1986 VW Golf GTI, F Production

Matt87

1986 VW Golf GTI, F Production, 1.8L, 8V.
Engine has extensive block work: new pistons, cylinders bored out, etc. extensive head work: ported, larger valves, aggressive Techtonics 306 deg. CAM, CIS-E Jetronic Fuel Injection,  Autotech Electronic Fuel Enrichment Module, MSD Ignition, high output coil, adjustable CAM pulley, windage tray oil pan.

Autometer gauges and shift light.
Ground Control coil-over suspension.
Sway bars.
Carbotech brake pads.
Pelequin 020 limited slip differential, high speed 5th gear.
2 quart Accusump oil system.
Nicely built full roll cage.
Momo racing seat.
Momo steering wheel with quick release.
SPA AFFF fire suppression system.
ATL Fuel cell, Porsche fuel pump, Bosch filter. Fuel cell enclosed in double box to satisfy bulkhead rule.  All steel braided hose with AN fittings.
New water hoses and sending units.
Racing radiator.
Cooling fans.
Long acre wide-view rear mirror.
Side mirrors.
Fiberglass flaired fenders all.
Body lightened in many places.
VW shop manual.

20 rims
4 each 14" VW stock with Hankook Ventus 205/55ZR14 DOT slicks
4 each 14" VW stock with Toyo Proxes RA1 205/55R14 85V Rains
4 each 14" VW mesh with Hoosier R6 P205/55ZR14 treaded
4 each 13" Panasport 7-JJ X 13 with Goodyear Eagle R430, 20.0x- 9.5-13 slicks
4 each 13" Panasport 7-JJ X 13 with 3 Goodyear Eagle R475 & 1 R340, 20.0X-9.5-13 slicks
2 each Goodyear Eagle R430, 20.0X-9.5-13 slicks not mounted

Recently added:
New Schroth FIA 6-point belts.
New Schroth inside net.
New hood pins-front.
New improved seat mount structure welded in.
New, improved belt mounting points with side belt mounts welded to seat structure, floor and original seat slide brackets.
Adjustable Momo seat slide.
Fabricated and installed adjustable seat back support bracket.
Installed additional roll bar/cage padding.
Relocated fire system and Accusump controls.
Fabricated Fiberglass air intake scoop.
Built and installed new head light filler panels.
Added more air flow to radiator, air intake and oil cooler.
Added 3rd SPA Design fire system nozzle, T-fitting and line behind driver.
SCCA fuel sample device and AN fitting adapter.
Redid electrical ground system.
Improved door opening device.
Improved temp. Window retention.
SCCA required decals, fire, battery, tow plus jack, etc.
Remove before flight flag for fire system.
VW contingency decals.
Water wetter, new filter and synthetic oil.
Removed unnecessary brackets to reduce weight.
Inertia-activated fuel pump cut-off switch.
Installed much improved oil cooler with better air flow.

Other info:
-Car was former SW Division ITB champ.

Price-asking $6,995 for a quicker sale-I need to finish rebuilding 2 formula cars.

E-mail me at [email protected] or call 570.636.3623 Matt

Pictures:

b7174eb0.jpg

37eeec1d.jpg

80e61d45.jpg

eb2297ed.jpg

fb562836.jpg

9ec50b1e.jpg

cceb1890.jpg

c10183b5.jpg

Very nice looking car, but seems to be a updated ITB car, vs a scratch built car for F Prod.
Since it apparently is missing some important and permitted upgrades for a nationally competitive F Prod VW Golf, the asking price may be a bit over the top.
Things like rear disc brakes, something other than the stock Golf brake system, double adjustable coil over shocks, larger aluminum radiator, etc etc.
While it is hard to tell, it looks brand new, so it may not have been run in the F Prod configuration and fully tested and sorted out.
Maybe the seller will provide answers to these questions..

dryenko":2al4niqp said:
Very nice looking car, but seems to be a updated ITB car, vs a scratch built car for F Prod.
Since it apparently is missing some important and permitted upgrades for a nationally competitive F Prod VW Golf, the asking price may be a bit over the top.
Things like rear disc brakes, something other than the stock Golf brake system, double adjustable coil over shocks, larger aluminum radiator, etc etc.
While it is hard to tell, it looks brand new, so it may not have been run in the F Prod configuration and fully tested and sorted out.

Geez.....I hope you don't ever need to sell something on this site. How about you let the seller and interested buyers dictate what the price should? You may be taking money off his plate here.....and in this economy, one shouldn't mess with somebody else's deal. It's just inconsiderate and in poor form.

Dayle

dryenko":13vvh540 said:

Price aside, MARRS stickers means it is a regional car. So, though there is such thing as a nationally competitive regional car, that may not have been the purpose for this particular car.

Sorry Dayle, just stating some thoughts and looking for answers and / or claification, as a potential buyer should and would do...
You don't really think that this car, as presented will or should sell for $7000 , do you?
Especially considering the downward trend in Production racing, and the lack of serious support for same by the SCCA CRB and BOD ???
Heck, the latest Fast track has inklings of positioning us prod racers for futher consolidation, if you read between the lines..
Just sayin'
BC

dryenko":1m0dccyt said:
Sorry Dayle, just stating some thoughts and looking for answers and / or claification, as a potential buyer should and would do...
You don't really think that this car, as presented will or should sell for $7000 , do you?
Especially considering the downward trend in Production racing, and the lack of serious support for same by the SCCA CRB and BOD ???
Heck, the latest Fast track has inklings of positioning us prod racers for futher consolidation, if you read between the lines..
Just sayin'
BC

I don't know the first thing about VW's except they kick my ass on track. But you and I shouldn't be having a discussion about the price. That's for the seller and buyer only. If a potential buyer has questions, I would expect that he/she would reach out to other VW enthusiasts and ask the appropriate questions.

Your comments about consolidation and such have no bearing on pricing. Maybe this car is headed for MCSCC, WHRRI, NASA, vintage, etc. The CRBs support for prod cars may have no bearing on a potential sale.

Put the shoe on the other foot....how about I contact the folks who want to buy your house and suggest to them that it's over priced because it needs a roof? Not quite fair, huh? None of my business......and I would expect that a home buyer would hire an inspector to analyze the property.

I've said what I need to on this one......I'm out.

Dayle

To answer some questions for anyone interested:

Yes, the previous owner updated it from an ITB car. Car came from Florida as an ITB champ driven by a George May. I mistakenly listed SW division, it was in the SE.

It has rear disk brakes, a larger radiator and I installed a larger and much more efficient oil cooler with proper air box/ducting. It has ground control coil overs, not sure if double adjustable.

I appreciate Dayles comments. As far as the posted criticism, are you kidding me? Did you look at some of the prices asked for production cars?

I saw one without a drive train for $6,500. I have also seen $12,000, $16,000 and $25,000 asked. For anyone interested, I have receipts from the previous owner and myself that total over $30,000 spent on it. The car was being run and developed while the previous owner had an EP Mazda in the shop being built up. I don't think a starting price of $6,995 is out of line.

I didn't race it in FP and only did 2 time trials when I realized if it gets messed up in a road race I can't afford to put it back together right with 3 kids in college right now-the FV is more affordable for me. I want to sell it to somebody who can & wants to run production.

Reasonably priced car with real potential to win in FP. Dayle is right, this is not the place others to stick their noses where they don't belong. Good luck with sale.
Chuck Mathis

FV87,
Why FP instead of HP? A Golf is very competitive in HP. As for that car, I was involved in the original build for George May. It is a very well built car. I haven't seen it since it went up north several years ago, but it was a very nice and fast ITB car. I have had some one contact me about your car and that is why the question.
Thanks,
David

I agree. We looked at HP as being preferable also. The previous owner classed it as such. I know it has rear disc brakes and he had more extensive engine work done. I believe the compression is beyond HP spec. If someone wants to go to HP they would have to make the changes.

Thanks for the reply. The guy in Florida that you are emailing about the car is a customeer and friend of mine and I'm trying to help him with his decision. BTW, I gave him thumbs up.
Good luck with the sale,
David

Dayle, I agree with your sentiments, your comments and your position. Congratulations.

Dryenko is probably here representing the IRS, Obama or Obama care, and only wants to help us all...
Monday morning quarterback, unnecessary roughness, 100 yard penalty on the play. Or, Pseudo Racer 30 minute pit stop penalty.
- Your choice. My choice is both, for the next 3 races.

FV87, I like your car. It will sell, it is reasonably priced for today. It can't be built to your level of prep for less money. It is a tough market out there for selling a race car, house or expensive boat.

dryenko":ylmbx6id said:

Geez Bob,
Could you be more of a dick? Either compliment the seller on a nice car, or say nothing. :hand:

I would buy the car if I had the money.

cheers
dave parker

The Golf should go better in H than F. Just need the right head and cam it looks like. The frontal area and cost of 200hp needed for FP helps keep the car in HP. IMHO, MM

The May car was pretty fast in ITB. He and his kid runs Chump with us now, in a Mk 3 Golf.

Enjoy lookng at the cars for sale, this one's got potential as an HP.
Shouldn't give so much s$$$ to Bob as he's just tryin' to help.

Tim Pitts
11 HP Golf
11 STU Golf " like wrestling a bear"

our

Back