Hp and 2 litre ITB cars

Stiner0931":3gum5umx said:
lb11":3gum5umx said:
Yes he was running the Nankang and David was running Hoosier slicks, the mk3 2325 weight is high, at least need 100 lbs reduction before it is close to mk2 performance.

You need more than 1 car, 1 driver, and 1 data point to make a blanket statement like that...

Agreed.
Same suspension.
2" wider track.
Bigger brakes.
Better OEM aero.
A whole new development cycle on the cross flow head, but on top of a bored and stroked essentially identical bottom end.

We will need some more data points before anyone can be confident in something as big as a 100# move for the car.

I have it as 50# light. I have an equation somplace for the VWs. 2.0 , crossflow head, 7mm plus narrowed stems to 5.81?
A stock 2.0 car makes 113HP on my dyno with Microsquirt. The stock 1.8 makes 92. Both on the same dyno tires.
The race versions should make about 132/ 128TQ for the 1.8, and about 145/144TQ for the 2.0 . Plus 13 MOL over the very good 1.8.
Maybe we can run Davids car and my car on my Dyno to get hard DATA.

We just really have to be sure not to do to HP that the IT board did to ITB. They put this car in to ITB and ruined it , never adjusting the weight and running the other cars out. Up side is now many more of us race Prod. And the AD board does a decent job.

I wont mention the Spridget, Spitfire and Honda CRX that are 100 too light.

They did adjust the Mk3 ITB weight, but they never reset the Mk2 after the performance bogey moved to where the Porsche and Hondas were.
Right about, or just after I left.

The HP will allow the MK3 to pull with any of the smaller cars as it is now , but in addition keep pulling at the top with more power and Torque . Maybe require stock mirrors in the erect position???

Mike, Maybe you should dyno a better 1.8l. They had 105 flywheel HP from the factory. Your Mk3 dyno numbers are high on the torq for the Mk3 also. For the record, I have Not asked for a weight reduction. It's way to early to do that. I will say that my Mk3 does feel heavy compared to the FP weight that I'm accustomed to. I'm prepping for the Majors at Sebring. Going to look at a different gear. See you at the races

Yes I agree that it is still early to make any judgment like Jason mentioned before.
Two VW Mk3 will be running at Sebring, David Golf and my new Jetta but I will not be driving it ( I will be driving my Miata EP ), the person that will drive my car never raced at Sebring before, I am hopping he will learn the track quickly, you all know him and he is a great VW driver but I will not post his name until he decided to do that.
Hope these 2 mk3 at Sebring will give us more data for comparison with other HP cars.

Back