1275 Heads

James Wiley

Can anyone tell me if there is a "most desirable? stock 1275 cylinder head for limited prep? I've looked at Vizard's book, and it seems that the 12G940 (casting # on head) head he favors is a mostly non-imported, rare British part. I've seen several 12G1316's (with air rail ports) and one oddball "320". I've also heard that some foundries that produced the heads had slightly better specs than others. Also, I might have a source for a number of these 12G1316's if anyone's interested.

Thanks,

James Wiley
#72 HP Midget

I'm no expert,but I know that the castings with MOWOG #12G1316's had bigger ports and flow better.I think you need to take a bunch and have them flow tested for the best result's.Good Luck!
Joe Radosevich

There are two different versions of the 12G940 head casting. The earlier version was installed on pre-emissions Mini Coopers and '67-'68 Spridgets. It does not have air injection ports. The later version that is shown in Vizard's book is from later Minis and Metros and was not available in the US. The castings are visibly different externally, but I'm not sure if there are any real internal differences in the ports or combustion chambers. My understanding is that the earlier 12G940 has the same ports and combustion chambers as the 12G1316. Hap will probably chime in with more info.

You're suppose to look inside the exhaust valve and see if its big or small casting. I think head numbers do not matter. You want the ones where the exhaust mount is small.

Darryl Saylor":1hy5qpsn said:
You want the ones where the exhaust mount is small.

Or not at all...I wouldn't bother with a head if you see the boss impeading the flow path

ERVRCG":19x14dai said:
Darryl Saylor":19x14dai said:
You want the ones where the exhaust mount is small.

Or not at all...I wouldn't bother with a head if you see the boss impeading the flow path
Plus one for what was said about the exhaust valve boss. That is the only big physical imperfection to look for that will render the head a boat anchor for LP.

After that there are a number of theories, but they have not proven to be reliable or yield good results. I have two good heads and one is the 940 casting of which there are many variations as stated, and one 1316 head with the pollution control plugs. Both were within about 1% of each other on flow.

If you want to find one that is right up there with the best, my advice would be to find a good horseshoe and put it in a dark place. Then find as many heads as you can afford and send them to someone who has an established baseline of how they should flow. That is the only way that you will know when you have a good one. Otherwise you will have to flow all that you have and choose the best one.

Or, you could not worry about the 5% or so difference in flow between the best and the worst and just go out and race and have fun. Chances are you will have one that is in the middle somewhere and only a couple percent off of the very best. A good valve job could easily make up that difference IMHO.

I'm clear now about the desirable smaller size of the valve bosses, but "none at all"? Don't all the heads have valve guide bosses?
This is LP, remember. I can buy a number of these, anybody need one or more of these 12G1316's if I can identify the small boss versions?

Thanks,

James Wiley

there is a large X near the 12G1316 casting that makes it part of the No Go group (big exhaust guide boss). I think I've thrown out most of my 1275 heads but I'll see if I can find one & take a picture. :D

Kendall

I'm curious. Wouldn't a head from a late model UK spec Mini be legal? It's what you would get if you walked into a US BMC dealer and ordered a new replacement head. Or since those don't exsist it's what you would get if you did the same in England. To go little deeper. Would an entire A+ motor be legal? That's the block that's used in the Turbo Mini and it has strengthing ribs in the casting along with a few other improvments. If Honda's and Mazda's are allowed alternate casting number heads from non US cars then shouldn't this car get the same? I suspect the flow numbers will be slightly better than the 940 and 1316 versions. I think the real benefit is improved cooling from better casting methods.

Gary,

Since the later UK 12G940 heads have the same part number and came from the same manufacturer, I don't see how they could not be allowed.

I've looked at A+ heads & metro turbo heads, I didnt see anything that would make me think they were any better (I seem to recall they had the big exhaust boss). maybe the newer ones are different.

No problem with legality on the A+ block, its heavier though (and your not spinning it up like the FP engines).

KJ

The late model A+ head has bigger intake valves and is prone to crack between the seats. It's been pretty much covered here as for whats needed for a good LP head, look for no to very little guide hump in the exhaust port and those heads will also have a lesser guide hump in the intake as well, once you see "big hump" head and "lesser hump" head it will be rather obvious, a bad head and a good head flow about 10 cfm difference (which is huge with these engines), then once you've got a few good heads, you can also see flow numbers from one head to the next of +/- 5 cfm, James, when you find head/s you think will work, you're welcome to send to me and I'll flow them for you, I got data on probably 50 LP 1275 heads, so I know the sort of flow numbers we are looking for. I can tell you if you going thru alot of heads, its alot of work, you need to hone in on the ones you think are the good canidates and then disassemble them, degrease and then beadblast them and clean them again, just to get good honest flow numbers, they need to be clean, and not carbon filled.

As for as what makes a good LP head on a 1275, it for sure is not a casting number deal, it's more of casting flow/shift deal. I'm sure the same is true with the other LP cars as well, because I can remember 25 years ago, factory VW giving my SSC buddy different stock heads to put on his SSC car, that they had flowed and determined to be the cream of the crop.

Thanks for the info, Hap. I've got a pile of these heads, but I'm not in a position to start cleaning and flowing them all to find the Holy Grail! I'll sell some of them at a reasonable price to anyone whose interested, though; wish the darn things weren't so expensive to ship...

James Wiley
#72 HP Midget

Back