Drivers safety equipment

mcfoo

This past fall I did a local regional race at which the wearing of proper socks was an inspection item (post race).

Upon being asked to see my socks the tech guy indicated I was not compliant due to the fact my nomex socks did not have an FIA sticker on them.

I couldn't prove they were nomex other than to display the "BELL" logo which was sewn in on them.

I've since gone to the GCR (Dec 2021 issue) and can find no wording suggesting the FIA or any other label is required on socks.

No further action was taken by the tech inspector but I did feel compelled to ask "Santa" for two (2) new pair of FIA labeled socks to insure I was in compliance.

Did I spend money I didn't need to?

Tom B.

The rule just says

Socks made of accepted fire resistant material.

No mention of anything else. Since it’s separate from the underwear rule, which also doesn’t have a rating requirement.

Did your socks have something that said they were nomex? Or just the bell tag?

No tags, proof of material, or FIA or SFI labels needed.

At least until someone writing the GCR reads this thread.

Was there any chance that the scrutineer was joking?

Next time, offer to have him/her put the socks on his/her own feet and try to set them on fire. :lol:

We used to do the sock check and drivers got pissed. Maybe they were right.

No ratings is required on socks or gloves.
The GCR clearly states which items require a particular certification- Suit, helmet, head/neck restraint, and driver restraint system. The relevant ratings or other reference spec section is specifically called out in those specs.
In the sections which don't have a rating mentioned, gloves, socks, face coverings, goggles, and shoes all reference "accepted" nonflammabale or fire-resistant material, but do not call out any particular certification requirement.

The tech was wrong.

Whenever told anything is illegal you have one option. Politely ask the tech official to show you the section of the GCR they are referencing. Now you have the proper conversation.

Amen.

And emphasis on the "polite". I got into a debate at an event with an inspector in regards to my cage design. He insisted that the cage in my hard top Nissan NX2000 had to pass the broom test and wouldn't sign it off. I lost my cool and stormed over to the chief tech inspector, described our disagreement, and demanded resolution.

He smiled, reached into his briefcase, and silently handed me a volunteer form to become a scrutineer.

Similar thing happened with a steward: arguing in impound about something, stewie is wrong. I find the Chief Steward to argue it, he signs me up for the Steward-In-Training program.

Yeah, I don't argue with the registrars...

(Seriously, consider signing up as a scrutineer. It's a pretty interesting role.)

Back