the singles. For the doubles in 2010, we averaged 210 cars per race. For the singles, we averaged 99. Clear why Atlanta is conducting a Double.

Personally, I think Double Nationals are win/ win. The Region conducts two races with reduced expenses. Entry numbers are higher and so is income. On the driver side, you get two races for one tow, usually one less night hotel and better competition.

The jury is still out on Rationals. I think in certain Divisions combining a regional and a national will help reduce costs and increase competition. The one draw back I see is having National drivers and Regional drivers on the track at the same time. Given, most Regional drivers are equal to National drivers. However, there exists the possibility for someone to come out of a school and run one of these races. In that case, I would definitely require some kind of a rookie stripe, etc.

I would hope that Regions start to use the tools that are available to conduct better events. If you look at the SEDiv calendar, you can see the result of having good race programs and active Division race series. We race almost year round excluding December. Our current schedule only has 11 weekends where there are no events scheduled. Many weekends have multi events. A few years ago, we had over 600 drivers race at two different races on Labor Day. Both races were Double Regionals, thus 1200 entries. In 2010, our National series and SARRC series had entries totally more than 5100. All of our series race Champions in each class receive jackets, plaques, gear bags, shirts, patches, decals and free dinners at the Awards banquet. All of this is bought through our various trophy funds. Last year, we had 65 drivers attend the awards banquet where they received all their awards in front of the more than 300 people in attendance.

FP Racer":19kyaaz2 said:
The one draw back I see is having National drivers and Regional drivers on the track at the same time.
I used to have a real problem with the thought of combining regional drivers with national drivers but a couple things have changed over the years:

1) We don't have the luxury of restricting National races to National-only drivers because we need others to help pay the bill
2) The talent pool has been diminished to the point where some supposedly national drivers are as dangerous to be on the track with as any regional racer could ever think to be.

So, end result, bring them on. Whoever will help pay the freight are welcome, otherwise we won't have a national racing program in some parts of the country.

Ron, I figured out how to ID myself. No more hiding.

The point you make about the Rational being a good tool for paying the bills is absolutely correct. It was becoming almost financially impossible for some Regions to conduct either a stand alone Regional or National. For some, a Regional/National was also not the answer. Just not enough time to hold both events and drivers just did not want to pay for a half weekend.

The Rational provides everyone with a full weekend of racing. The one we have scheduled in SEDiv is a Florida Region race at Palm Beach. The track rental there is high and due to this, the Region could not justify scheduling a National. However, with the Rational, they will be able to do it. It is not a done deal yet, but as the SARRC Administrator, I am going to recommend to the SARRC Committee that we waive our rule that SARRC races can not be conducted with National races. The SARRC sanction usually brings the Region right at 100 entries to Palm Beach. With the Rational rule that drivers must declare and enter either the Regional, the National or both in order to get points, I think Florida Region will find this a financial success.

Just looking in from the outside, I would think that Rationals would help in Mid West Division. I know Rocky Mountain Division was happy with the results of their races and plan to continue. I also heard Northern Pacific was going to use Rationals for their National races and that Southwest Division was considering them.

Of course, in Divisions where the race programs are strong, the separate Regionals and Nationals will stay the same. NEDiv, Central & SEDiv have strong programs and attendance. GLDiv & Southern Pacific Division both have some races that might benefit from a Rational. I hope that if a Region in your Division holds a Rational, you will go and support them.

Jim, what does a rational racing weekend schedule look like? Is it a full 3 day weekend? Do the regional racers pull in early for their length of race and the national racers just run more laps? How does that all work? Thanks for the info!

Jesse, I'm not sure I saw the schedule for either of the two Rationals they held in RMDiv this year. I received the results and both the regional results and the National results had all the drivers running the same number of laps. My understanding is that everyone is on the track, Regional race & National race, at the same time. When the drivers entered, they had the option of entering either the Regional, the National or both. The results then were based on which race they entered.

I think the RM races were both two day Double Nationals with 5 run groups. The Regional portion was a Rocky Mountain Div Regional Championship race. I think I remember that the BOD waived several things for this race. You can do a double national with less than the 45 minutes practice & qualifying per national, 70 minutes rather than 90. So, all you need is a 35 minute session and a National length race. With only 5 groups, that's easy to do.

I just looked at the Labor Day race and there were 10 Prod drivers. Maybe one of them will fill us in on details and how they liked or disliked it.

Jesse Prather":j0x7hl0l said:
Jim, what does a rational racing weekend schedule look like? Is it a full 3 day weekend? Do the regional racers pull in early for their length of race and the national racers just run more laps? How does that all work? Thanks for the info!

Here is the supps for the Sept 4-5, 2010 Rational at HPR. Groups and schedule is on page 6. It is a full two day weekend. Morning is a 15 minute practice followed by a 20 minute qualifying. All races are 40 minutes in length for both regional and national racers.

http://www.coloradoscca.org/posts/Supps ... 5B1%5D.pdf

I ran the Rational at Miller this year. Great idea and saved the Utah Region from taking a huge loss like they have in the past.

If you have ever run one of our (RMDIV) double Nationals there are only 2 changes.

1. As a National driver you put a neon green "N" on the back of your car. If you a Regional driver you put a neon red "R" on the back of your car.

2. You will see Regional cars (IT) on the track in your run group.

The races are National length, nobody has an early checker and pulls in early.

Or

It's like running a Regional, but the races are a few laps longer.

Jim is right, this will not work in every region. We run 5 (or sometimes 4) run groups. When you only have 6-8 SM or 4-6 big bore they get moved to small bore sometimes.

Great idea (big thanks to Joe Gilmore for getting this done) for regions with 100-150 cars.

Any other questions.

I have been talking with people with the NR and DMVR about converting the June 3-4 MAM races to a double rational. Some mixed responses. I personal think it is a great fit for both regions.

RonInSD":1vcjgpfm said:
I have been talking with people with the NR and DMVR about converting the June 3-4 MAM races to a double rational. Some mixed responses. I personal think it is a great fit for both regions.

Ron, count me in as a yes vote for this. Our division NEEDS a double national somewhere.

Regarding New England Region's Rational at New Hampshire Motor Speedway April 30/May 1.

Final details have not been worked out, but as of the last Regional CRB meeting (Nov. 26th) the intent is to schedule the event using National race groups, National practice/qualifying/race lengths and adding 2 run groups for non Nationally classed cars (IT, SSM, etc). The traditional NER National race group for small bore was to be kept with no Regional only classes added. (EP, FP, HP, GTL & STU). IMO, don't be surprised to see STL added to the group.

As I said, final details have not been worked out, but this is what was discussed at the Region's last CRB meeting.

Hi Dave

Without an LRP race, I am looking at the NHMS race, but am a bit concerned about what I think is a 100 decibel limit at NHMS (which is ridiculous considering NASCAR runs there). Has this been an issue, any way to get it back to 103?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Don

Sound at NHMS is 99Db. No chance of this changing. The track is monitored by the locals and the Region's hands are tied on this.

Sound control is on Driver's right, exiting turn 10. Many cars with rear exit exhaust have had success by added elbows and directing it to the opposite side.

I agree it sounds kind of silly being a NASCAR oval and all, but that is the way things have gotten. They even get complaints if cars are running before the morning start-up time.

The real irony is the complaints come for the newbies in town that came for the peaceful surroundings and then got rudely awakened by the sound of a NASCAR race going full tilt on a Sunday afternoon. Never asked about what else goes on in town to keep those tax rates looking good.

Its usually something big and nasty that keeps the property taxes low in small town USA.

Back