12 gallon fuel cell

Bill Meyer

Need a 12 gallon cell to replace [grossly oversize] 15 currently in the car.
Would prefer to not buy a new one if someone has a good used (or unused...) one laying around.

My only question is why go to the trouble to switch it out at all?? So long as you don't add the extra 3 gallons of fuel the weight difference is trivial. Then there's the related fab work to make it fit???????????

I have 2 2L and 1 24oz plastic coke bottles, with lids screwed tight, in the top inside of my bladder on top of the foam, allowing me to fill the cell all the way up and carry just the amount of fuel required. Thought they might degrade in the fuel but they don't. Little hokey I admit but it works great.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/atl-fuel-cells/part-type/fuel-cell-displacement-components/fuel-cell-displacement-component-type/ball

I did the same thing with oil bottles. was also woried about degradation but figured they wouldn't. I would be a thought coke bottles but didn't like the space between roung bottles. Oil bottles fit tight and i used the top slope to pool gas around pickup at bottom. Also sealed the tops with sealant.

Now you guys have me totally confused....what am I missing? Why fill the cell with empty coke bottles.........just don't fill it to the top. Calibrate a wooden dowel with a sharpie and you have it whipped. I feel a little silly here.

It's one less thing to think about. Tank full, right amount of fuel, no extra weight. Besides my fill is hard to get too.

I use the calibrated stick method religiously.
There are other (secret) reasons for wanting/needing to replace the 15 with a 12. :twisted: :think:

Back