112 leaded race fuel for the Runoffs

kentprather

Looks like it's time to pony up for a barrel of 112 octane leaded for the Runoffs. I bought a barrel last year and sold what I didn't need. I can sell up to 30 gals. at whatever price I pay for it from Smith Oil at the track. Perhaps someone has already contracted and wants to sell me 25 gals? Thanks Kent Prather

Kent,
I'll split a 55 gallon barrel of 112 with you.

One of us should pick it up on our way through Rockford IL [just to save Road America from sticking another fee up our rectum. $10 or $20 just to receive it at their front gate and another $50 to deliver it to the paddock. You can tell I have no love for the staff at RA.]

Peter

The supps specify that the fuel must be purchased from the supplier at the track. Just a note of caution. It would be a shame to have a problem if you brought fuel with you.

Here's what it says in supps.

"9.12. Fuel: All cars shall use fuel that was purchased from the track at the current year’s Runoffs. SSB, SSC and SM are limited to 93 octane unleaded
gasoline. All other classes, except those required to use diesel fuel, may choose to run any of the available gasolines. These include 93, 98 or 100
octane unleaded and 110, 112, or 116 octane leaded gasoline. The 93 and 100 octane unleaded fuels contains ethanol. Fuels should not be mixed
(ie. 98 and 100 octane). The track fuel pumps will be open Saturday, September 15th through Sunday, September 23th, 2012. 98 and 110 octane
gasoline will be available 24 hours via credit card at the permanent pumps. 93 and 100 octane gasoline will be available via attendant 8:00am-10am,
(9/15-9/16) and 8:00am-4:00pm (9/17-9/23). 112 and 116 octane gasoline and diesel fuel will be available only if pre-ordered through Smith Oil at
877-229-8105 or Roger Breeland ([email protected]) or Marty O’Brien ([email protected]).Orders for 112, 116 and diesel fuel should
be made before August 26th, 2012 to ensure availability. Only 112, 116 and diesel fuels will be sold in drums.
• Competitors shall declare which fuel they are using.
• Mixing fuels of different octanes is prohibited.
• These fuels shall be purchased from Road America and will be tested in accordance with the official Runoffs® fuel testing procedures including
physical properties, dielectric constant, and specific gravity. These procedures will be available in Tech.
• Before Tuesday’s first session or if you have changed fuel brands or types, at a MINIMUM, we recommend draining your tank/cell, then adding a
few gallons of your chosen fuel, run the car and drain the tank/cell again. Adding Runoffs compliant fuel to a fuel tank/cell containing significant
quantities of other fuel already in the fuel tank/cell is likely to result in test failures.
• Fuel testing will be available to all competitors on a voluntary basis subject to the workload in tech. Priority will be given to competitors who have
not yet had their fuel tested. The scheduled times for voluntary fuel testing will be posted at Tech.
• Fuel testing for compliance with these supplemental regulations may be implemented during qualifying and post-race inspection.
• Shipment of fuel samples to Chempro for analysis will not be possible during the Runoffs since all activities must be resolved during the event."

I read it that fuel brought in may fail the test. I do know in the past they have added something to the fuel to insure it was track purchased fuel. Not my area of tech, but I would hate to see someone DQ'ed because of trying to save a few bucks.

Good advice from Jim........even though the thought of adding something to the fuel to make sure RA sells it sucks. I wonder if they are sophisticated enough to check conformance though.

Hey, Thanks for the responses! I wasn't going to go offsite to buy fuel. If I was going to do that, I'd bring my own! However, I won't be paying for the delivery fee to my paddock spot! We managed to get the fuel in our tanks last year, so we will do it again. Thanks Jim for the rules, glad you are out there making sure we don't screw up. Hope to see you and Toni!!
Peter Z., You can split my barrel, Please get qualifed. Peter S., please get qualifed! Suz/Mazda Jon, please get qualifed! Roy L., Please get qualifed. Anybody I missed in GTL, please get qualifed!!!
Thanks Kent Prather

Peter & all. You guys know I tell it like it is. Perhaps, that's why I've ruffled some feathers in the past. The word I got on the tech calls is that the fuel does have a tracer and the tech person in charge of fuel testing ( only thing he & his crew do all week) can detect fuel brought in from outside. I know I heard several times last year that fuel failed because the tracer was not present.

I always consider my position to be one to help where I can. So, consider this my contribution for the 2012 Runoffs.

Just did the Runoffs entries and noticed some of you missing. Don't forget to enter! Sure makes for a painful trip to registration. And it happened to a defending National Champion once. Just assumed his entry was taken care of by the staff! Not!

Good luck to all of you. Toni & I are looking forward to our little visits with you.

Back