prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:57 am 

In preparation for hopefully getting back on track early next year, I bought a new Holley Red electric fuel pump. In reading the instructions and talking to a tech rep, the idea is to put it as close to the fuel cell as possible, and below the fuel level for gravity feed. The rep said that it pushes fuel a lot better than pulls. In my bugeye, it is pretty much impossible to put it in the trunk area, and had the old pump mounted in the axle well. I didn't seem to have a problem in that location. Any suggestions from the British crowd on where the optimum place is? Thanks in advance.

Craig

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:09 pm 

We have a 7 lb Carter pump located just inside the right spring perch where the lever shock used to sit on our Production car. A 6AN line carries fuel into the trunk to a bowl filter mounted just inside the fire wall and then inside on the right side of the tunnel over to the left inner fender to a fuel pressure regulator with a small pressure gauge on it. It splits off either end to the carbs with a fuel sample shrader valve and short hose.

Other car uses two Facet pumps hooked together with a bowl filter between them and the fuel cell mounted in the trunk on the right side just behind the fire wall. Same in the car routing inside the car to the left fender well. The Facet pumps pump just fine being just even with the fuel cell... assuming you are going to mount the cell half way up into the floor, and will pump through each other or both at the same time. Needed that feature once when we had 96 ambient and 135 track temps. Buy a good pressure regulator and run around 3 pounds pressure.

If you PM me an e-mail address I'll send you some pictures.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:13 pm 

Craig, I have run two stock pumps in the axle well, one in the stock location, for many years. The only problem I ever had was the fuel pump stopped working while on the track and that was what prompted me to two run two of them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:06 pm 

I have two Facet cube low pressure pumps on individual switches in my Sprite. Both are mounted on top of the cell one pulls from the left rear of the cell the other the right rear. -6 inside the cell, 5/16 to the pumps, a tee between them and up to the carbs. Then another tee and 1/4 to each carb. Gauge shows 3lb pressure with either or both pumps. No regulator needed. Yes electric pumps push better than pull but I think that applys more to the guy that puts one in the engine compartment of his 70's big block motorhome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:50 pm 

Thanks for the replies, and Bob, thanks for the pictures. That is where mine is mounted. The Holley tech guy asked what the length of the hoses were that ran from the cell to the pump. One goes from the pickup to a bulkhead fitting behind the axle, and one goes from there to the pump. He seemed to believe that I should be fine. Again, never had a problem with the old pump in that location. Thanks again.

Craig

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:52 am 

In my Bugeye I run the Holley right above the fuel cell without any issues, #6 lines to filter to pump to carbs. It is capable of self priming where some of the others could have issues. Way more fuel pump then I need but have had it forever on various products and it's rebuildable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:26 pm 

I run a pair of Facets (cylindrical kind not the cube version) mounted a couple of inches above the cell (a few inches to the port side). Like others, I run an AN6 line from the cell to the pumps to a T to the filter to the fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay......from the reg to the carbs I use AN4 lines. FYI....I set the pressure to about 3 psi.

Dayle