prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:34 am 

Wondering if local regions generally give their runoffs-bound drivers any financial assistance? And if so, how much?

I'm asking because my region, Blue Mountain, might have one of our members heading to VIR this year, and our current board hasn't ever had to deal with this question.

Thanks,

Rich

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:05 pm 

It has been me experience that the San Francisco region gives no support to the drivers that are going to the Runoffs. I hope that your region can give you something.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:00 pm 

Colorado Region, zero. Willing to change regions if anyone knows of one that does,:O)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:03 am 

Nothing from Western Michigan Region (WMR) either. Ohio Valley Region (OVR) used to pay for Runoffs entries but that was back in the day when entry fees were $200. That OVR policy may be looooong gone. I know of no regions that pay entry fees.

Your BoD should tread lightly on this. Other participants will want support if they qualify for the the Solo, RallyX, etc. championships.

Report what you find as I’m curious about how this will play out.

Dayle

(please do NOT PM me through this site as I cannot respond to them)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:30 am 

Dayle Frame wrote:
Ohio Valley Region (OVR) used to pay for Runoffs entries but that was back in the day when entry fees were $200. That OVR policy may be looooong gone. I know of no regions that pay entry fees.

Your BoD should tread lightly on this. Other participants will want support if they qualify for the the Solo, RallyX, etc. championships.

As an OVR member, I can confirm this, as yes OVR then eventually got "urged" to also support their Solo and Rally National Championship participants as well. I believe the current OVR offering is that if you're an OVR member, you run their June Super Tour event, and you attend the Runoffs, then you'll get some bit of help. I don't remember it ever being enough for a full entry fee expense (since my first Runoffs in 2009); half maybe? Either way, it's still a decent chunk of money, and appreciated. It's my understanding that many years ago when the word got out that OVR was covering Runoffs entry fees for their members, then all of a sudden a whole lot of people who do not live in the OVR area, became OVR members. That's probably when the "must attend the OVR National/Majors/Super Tour too" stipulation came in, to try and curb the "free money" cherry pickers. I don't know that for sure though.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:10 pm 

Sounds reasonable

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:13 pm 

First off, thanks to all for your input :-)

Blue Mountain Region (BMR) has decided to give our Runoffs-bound member (Dave Yeager, HP) $250 to help finance his effort. Not a lot of money, but it should at least pay for the fuel to get there.

In return, Dave will be required to display a BMR banner in his paddock each day he's at VIR, and submit an event report to our board after the event.

BMR is a small region, less than 200 members. Our big thing is Hillclimbs. ( Check out Duryea Hillclimb on youtube for videos). Having a member compete in a National Championship event is uncommon, so we're not concerned about future requests for assistance.

Thanks again for the feedback, and we wish everyone good luck at The Runoffs!

Rich

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 pm 

Way to go, BMR. It's great that you can support your driver/region member headed to VIR. Large regions would find this difficult to do. There's over 160 drivers from the SEDiv regions of which 40 are from Atlanta region.
Many years ago I found that I couldn't run enough races in SEDiv to make the Runoffs so I joined a small region in SWDiv. Imagine my surprise at the end of the year when I got a plaque proclaiming me region driver of the year. Of course, I was their only National driver who went to the Runoffs but it still made me feel good that they took the time & expense to recognize me.
Rich, be sure you take a picture of your region banner with a bunch of spectators hanging around your car and send it to the newsletter/website. You will be famous like Danny Steyn. (Cover of latest SportsCar Mag).
See you soon.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:19 am 

Oregon Region used to have a Tow fund that was pretty decent but had to discontinue it about the time the runoffs came to laguna.

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:52 am 

SCCA use to have a travel fund in the '70's when the run-offs were in Road Atlanta. Fla drivers didn't get so much but it was something. California drivers got the most because they traveled farther. Besides, everything else was free. Room, entry, party's, everything. (72-73 era.)
Would be nice if all regions would support their drivers.