club racing webinar

Jerry Lee Oleson

Nothing earth shattering. Elimination of some underperforming classes for the Runoffs, this
I expected. Asked for input from all members before I think it was July 15. The announcement
will be posted on the SCCA site, I believe in written form. Just Eric Prill giving us info, no Q&A.
This could very easily have been multiple hours with just positive immediate feedback and days if including negatives. Everyone will get an opportunity to respond, and I encourage all to do so. If you have positive options please let them know, maybe yours will be one they have not considered in the last 15 years. Stranger things have happened. Hope to see all my HP friends at ALL future Runoffs. Jerry

"Hope to see all my HP friends at ALL future Runoffs. Jerry"

Jerry You might hope but I would not bet on it for very long.
I read the press release too but since all my contact with SCCA is in litigation my interest in this is just curiosity and not with any thoughts of participating.

I have seen something like this before come down from the mountain and it wasnt good for the production cars [ goodby G/p] and I suspect it wont be good this time either,

I took note of the statement

"Over the years, considerable time has been spent researching, analyzing and talking with/surveying competitors, stewards, volunteers and others about the Program."

I have no doubt they have done just that , I just don't believe that it will have any impact on their decisions, The SCCA CRB and BOD will do what they want and justify it however way they want to. Just keep in mind that their goals are probably not good for prod-car racing or it's future in SCCA no matter what is said in public. The CRB and BOD have been working to get rid of the whole A to H part of the racing for years and replace it with more current cars , cars that are named Mazda and cars that SCCA manufacturer.. I had a member of the CRB tell me in a fit of anger and rare candor 30 years ago that " 75% of the problems we deal with at the CRB are with prod-cars issues and I wish we had gotten rid of all of you years ago" I believed him then and I believe him now.

" Actively manage class evolution in support of the other elements of this proposal, with some less-healthy classes being consolidated and some being removed from the Super Tour, Majors and/or Runoffs events."

I had a Board member tell me years ago that I should support class consolidation because there will be more cars in a group after consolidation and that will make for better racing. As an example there are 15 cars in H/p and 15 in G/p and there for there will be 30 cars in the new combined class. The problem is , it doesn't work out like that because people don't just want to go to the races , they want a chance to be competitive, some even want to win. There are limits to what cars can race in the same class together and everybody have a fair chance of being competitive. Only so much can be done to equalize different cars with weight and I think it has gone beyond common sense right now. Therefore many one time good competitive racers just quit.and many racers have just been left out by the club. And so you get less than the total of the two classes racing in the combined class and the total number of cars is less per weekend. And that new reduced total is used by the BOD to further show how Prod car classes are under subscribed and need to be consolidated. Kind of a no win situation.

" is to create space for an additional run group. The only way to create that space is to remove something from the current structure."

I predict, H/p this means you. they have wanted you gone for years and this is their chance, I also predict that it will be done regardless of the numbers in the classes removed and the classes retained because of the

"growth potential,"

clause,

this is the fall back reason that will be given so they can do whatever they want.. SCCA already knows what classes they want to see survive and who they want gone. This is just window dressing.

"Beginning in 2025, invited classes will be based on event type. Conference Majors will include all Majors-eligible classes while Super Tour events will include a subset of the Majors"

and lastly, I have no clue what this is supposed to mean. , but if it means that in the future some classes will have national championship races and others wont,,, well,, I have no doubt how long the classes without a race at the runnoff's will exist in the racing program of SCCA

rick haynes

Nothing earth shattering. Elimination of some underperforming classes for the Runoffs
Given HP was 13th in overall Majors participation in 2023 (12th in 2022) I don't think you have any immediate worries.

Regardless, everyone should think about what classes would be a good consolidation with their own. Not only does it increase your own numbers, it gives other club members places to play.

If you have thoughts on it, let 'em know. In talking with staff this weekend, they really would like to hear your feedback (and they've gotten a lot less feedback than you'd expect).

Great discussion but the killing of the HP enthusiasm years ago by putting the Hondas, VWs, etc. in the class certainly had an effect on numbers going for Runoff spots. When we bought our Runoffs level Sprite in '03 with the intention of going to the Runoffs we wound up right in the middle of a bunch of cars we couldn't beat and Joe Hufaker wasn't going to have time to build engines for all of us in the Spridget gang. Now all you see is early cars for sale and no one wanting to buy them. The Miata stampede was encouraged to the point of running roughshod over everything else out there to where we're going to have to change the name of the club. The fun factor seems to have eluded our SCCA leaders of the "Sports Car Club".

Given HP was 13th in overall Majors participation in 2023 (12th in 2022) I don't think you have any immediate worries.

Regardless, everyone should think about what classes would be a good consolidation with their own. Not only does it increase your own numbers, it gives other club members places to play.

If you have thoughts on it, let 'em know. In talking with staff this weekend, they really would like to hear your feedback (and they've gotten a lot less feedback than you'd expect).
Greg, what are your thoughts after talking to staff?

Greg, what are your thoughts after talking to staff?
Nothing specific. I'm inferring that staff, CRB, and BoD are in general agreement but it's still not a done deal.

Not much feedback happening from the membership right now*. While it's generally agreed upon, they're looking for feedback to ensure they aren't missing anything; after all, they're a relatively small group of people that can't possibly think of all the things that the rest of the world will come up with; the masses, as massive as they are, have a collective imagination that simply dwarfs any group's.

So if you have some thoughts, good or bad, let 'em hear it. - GA

*...except bitching on the Internet, which is the same thing as waving your leather-stringbacked-gloved fist at the clouds..."cloud", get it...?

Please look at the data. Current lap records and many wins belong to the LBC. The 1275 goes very well, the 1300 Spit goes well.
The newest cars , the Toyota and the Mazda 2 are a little light IMHO, but the data says that they are close to my VW. Our board keeps it pretty tight even tho I think that the BOP is a little slow . But other than that, things look pretty good for HP. We have 60 yrs of little cars racing pretty evenly .
I get that the LBC need another level maintenance and cash to keep up. But a full on car with a good driver is a contender. Good job board, thank you. We might be back next year with the VW.

How about Mid-Ohio, Gratten, Blackhawk or Nelson ledges. Yes , the last 3 are somewhat fancifully but there needs to be at least some lip service to creating a balance in the types of tracks the runoffs are held at, given the severe imbalance in the cars within the current prod classes.
Of course, most of the problems of this imbalance could be solved by creating 2 sub-classes within the existing H,F and E prod classes
These sub-classes would always run together, even at the runoffs. And it would allow the smaller engine / lighter cars to race against their own kind and the same with the cars at the top of each class. One qualifying, one grid sheet, one finish sheet always and. no extra classes to deal with , it would just be a matter of designating 2 different classes in the same race. That would be very easy to do in the world of transponders and computers. Every one of the current prod classes H,F,and E have, haves and have nots that would benefit from doing this

Last edited:
Well being a west Coast guy I would like Sears Point (it will always be sears point to me) Or Laguna Seca. Happened once but a guy can dream.

Well being a west Coast guy I would like Sears Point (it will always be sears point to me) Or Laguna Seca. Happened once but a guy can dream.
Well, they already have told us this will never happen again. We're the ugly stepchild class(s) on the left coast.

Last edited:
I think at this point of the show we should all thank Jason Stine for breathing life into HProd. He has done a great job into making HProd relevant again. Thank you Jason!

And thank you to Rick H, Craig C, Bob F, Gary L and Eric V for all their help with my own HProd efforts. (I feel so much better now)

Back