1984 to 1987 Honda CRX /Civic Struts

Darryl Saylor

What's everybody running if they can't find Yellow Konis for the '84 to '87 CRX/Civics? That's reasonably priced.
I'm going to run my CRX first before I do anything but trying to figure out what I need to look for and budget for.

I have run the Tein's for over 3 seasons with no issues. The downside of these shocks is that bump and rebound aren't adjustable independently. They are however extremely robust. Really hard to find the Koni's that used to be available and I don't know if you could find anybody to service them if you could.

Is there not an option for using a Koni race insert? I have done several sets of those for other strut cars.

I found a PDF file from Monroe that has a list of all their struts and shocks. For the '84 CRX DX, the fronts are 71795 and the rears are 71218. The Fronts housing is a B8 (see page 19). What I was wondering if I could use a Yellow Koni that had a B8 or B3 housing with a close specs to the CRX ones. I could cut off the mounting piece and use just the tube. That's all the CRX strut is, is the housing. The main thing the pdf doesn't show is the diameter of the strut housing. Also I wonder if valving is different.

http://www.monroe.com/retail/assets/downloads/english/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

I seem to remember Lee Grimes from Koni telling me they could put Koni guts into Tokico housings (and maybe some other brands too) for this particular application. See if you can get in touch with Lee at ITT Koni North America.

KeithG":2xmsgmy5 said:
I seem to remember Lee Grimes from Koni telling me they could put Koni guts into Tokico housings (and maybe some other brands too) for this particular application. See if you can get in touch with Lee at ITT Koni North America.

Lee's the man! Keep your eyes open for used yellows, Lee's guys can rebuild, shorten, make them double adjustable. Keep in mind they are very busy and turn around time is 3-4 months!

If you can find a set of the old red sport struts those can also be rebuilt to the Koni yellow specs, shortened and made D/A also. I sold an old set to a friend earlier this year and he had this done by the guys at ProParts in Cali. Same place that rebuilt mine a few years ago when I needed them done in a hurry.

+one to what Jay said. I bought his old Konis and had them rebuilt and shortened. They are a wonderful thing. ProParts service was excellent.

Back