October 2020 Fastrack - The Brake Rules...

"The ship has sailed"* for feedback to the CRB; they have already made their recommendation to the BoD.

You should contact your BoD rep and give them your feedback on the proposal, so they can consider it alongside the CRB's.

Greg

*That's the other one I was trying to remember.

Greg Amy":1lao8s1h said:
"The ship has sailed"* for feedback to the CRB; they have already made their recommendation to the BoD.

You should contact your BoD rep and give them your feedback on the proposal, so they can consider it alongside the CRB's.

Greg

*That's the other one I was trying to remember.

I didn't see "Elvis has left the building" or "that ship has sailed" in you missive...

Any letter that was submitted after the proposed ruleset was first published and recommended by the CRB, either in support of or in opposition to it, were all sent up to the BOD level for them to consider while they're making the final decision to ratify the proposed ruleset or not.

So when can we expect the ruleset to be finalized? I have stuff identified that upgrades the Midget to vented rotors, 4 pot calipers and modern pads which will run about $1200. But we aren't traveling, not going out to eat, etc., so it's not a burden -

BoD meeting at the National Convention.

(I'll be there lobbying, so don't click the purchase button yet. Just kidding.)

$1200 from everyone and life will be much better in Prod. Right?

Why do you need to change your brakes if they work fine for you? What am I missing? Just because the rule says you can doesn't mean you have to. There are plenty of cars running well in Prod with far from the latest, greatest, lightest, most powerful, etc setups. If you like the brakes on your car, don't change them, save the $1200 and buy another set of tires or sign up for three track days to learn to drive faster.

However if you have 8.0 non vented rotors on the front of your 2150lb car, too bad, get back to racing. Sorry Al. :mrgreen:

Thank you all on the PAC for all the hard work and explanation. Currently re-building an HP car. Have not raced it yet, so I appreciate all the inputs from the group. :applause:

Does anyone know when the BOD will actually vote on this? Will the results come out promptly?

I'm dying to order my new spiffy vented rotors but don't want to jinx things by jumping the gun! :)

Hooray, thanks for the update - I thought we were still waiting for the (now virtual) Annual Convention.

This will be the best $25 upgrade I ever made to my race car!! :)

Thanks PAC, CRB, BOD, USPS and anyone else involved!

That's kinda interesting, given they were posted as "will be presented to the Board of Directors for approval at their National Convention meeting."

When did the Board meet to approve these? If they have not, maybe someone on the staff jumped the gun on publishing these regs? How many others regs may have been approved/declined/jumped the gun?

I'd not go spending coin today until this is clarified. Tomorrow maybe, but not today.

The BOD met and made their approvals/disapprovals back in late November, which I believe is "their National Convention", not the SCCA National Convention. Maybe. I don't know. Either way, the January GCR does indeed have everything in it that they ratified, which includes the new Prod brake rules, wholly as originally presented.

kruck":2kk8cruq said:
The BOD met and made their approvals/disapprovals back in late November, which I believe is "their National Convention", not the SCCA National Convention.
Thanks for the update, Kevin.

PaulL":2kk8cruq said:
Has anybody noticed how silent they are about ABS brakes!!!
They're not. I requested stock unmodified ABS with stock unmodified brakes as an alternative to these alternate brake setups, and it was declined. Letter #28644, my "Thank you for your letter" was published in September(?) 2020 Fastrack.

I called SCCA Club Racing tech dept yesterday afternoon and was told basically the same thing by Scott - that the BOD has indeed approved this rule change and that we are good to go. He thought that the "Convention" bit was actually incorrect, that it was handled in an earlier session as Kevin states.

So here's a "tech" question -

When buying off-the-shelf OEM style brake rotors for use in sprint racing (ie SCCA Prod racing), is one brand / price point as good as the next? I've typically bought name European brand rotors but wonder if they are actually better than Brand X Chinese? It IS just a simple piece of cast iron, OTOH it IS rather critical to having a good weekend at the track. I've never had a rotor failure btw, knock on wood, maybe because I've always run European?

Back