1/2" rechargeable impact

Mazda Jon

It's that time again to get ready for race season, atleast here in Colorado.

I had a cheap Harbor Freight impact that I dropped and broke and I need to replace it. I mainly used it for changing tires so It needs to have the torque to break the lugs loose.

Any recommendations for a rechargeable 1/2" impact?

Just bought a new 18v snap on. Paid a good penny for it, but it'll bust your nuts loose! Works much better than the harbor freight. Its got 2 batteries in the kit also so one should always be charged.

When mine didn't work, I did borrow a friends Snap-On. They do work nice but kind of out of my budget.

How much are they now?

Had Goodyear awhile ago, it broke. I am a huge Milwaukee fan and have the old style 9079 impact.

jason albright":2f8ebayf said:
Just bought a new 18v snap on. Paid a good penny for it, but it'll bust your nuts loose! Works much better than the harbor freight. Its got 2 batteries in the kit also so one should always be charged.

I use a Snap-On one too. Had it for 5yrs now without a problem but it was quite pricey. Don't remember for sure but I think it was over $400.

My 18 Volt Dewalt works fine for 1/2" studs up to 90 pounds. As a bonus the batteries and chargers are shared with all my drills and saws and just about any power tool you might want to purchase. I think I remember having to order the 1/2" unit on line as 3/8 drive was all I could find locally. It's gotten quite a bit of use over the last 2 years and so far, so good.

FYI, there's a test review in the most recent Grassroots Motorsports. no snap on units listed, but they had the run-of-the-mill stuff in there.

Curtis":o58clpnk said:
My 18 Volt Dewalt works fine for 1/2" studs up to 90 pounds. As a bonus the batteries and chargers are shared with all my drills and saws and just about any power tool you might want to purchase. I think I remember having to order the 1/2" unit on line as 3/8 drive was all I could find locally. It's gotten quite a bit of use over the last 2 years and so far, so good.

I'll second this. I have the 1/2 impact, drill, and sawzall. All use the same batteries and work great. Make sure you get the 18V.

I'll 3rd it - went to 18v Dewalt stuff couple months ago, and have been real happy.

Over the years have used:

Snap-on (HEAVY) :snooty:

Harbor Freight (HEAVY) :snooty:

DeWalt 14.4 V (I love it for everything :applause: except not enough balls for lugs @ 75 ft lbs) :snooty:

DeWalt 18 V (HEAVY) :snooty:

Hitachi 18 V/$250.00 (The real deal & as light as my 14.4 V DeWalt) :applause:

Jesse Prather":1ggpq0y5 said:
Curtis":1ggpq0y5 said:

I'll second this. I have the 1/2 impact, drill, and sawzall. All use the same batteries and work great. Make sure you get the 18V.

I'll 5th this... I also had good luck with an older (lower voltage) snap-on, but the batts finally killed off on it...

Back