ITA 91 CRX conversion to FP

blamkin86":1u1g8pje said:
I respectfully disagree.

If you have a closed car, only B applies.

If you retain the stock windshield, none of the wording for the replacement window applies.

What do you disagree with? I didn't make a statement, just posted the words from the GCR.

blamkin86":1ed4w9aa said:
Someone was suggesting we had to put straps on stock windshields.

Sorry wasn't sure who it was.

Yeah, that is why I posted that, so there was no confusion.

Then of course there is this little tidbit in the top of the GCR

Polycarbonate windshields such as Lexan are allowed except in Improved Touring, American Sedan, B-Spec,
Spec Miata, and Touring. Alternate windshields must be of 6mm minimum thickness.
Windshield safety clips and rear window safety straps are required on all closed cars, except on American
Sedan, B-Spec, Spec Miata, Touring, Improved Touring, and Super Touring, where they are optional. Alternatively,
no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to
the frame.

3 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the body at the top of the windshield.
2 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the cowl and extend over the bottom edge of
the windshield. Clips shall be spaced a minimum of 12 inches apart.
It is recommended that 3 – 1 inch wide strips of steel or aluminum be installed behind the windshield to
support it from collapsing inwards if it becomes damaged. The rear window shall be secured with 2 metal
straps (1 inch wide x 1/8 inch thick) bolted or riveted to the body at the top and bottom of the rear window.

So do you need clips and straps on the stock windshield since it isn't bolted to the frame? Why are AS, B-spec, SM, IT, and ST, exempt? Do their windshields, side windows and rear windows have special properties that help keep them in place without the magic clips and straps?

Perhaps that could be SLIGHTLY less confusing SCCA.

Brett W":1ikegqt5 said:
blamkin86":1ikegqt5 said:
Someone was suggesting we had to put straps on stock windshields.

Sorry wasn't sure who it was.

Yeah, that is why I posted that, so there was no confusion.

Then of course there is this little tidbit in the top of the GCR

Polycarbonate windshields such as Lexan are allowed except in Improved Touring, American Sedan, B-Spec,
Spec Miata, and Touring. Alternate windshields must be of 6mm minimum thickness.
Windshield safety clips and rear window safety straps are required on all closed cars, except on American
Sedan, B-Spec, Spec Miata, Touring, Improved Touring, and Super Touring, where they are optional. Alternatively,
no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to
the frame.

3 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the body at the top of the windshield.
2 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the cowl and extend over the bottom edge of
the windshield. Clips shall be spaced a minimum of 12 inches apart.
It is recommended that 3 – 1 inch wide strips of steel or aluminum be installed behind the windshield to
support it from collapsing inwards if it becomes damaged. The rear window shall be secured with 2 metal
straps (1 inch wide x 1/8 inch thick) bolted or riveted to the body at the top and bottom of the rear window.

So do you need clips and straps on the stock windshield since it isn't bolted to the frame? Why are AS, B-spec, SM, IT, and ST, exempt? Do their windshields, side windows and rear windows have special properties that help keep them in place without the magic clips and straps?

Perhaps that could be SLIGHTLY less confusing SCCA.

Back when the Prod rules were written how many cars had glued in OE glass? Most of the old stuff likely did not, and I suspect that is where the rule came from.

When we built our 1970' Corolla I was shocked how easily the installer was able to remove the windshield and swap out the pressure fit gasket.

I'm no longer running a stock windshield

That said, if I was, I'd make them write that one in the logbook.

It is no safer, in any way shape or form, to have extra clips added to the stock windshield.

I get that rules are rules, but seriously.

Brett W":1b956cd1 said:
Perhaps its time to "modernize" the rules?

Current Prod rules were rewritten within the last 10-15 years so not all that old. Not to say that they didn't continue some very old rules evolution, they did.

blamkin86":3qcrhh5j said:
I'm no longer running a stock windshield

That said, if I was, I'd make them write that one in the logbook.

It is no safer, in any way shape or form, to have extra clips added to the stock windshield.

I get that rules are rules, but seriously.

I sorta disagree. Bonded windshields can come loose, I've had one come completely unattached on a street car. Would actually have fallen out under braking except it was captured by trim on the lower edge. I could push the upper edge out and forward about 2-3". Not common I know!

Al Seim":dd21qpxc said:
I sorta disagree. Bonded windshields can come loose, I've had one come completely unattached on a street car. Would actually have fallen out under braking except it was captured by trim on the lower edge. I could push the upper edge out and forward about 2-3". Not common I know!

Al - fair point. But if that’s the concern then let’s put straps and clips on every stock windshield in every class. See my point? Why is only prod saddled with clips on stock windshields?

blamkin86":22xg0jzz said:
Al Seim":22xg0jzz said:

Al - fair point. But if that’s the concern then let’s put straps and clips on every stock windshield in every class. See my point? Why is only prod saddled with clips on stock windshields?

Bill - fair point! :)

That is one of the things about SCCA. The safety rules aren't applied the same across all classes. Everyone gets some version of different rules. Like Bill said, is the windshield any more likely to pop out in a Prod car vs an American Sedan or IT car? I doubt it.

So here is where I ended up:
OE glass windshield with upper and lower exterior clips.
OE glass hatch with exterior straps.

Best I can tell, this is compliant. However, I will write a letter asking for clarification and perhaps suggest elimination of the straps and clips on OE glass that are installed in an OE manner.

Will be running as an ITA car in FP this weekend. I have more to do to be officially an FP car.

Jason@SportsCar":27rj33nm said:
raffaelli":27rj33nm said:
I am in the market for some shocks. I have Koni Race now. Replace them with the same?

Why not have them rebuilt?

I considered that and still am. But without to much research, it seems that the cost between new and rebuilt isn't that great.

raffaelli":17jjbk9q said:
Jason@SportsCar":17jjbk9q said:
raffaelli":17jjbk9q said:
I am in the market for some shocks. I have Koni Race now. Replace them with the same?

Why not have them rebuilt?

I considered that and still am. But without to much research, it seems that the cost between new and rebuilt isn't that great.

You going to run the same spring rates as you move from IT to FP? The rebuild is an opportunity to change the valving.

I know Lee will argue with me, but the Koni "race" shock is a revalved Koni Sport. They are an emulsion shock, low tech at best. I would step up to a "grown up shock", like a Bilstein, Penske, JRI, Ohlins, Dynamics, etc. Yup, not cheap like Koni race shocks, but totally worth it. Koni does offer "grown up shocks". Their 2800, 8200 and 3100 series shocks are top level stuff.

The last set of Koni race shocks I had rebuilt, Koni couldn't do them so they went to Performance Shock. Nice shop, but they can't re-charge the nitrogen in the shocks? So basically they just depressurized the shock and set it back. Thanks.

I am running Bilstein shocks, and there are bunch of options there. You can take any of the race car specific shock parts and fit them into regular old Bilstein street shocks. Adjustable shafts, custom valving, remote canisters. etc/ You could easily take a set of off the shelf Bilsteins and build them the way you need them. (assuming you are working with a proper shock builder)

What ever you decide to do, work with a competent shock builder who is familiar with what you are trying to achieve. Also make sure they aren't stuck in the old school ways of thinking regarding shock valving. Good shocks make all the difference in the world.

PaulL":10o11oes said:
I have a set of bilstein shocks that I would like to rebuild and upgrade. Who would you recommend?

RPI Suspension. They are in the shop next to mine, plus he builds my shocks and the shocks I bring over for my customers.

Back